Sign in to follow this  
RobyD

MK4 golf brakes?

The key to successful rear braking is to file down the carriers where the pads sit and paint them.... otherwise the pads rust solid to them.

MK4 calipers are maintanence free.

K

How do chaps, re: mk4 rear callipers, i had these fitted to my C before it got written off :( , and it worked fine but i did have very long brake pedal travel, some peeps said this is due to them having biger pistons thus needing more fluid to move them same amount. Anyone else noticed this?

My pedal does seem to move quite a long way, but I can't really say what it was like before as I didn't drive it for long :(

My pedal is fine, hardly any travel.......but then I used thicker MK4 pads.....which *does* make a difference to the pedal travel.

My pedal travel is also fine, and I've got the Brembos on the front too! 8)

Kev? I still can't see how thicker pads makes a difference once the caliper's taken up the slack after the first press after fitting the pads... I think you're imagining it mate! ;) :D

My pedal could of course be a bit spongey because the bodyshop didn't bleed the brakes properly when they replaced the hoses...:roll: I'll check this evening

Kev? I still can't see how thicker pads makes a difference once the caliper's taken up the slack after the first press after fitting the pads... I think you're imagining it mate! ;) :D

Why don't you try the MK4 pads and see for yourself? I'm not imagining anything mate.

I don't know why exactly they make a difference but they do. MK4 pads are also slitghtly deeper btw, so wipe more of the disc :wink:

fair enough... I'll sling a set on next pad change (or when I finally get my arse in gear and fix the rear ABS rotors! :oops: :lol: ) 8)

Still don't understand how they could affect the pedal travel though... :|

It's something to do with the initial setup mate. Steve at C&R went into it in great detail. Something to do with having the piston retracted a certain distance into the caliper, hence the 98 MK3 GTI pads being the right thickness blah blah.....

It works anyway cause that 33K Storm I drove the other night had loads of pedal travel with it's standard calipers, but mine has none - and they're even better now that Vince fitted Goodridge hoses all round :wink:

Yeah he can talk but he's passionate about doing things right and won't just give you a yes or no answer like some places would.

Yeah, he was telling me that I really should get the front hoses done at the same time as the rears, but I couldn't justify the extra £50 and a load of labour :(

I've spent about £2.5k on my C already and I've only had it just under 3 months! And that's only £500 on getting the tree incident fixed...

Yeah he can talk but he's passionate about doing things right and won't just give you a yes or no answer like some places would.

yes very passionate,

but some of the things he says+ the prices he quotes take the p*ss sometimes :wink: :lol:

so you are local to notts then kev?

ive noticed a sweet blue g60 at c+r a few times quite recently, anyone know whos that is?

Nah not local to Notts, about 2 hours away. I used to go there a lot when I had my MK2s but got fed up with him saying my conrod bearings needed changing everytime I visited, and they were fine! He's a decent enough bloke though and certainly knows his stuff. But he hates 16Vs and VR6s and makes that very apparent sometimes :?

i thought he loved 16v's :?:

well, he has got a pretty seriously tuned mk2 16v (200bhp) :twisted:

yeh, he does make it very obvious that he dislikes VR6's, even to the point where he says that they attack him on purpose :lol:

hi folks just to clarify:

to upgrade the rear calipers I need:

mk4 calipers off a solid disced car (all models ok?)

adapter hoses

mk3 gti pads

so the discs are identical as the C ones? I think Id get the calipers from a breaker and the pads/hoses from C&R

thanks all

hi folks just to clarify:

to upgrade the rear calipers I need:

mk4 calipers off a solid disced car (all models ok?)

adapter hoses

mk3 gti pads

so the discs are identical as the C ones? I think Id get the calipers from a breaker and the pads/hoses from C&R

thanks all

As far as I know yes. But the disks are a slightly different thickness (hence needing slightly different pads). Other than that you should be OK.