Sign in to follow this  
DubWhiZZ

The 6x9 vs Chaviness Debate

6x9s = chav central :)

do bless us with your excellent knowledge on how to uprate the sounds in most if not all cars without the appearance of being a chav by using 6x9's. and then tell me which hifi installer you work for so i can steer well clear.

Matt

do bless us with your excellent knowledge on how to uprate the sounds in most if not all cars without the appearance of being a chav by using 6x9's. and then tell me which hifi installer you work for so i can steer well clear.

Matt

Actually Matt, 6x9s are pretty much the biggest, nastiest cheapest, compromise of a speaker design out there... :p

You'd get a much clearer, cleaner and louder sound out of a set of 6" components (mid and tweeter) with a decent set of crossovers and a decent sub and matched box in the boot...

6x9s have only become seriously popular 'cos they are reasonably cheap and due to their shape give a halfway decent bass response as well as a halfway decent mid-end too which, when added to their built in tweeter, gives a halfway decent full range (ish) speaker...

It's the cheap and nasty compromise, instead of doing it properly with individual matched components .... Have a close look at any manufacturer's professional install and show me the 6x9s in their car... ;) :p

Jim, next time we meet up, I'll have a quick look at it for ya... odds are it's something simple on it if the lights are on but you have no noise coming out of it... 8)

6x9s = chav central :)

Matt

PMSL you obviously know it all but imHo - 2/3 way components in the front with suitable subbage in the rear. its that easy ;) I prefer 3ways myself but the layout of some cars doesnt always lend itself to easy installation.

Every car I have owned the rear speakers get immedietly disconnected.

how can you get stage depth and width nailed if there is a high pitched screech coming out of the 50p tweeters they use in 6x9s? imaging / staging / balance all out the window. but i guess you can show off to your mates down tescos carpark with remarks like "HEAR MY BASS PUMPIN MAN!!!" :roll:

6x9s have their place - need the overall sound lifted and a bit of bass but cant afford/be bothered with subs and amps then 6x9s are for you. My remark was a little tongue in cheek sure but if you want a PROPER install lose the ovals!

kev - I hear ya on the genny subs - they are an exception. focal and JL also do small subs for when a proper sub/box isnt appropriate.

Any more Qs matt? :-P

Hmmm. 6x9s vs three way component setups. Tricky one.

I'll let you know my opinion when I've found the fascia for my stereo (I know the car came with one), oh and a decent tape to put in it. ;)

decent tape

Oxymoron?

"IRONY and SARCASM" ... ;)[/quote:1bec4]

Appreciated, I might have been taking a slur at your musical tastes? :lol:

Matt

Actually Matt, 6x9s are pretty much the biggest, nastiest cheapest, compromise of a speaker design out there... :p

hifi in a car is a compromise in itself. it just so happens that you can get a very good sound out of 6x9's for not much money. tell me why that instantly makes me a chav.

and remember what i listen to my boss tunage thru when you're trying to teach me about speakers and compromises mate ;)

oh yeah, you introduced me to the cone shaped wonders when you bought those jbl 6x4's that time too :p

Matt

(im off shopping tomorrow for some neons, burburry and a sunstrip... well, i am actually going to get 1 of those 3. first one to pm me which gets a dubforce sticker!)

It's the cheap and nasty compromise, instead of doing it properly with individual matched components .... Have a close look at any manufacturer's professional install and show me the 6x9s in their car... ;) :p

My Cerwin Vega 6x9s were 150 quid surely they cannot be called cheap and nasty. Agreed seperate speakers do the job better but they can be a fair amount of trouble to installl.

Gavin

Spot on that man...... components need a lot of care and attention during the install and setup....but get it right and the rewards are immense.

My Cerwin Vega 6x9s were 150 quid surely they cannot be called cheap and nasty.

I wouldn't call them cheap, for £150. But HiFi they ain't. Cerwin Vega are known for being loud and bassy, that's all. Not my cup of tea at all..

typical of USA speakers - lack the refinement of the euro stuff imo.

its horses for courses in most cases. sometimes loud and bassy is whats required.

a nova 1.3SR is a great car but its chav central also - why? I rest my case :D

you havent stated a case? in fact you didn't state a case for calling 6x9's chav. what is your balanced arguement for that statement?...

Matt

*yawn*

ok if I must:

6x9s are kak because:

they corrupt the sound stage (the 5 tweeters in each brings the stage back destroying all depth)

they are not to the same quality as component speakers

they claim 5000w power handling yet provide *pounding* bass off the HU

most of them look like tat on a stick

market stalls are full of them and 10000w jetsound amps for £30

they are bullied by subs (sharing the same air space and all)

chavs love them

chavs run them WELL into distortion and think its earth moving bass

hence the chav image.

