Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Infinity Basslink.. stopped working!

I'm a little stumped. Like everything else with cars, i'm not even too hot when it comes to car electronics.

My Infinity Basslink seems to have just stopped working - I looked in the boot and it still seems to be recieving power ok (switch off the head unit, power light goes out on sub - switch on head unit, power comes back on to sub) but i'm just getting NO sound out of it at all.

Checked all the connections on the sub end are secure, checked them on the back of the head unit (all I can see from the back of the head unit are two molded 'phono' style leads coming out which then attach to two blue leads which run around the car and into the sub) - so I can't see why its not working! :(

Any suggestions? Can't believe the sound difference without it! :(

Get it out and fit a *real* sub :lol:

LOL, only joking....

With it powered up, try feeding it from a different source, a mini-disc player or personal CD player for example? That will outrule the basslink and point the finger at the HU or the interconnects.

If still no sound.... looks like the Basslink has expired :?

Yeah - gonna throw the iPod (not literally) at it tomorrow and see if it produces any noise.

Bloody hope it hasn't packed up :(

basslink is cool...such a osrted peice of kit...

as kev says..work out if its the eadunit or the basslink. try running other cables down the car to see if the current ones have worn through

I've just got me a nice head unit and some decent front components.. now I'm not sure if I should go for some 6x9's on a stealth shelf, a basslink or both.... what you guys reckon?

Oh and good luck with fixing yours Jim :(

basslink is cheap, chearfull and sounds great...you can hear mine when we meet up...

i dont have 6x9's and my system sounds fine but i guess they would add a bit more mid range

I have (had?) Infinty 6x9's, Focal Components in the front door pods and Basslink in the boot - sounds was great really, no problems at all.

I recently also snapped a connector on one of my 6x9's (ooh thats loose - what happens if I *snap* - ahh crap) and after a failed attempt to resoulder that, I am now down a speaker on the rear shelf too. Its almost comical but its sodding annoying :(

Yup all the Corrado needs is some nice components down front and a decent sub in the rear.... forget the 6*9's...

Jim - it sounds like the amp has expired on the basslink mate.

Yeah the 6x9's aren't the coolest thing ever - the only reason was that when lee was trying to find a black parcel shelf for his black interior swap over, the only one he could find was one that was pre-drilled for 6x9's - so it seemed a bit silly to leave the holes open and plumbed some in. If I can find a black Corrado parcel shelf, i'd happily consider dropping em tbh.

As for the Basslink's amp having gone pop - well - that would suck if thats what it is! Will hopefully be trying out my iPod on it tonite so will let you know how it goes.

if the amp is dead get yourself a small amp and power the sub off it.

I happen to have a few small 2ch amps for sale if that would help :idea:

(shameless yes)

if the amp is dead get yourself a small amp and power the sub off it.

I happen to have a few small 2ch amps for sale if that would help :idea:

(shameless yes)

Thanks for the offer but i'd prefer not to get tinkering with the electronics side of this when I have absolutely NO idea how to do it :)

there isnt much to it. you have power, remote, phono all coming along anyway so just plug these into an amp (easy so far).

then cut the outputs of the basslink amp (the 2 wires to the sub) and wire these to the outputs of the new amp.

seems a shame to waste the sub/box part of the basslink when all you need is a cheap amp to run it. ebay is full of them. if you can find one small enoung to fit to the basslink box then even better :D

Well if it turns out to be the amp, then I might consider something like this :)

my shameless plug is done jim - any 2ch or small mono amp would do the job.

I did this with an old bass cannon I had (back in the day when these werent as despised as they are now ;))

I did this with an old bass cannon I had (back in the day when these werent as despised as they are now ;))

LOL....

I used to have an original 'Bazooka' many years ago :lol:

Back in the day, we were always experimenting with boxes and tubes and the best bass response we ever got was from pinching a section of yellow underground plastic pipe from a building site and stuck a Rockford 15" sub in one end, and blocked off the other end!

It was *really* loud :lol:

Back in the day, we were always experimenting with boxes and tubes and the best bass response we ever got was from pinching a section of yellow underground plastic pipe from a building site and stuck a Rockford 15" sub in one end, and blocked off the other end!

Back in the day....lol.. :lol: ..your all so old!!

the plastic pipe idea sounds great though :lol:

Aye, some of us are old wrinklies :lol:

Been faffing about with Car stereos (and cars) since 1992. Remember 'handbag' stereos? You lot get it easy with your faceplate removables.....old grandad here used to have to pull the entire stereo out with a handle and carry it around, LOL!

The plastic pipe was class..... we saw it on a building site as we drove past and it was such a fluke..... the exact diameter for a 15" rockford and the exact length to fit in an XR2 boot :-P

Ok - easiest test first was just running line out of my iPod using a cable that splits into L/R phono cables.. made sure the sub was powered, hooked it up to the same channels that the head unit runs into and nothing.

So seems like the internal amplifier on the thing is shagged then! :(

As I managed to split the forum incorrectly (grr) i've lost a few more posts on here that were made.

The short and skinny was - tried all inputs, etc and think the sub is dead pretty much. Possibly need to consider the possibility of buying a new one or just doing the suggested bodge job using a cheapo 2 channel amp as suggested by pablo_vr6.

here is a thought - could the speaker itself have blown and the amp be ok?

guess the only to test would be to disconnect the sub and measure the impedence across it with a multimeter to see if its gone open circuit.

just a thought before you run off and buy an amp.