Sign in to follow this  
TomB

Mk2 Golf Question.

Does anyone know what the biggest official engine in a Mk2 Golf was? Just out of curiosity really. A work mate has just returned from Germany with a Postcard that he found in a pub with an excellent picture of a Mk2 2 and the stats on it. My German isn't great, but it definately says 1984ccs under engine size. I thought they only went as high as a 1800cc.

Cheers,

Tom

Might just be a coincidence, but 1984 was the ifrst year the golf came in to production I think! Are you sure that its not stating that instead of engine capacity.

The Americans did get a 2.0 as it was the only way to get a reasonable performance after their emissions stuff was slapped on. The 1800 couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding when saddled with US emissions junk.

Also, some German MK2s got a 2.0. My accountant mate ordered one in from Germany in 1990. Brand new, 2.0 16V fitted at the factory, leather recaros, electric slide sunroof (from an Audi 80 I presume).....everything..... He had it tuned to 180 bhp and lowered by Oettinger as soon as it left Wolfsburg, then it was shipped over.

Cost him well over £20K..... 14 years ago :shock:

My accountant mate ordered one in from Germany in 1990. Brand new, 2.0 16V fitted at the factory, leather recaros, electric slide sunroof (from an Audi 80 I presume).....everything..... He had it tuned to 180 bhp and lowered by Oettinger as soon as it left Wolfsburg, then it was shipped over.

Cost him well over £20K..... 14 years ago :shock:

When I was a kid the guy across the road did that. His was oak green as well.

:roll:

i bet there worth some serious money now!

i sawe an oettinger prepared golf on the ' bay a month or so ago.

it was in a bit of a state, how can somebody let a classic car like that got to sh!t! :x

andihaz, it's definately under Engine Size (ah the wonders of babel fish), and it shows as a 1990 on the plate. Cheers, gents, I was rather curious...

Tom