*yawn*

ok if I must:

6x9s are kak because:

you said chav not kak. make your mind up.

they corrupt the sound stage (the 5 tweeters in each brings the stage back destroying all depth)

car hifi is always gonna be a compromise. im pretty sure that 6x9's ina rear shelf will create a similar sound to, erm a mid and tweet installed in a rear shelf or those 6x4 speakers in the rear shelf supports...

sweeping generalisation. depends what brand you buy.

> RMS figures are the ones to watch but all manufacturers quote peak figures for both their 6x9's or mids n tweets.

your opinion and nothing to do with chav when they're stealthed away surely?

not round here otherwise id have more of em, maybe i should pick some up to put in my dash...

dont you put your subs in a box?

chavs love them

hence the chav image.

that doesn't make them a bad thing? maybe chavs have realised they're a great compromise between quality and cost. they produce a decent enough sound for not much money.

at the end of the day you can come out with as many general statements as you want but you cant argue that for the guy who wants some rear fill without the hassle of installing components that 6x9s stealthed into a shelf are the choice.

if you want to argue about whether or not they can produce a decent enough sound then maybe you should listen to a few sets...

Matt

I agree with DubWhiZZ that for cheap, reasonable quality sound you can't go wrong with a decent set of 6x9s - and there are some decent sets out there. Just because they're perceived as "chav" may not be enough of a reason for those with limited cash/ability/enthusiasm to take their car install to the next level. At the same time I agree with pablo_vr6 that 6x9s offer far from a sound-off quality performance. I reckon you two are arguing different points here. Sure, 6x9s are not the be all and end all of car stereo equipment but they certainly have a place in the market.

Ok - lets wrap up this little argument please chaps. I think its gone on long enough - take it to PM if you have to!

*yawn*

ok if I must:

6x9s are kak because:

you said chav not kak. make your mind up.

chav = kak in my book, obviously not in yours tho??

car hifi is always gonna be a compromise. im pretty sure that 6x9's ina rear shelf will create a similar sound to, erm a mid and tweet installed in a rear shelf or those 6x4 speakers in the rear shelf supports...

why does car hifi have to be a comprise at all? decent HU, 4ch amp, decent front components, single sub is all thats needed to win competitions. I knew a guy used £18 from mids and came second in SQ. Car HIFI does not at all have to be a comprimise.

sweeping generalisation. depends what brand you buy.

a mere handful come with proper crossovers and any sort of quality and are any good. DLS 7x10s are pretty good, genesis 6x9 subs are decent (if done right) etc but 95% are sh!te designed to impress chavs.

> RMS figures are the ones to watch but all manufacturers quote peak figures for both their 6x9's or mids n tweets.

lol RMS are indeed the ones to watch but most chavs are actually insulted when you say their 5kw speakers are actually getting 15wrms off their sony HU :roll:

your opinion and nothing to do with chav when they're stealthed away surely?

chavs dont so stealth. they are in bright colours slap bang on the parcel shelf

not round here otherwise id have more of em, maybe i should pick some up to put in my dash...

maybe you should since they are obviously the bees knees in the comprimised world of car hifi

dont you put your subs in a box?

lol naturally - what do think the sub face does? it violently moves air in the boot cabin. where is the weakest point in the boot cabin most easily moved? hmm maybe the cones of the 6x9s? so if the sub is moving the cones of the 6x9s and the magnets of the 6x9s are also moving them - I smell conflict :)

chavs love them

hence the chav image.

that doesn't make them a bad thing? maybe chavs have realised they're a great compromise between quality and cost. they produce a decent enough sound for not much money.

agreed 100% - throw a set in to lift things sure but they are still crap compared to good compments and they are still chavalicious!

at the end of the day you can come out with as many general statements as you want but you cant argue that for the guy who wants some rear fill without the hassle of installing components that 6x9s stealthed into a shelf are the choice.

never said differently. I personally dont like rear speakers of any desciption so the idea of SPENDING more money on them is ludicrous to me. far better spent up front imo. components are no more hassle to install than 6x9s are - less in fact especially in the corrado where you have a place to mount the tweeters and new cable is well handy to pop through the doors.

if you want to argue about whether or not they can produce a decent enough sound then maybe you should listen to a few sets...

Matt

Ive heard quite enough to last me a lifetime.

well this was a fun debate - Ill stick with my tried and tested method of worrying about the sound at MY ears though rather than the chavs at tescos ;)

-pablo