Sign in to follow this  
Brady

Performance: Raddo vs Beamer

I've recently been driving a 2004 3series 2.5 xi....*drool*... I'll never be able to afford something like that, but if the corrado can perform anywhere, well then I'll be satisfied. I dont know a whole lot about cars, but I assume the corrado wouldnt be able to handle quite as well b/c its FWD vs 4wd. What about acceleration? the VR6 does have more displacement i believe... So; whats the deal? comparisons would be nice as Im pretty sure im going to buy a raddo VR6

thanks, brady

BMW 3 series is rear wheel drive, I'd have thought...?

But yeah, it'll be a tough one for the FWD Corrado to beat, in handling terms. Engine and performance I'm sure the VR6 would be a match though.

But if you already know you can't afford the bmw, why ask the question....? :)

BMW 3 series is rear wheel drive, I'd have thought...?

But yeah, it'll be a tough one for the FWD Corrado to beat, in handling terms. Engine and performance I'm sure the VR6 would be a match though.

But if you already know you can't afford the bmw, why ask the question....? :)

i think he's meaning an X3 :wink:

I can sit with my mates 330Ci. we sat on a long track side by side in 3rd gear and nailed it and it was pure neck and neck - no movement at all. he has longer legs in 4th tho at 100+ and was pulling away.

off the line was tough to call - they have these wierd clutch setups that lets them slip a bit under heavy load. its getting pulled right out tho ;)

all in all there is not a thing in it really bar at silly speeds so Im sure an X3/X5 would be no problem.

But yeah, it'll be a tough one for the FWD Corrado to beat, in handling terms.

Not really. A VR6 is well able to keep pace with a 330ci cross country.

Why do people assume RWD automatically means better handling? Not always the case.

kev cos going tail out isnt a sh!t attack like it is in the C ;)

seriously tho the 330 feels much more solid on the road that the C - very purposeful when cornering etc. the vr6 is all front which gets a bit hairy sometimes

I wasn't relating 'handling' to getting the tail-out. Any bafoon can purposefully invoke oversteer...... in any car.

I've driven a 330ci and agree, it is very solid and planted but look at the size of it's tyres compared to the Cs..... and it's heavier and has a longer wheelbase. I didn't rock my world at all. The steering was numb and vague as BMW helms usually are and it didn't turn-in as crisply as the C.

And if Brady here is actually talking about an X3 there's no contest! That thing will roll into a ditch before the C even thinks about letting go around a corner...

Everyone inside will be ok, but the kids might not make it to school in time :lol:

i can't see how he can be wanting to compare a junior SUV with a Sports Coupe but then again looking at where the X and the C are on a Keyboard maybe he is meaning the Ci............... :? :? :? :? :?

i can't see how he can be wanting to compare a junior SUV with a Sports Coupe but then again looking at where the X and the C are on a Keyboard maybe he is meaning the Ci............... :? :? :? :? :?

Yeah he probably is, still fun to rip the p1ss out of the X3 though :lol:

The 330Ci has a list price of around £30k, which places it right in the same market as the C VR6 (taking into account inflation since 1992). Which one's better built? The BMW no question.

Which one handles better - trickier, given that everyone's definition of "better" differs from everyone elses. The C VR6 was the "best handling front-drive car of it's time", but everyone agrees it's since been surpassed. There's also the caveat "front wheel drive". BMW appear to have a reputation for making the best handling rear wheel drive cars on the market, and the market seems to agree that in the real world, RWD is "better" than FWD for driver entertainment.

But if we are actually talking about the X3 then I'll just go back to laughing into my cup of coffee. :)

Ah, but if you're talking about exclusivity... the Bimmer is common as much, where as only the select few have Corrados 8)

C every time :D Had a little spat with a BMW 528 the other day- he floored it and tried to pull away- I stayed with him, then he had to move over as I shot past :lol: :twisted: He overtook me a bit later when I was cruising- looked like he wanted another go, but the race had already been won :wink: :roll:

Trashed a Merc E320 as well a while back.. I had 4 people in the car (nice and responsible I know) and he just couldn't get past me at all. Neck a neck till 120MPH where it was time to get sensible again.

Had some idiot in a Mondeo ST220 the other day - those are a bit quicker though - given a chance I might have been able to keep going at him but ran out of road but when we were both gunning it he was only VERY slowly gaining on me....

The 330Ci has a list price of around £30k, which places it right in the same market as the C VR6 (taking into account inflation since 1992). Which one's better built? The BMW no question.

Yes but since the C's demise, the BMW has had 10 years continuous development so it's obviously going to be better, structurally. It's in the same vain as saying the MK5 GTI is built better than the MK2 :roll:

now i'm getting really confused :? :? :? :? .....................1st i thought he was meaning an X3 then thought he'd miss-typed but now reading back again i noticed he mentioned FWD(C VR) v 4WD(BMW)..........so over to you brady......what exactly is it you've been driving????? :wink:

my 1995 318ti was better built than my C to be fair.

the C is much more fun tho :D

funnily enough so was mine...............but............within 5 mins of driving my storm tho ive never once regretted selling my 318ti for a low price to get into the C :wink:

isnt the Xi a 4wd coupe/saloon 3series?

on the old E-30 3-series there was a 4wd variant called the iX and also on the E-34 5-series too.........but i aint ever heard of it on the E-46 or even the E-36 :?

Various owners have stated that the only E46's spared this steering boost and loss in road feel are those equipped with the all wheel drive option (i.e. Xi's).

there you go.

Various owners have stated that the only E46's spared this steering boost and loss in road feel are those equipped with the all wheel drive option (i.e. Xi's).

there you go.

ah but that aint a UK model tho is it? :wink: