Sign in to follow this  
SteveM16v

Bad smell

Engine a bit gutless, very strong smell of fumes, slight ruff idle sound familiar??

Any ideas or garages that you could suggest that maybe able to diagnose/fix in the Stevenage area??

Many thanks

Running rich my man.....

Is it a 2.0 or an 1800? The 1800 is dead easy to restore the correct fuelling on. Not so sure about the 2.0 though as it's a partially managed engine.

Ther's a rubber breather hose on the front of the engine, just above the oil filter, which has a sharp bend in it . This perishes and leaks crank case fumes into the under bonnet space and in through the heater. Replacement is about £10.

(NB, this is based on experience with an ABF 16V engine, so it may not apply to yours...)

Best wishes

RB

Thanks kev, I think it must be running rich - its also hesitating when you put your foot down.

Its an 1800, how do I go about correcting the problem (laymans terms pls)

must admit that my C was doing this when I last drove it... no power, rough running, and strong smell of fumes in the cabin :( If you'd said yours was a 2.0L I'd have called the workshop to make sure mine was still there :wink:

My problems came down to a f'ked crank pulley and crank shaft but were only found after a full head re-build! I'm having a new bottom end put in too as it was only £300 more than getting a new crank!!! Hope your problmes don't turn out to be the same as mine mate as this has cost a small fortune to put right :?