Sign in to follow this  
fla

drivers door problem

I actually included this on one of my previous posts. The drivers door has dropped a little and you can feel the slack in it by lifting it from the bottom edge. I've tried loosening the door bolts, lifting the door and retightening but this hasnt done it. Nor has moving he door lock post downwards. Seems like it might be a worn door pin. If so whats the best way to sort it, and where can I get a pin from? Its quite bad in that when you close the door it bangs on the locking pin (doors are pretty heavy) and I usually end up closing it VERY gently to avoid the bang. Appreciate some help here guys.

no idea, sorry... never done much bodywork on a Corrado, only Beetles and MKI golfs... :| On those we used to drill out the old pin and stick in an oversize one... :?

I have had this problem and had to remove the door and replace the door hinge pins and the part of the hinge that bolts to the car.

I got the parts from the main dealer and they were not expensive but it was a total nightmare of a job :!:

Take it to a good Bodyshop for there opinion...

(they will probably tell you to take it to a car repair centre and stop wasting there time :lol: )

This might help.

If not, I usually put a washer behind the hinge - lower one, which raises the door up a bit. Have to play around with washer thicknesses until you get it right though.

Lack of grease on the hinges is the primary cause - something the dealers are supposed to do during the servicing.

Thanks a lot guys. Kevhaywire, I'll use the drawing (BTW where did you get this from and are there any more for various areas of the car?) and try the washer trick. If that doesnt work then I guess the bodyshop is the place to go. Strange as the mileage is low (49k) and it seems to have a FVWSH, but then again stealers probably dont do half the things they're supposed to.

SAW, how did you remove the pins?

Cheers

I used a BIG hammer and a small drift to knock the pins out!

It took a lot of beating to get them out and sometimes you need to get an angle grinder and chop up the bit of hinge you are replacing.

It is a nightmare and I have had to do it on a few cars :roll:

The washer thing works ok but it does move the door nearer to the wing and I wouldnt say its the best way to solve it.

Depends if you wanna do it right or bodge it :)

The picture came from ETKA, the VAG electronic parts catalogue, which has those kind of pictures for the whole car.

Just an update - i've put the washers behind the upper hinge and this has solved the problem totally. Hinges have been oiled and then greased (maybe a bit of overkill). Now I dont cringe every time I close my door - its got a solid thunk - just like the passenger side.

actually I did it the lazy way by loosening the bolt half way and slotting two n-shaped shims in between. Otherwise, it would have been a bit of a job with the tonnage of those bloody doors. Anyway cheers for the tip Kevhaywire.

BTW, any ideas on the hissing I've posted on another thread - temp got up to 114C in traffic yesterday so I want to get this sorted?