Sign in to follow this  
Louie Lungbubble

Santa's Sack

Help me out chaps....

Apparently, this year When the big fat, red pants wearing, mince pie eating dude breaks into my house via the chimney and empties his sack all over the bottom of my bed, there will be a new (no doubt slightly sticky) head unit for my motor.

Now I do not intend to win any car audio setup competitions with this thing, so don't you audiophiles out there start giving me a hard time about "sound staging" and stuff like that.

But for the modest budget of £150 what (MP3 compatible, Single CD) model number should I be writing on my Chrimbo list?

Not expecting anything too fancy for that price.

But want a good honest head unit without all the BLINGiness of having flashing disco lights and glitterballs that appear from the slot at the touch of a button.

Been onto Car Audio Direct and saw these

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/default ... ed090bda19

All of those are within budget.

Any Comments / suggestions

The elves (aka my bird) grow restless! :wink:

Cheers.

Second hand Pioneer DEH-P77MP? They're only about £210 new actually.... certainly fits the non-disco lights requirement but it also sounds very good too.

Look around on places like http://www.mcs-direct.com, caraudiodiscount (can't remember the URL), Hendon car radio etc and see what takes your fancy....

I got a Pioneer DEH-7600MP from cel-direct for £200 last week and it's very good. It's a bit Christmas tree like to start with, but you can turn the flashy crap off. It's got pretty much the same internals as the P77MP and I prefer it as it's not as silver and bling.

Hmm.

Had a gander at both of these. Must say i like the tidyness of the DEHP77MP

The DEH7600MP looks good too, if as you say Dinkus, you can turn the dolphins off! :lol:

Both still a bit over budget though...

Saw a slightly lower model number one in that list, which had the same mofset amps and stuff like the ones you two suggested.

Sound will oblviously be not quite as good as the pricier ones, but as a bit of a big generalisation, do you reckon best stick with Pioneer?

There doesn't seem to be much difference in the sound qualit between the Alpine and Pioneer ones, so I got the Pioner purely because I liked the look of them better. I'll take a pic of my 7600 in 'non bling' mode for you when I get home :)

No wombat option then eh ?

Boo! :(

:lol: :lol:

Unfortunately not :( You can have fighter jets though?! :roll:

And I did take a picture of mine in non-bling mode, but I didn't get home til gone midnight (not work related!! :D ) so I didn't get a chance to put the picure up. I'll do it tonight tho, promise ;)

I never got bored of the dolphins.. amazing how many people used to peer into your car from theirs whilst sitting in traffic, watching the little video :)

Pioneer do MP3 headunits without all the OEL display though if thats what you are after...

I never got bored of the dolphins.. amazing how many people used to peer into your car from theirs whilst sitting in traffic, watching the little video :)

Pioneer do MP3 headunits without all the OEL display though if thats what you are after...

Oh dear. The only display thing (apart from the boring track details one) that I thought was mildly watchable was the 2 VDU's 8)

In fairness I haven't ever watched more than about 3 seconds of the dolphins or fighter jets things though.

My P7400 had an Indycar and Dolphin display.. I dunno.. all 'posing' aside I just thought it was such a cool thing, and I got the P7400 not long after it had come out so it was still quite new then! Wouldn't mind the P7500 onwards now though seeing as you can upload custom OEL displays :)

The VDU was pants as it never seemed to go in time with the music.. and depending on the type of music it was normally just nearly maxxed out all the time anyway :roll:

My P7400 had an Indycar and Dolphin display.. I dunno.. all 'posing' aside I just thought it was such a cool thing, and I got the P7400 not long after it had come out so it was still quite new then! Wouldn't mind the P7500 onwards now though seeing as you can upload custom OEL displays :)

The VDU was pants as it never seemed to go in time with the music.. and depending on the type of music it was normally just nearly maxxed out all the time anyway :roll:

Yeah the VDU thing is an almost ok idea, but crap in practice.

The animation things are just a distraction anyway, so I turn them off. The auto-inverse colours thing was really doing my nut in at night time, but Kev showed me how to turn that off too, so I'm a happy chappy now 8)

Cheers Dinkus. That actually looks quite tidy with flipper turned off, dunnit?

Sounds like the pioneer owners are happy, so I think its the 7600

it is a little over budget, so I'll have to see if my better half is feeling flush!

:lol: Just remembered. As a kid I was able to blag my mum and dad for a bigger pressie with the suggestion of having my birthday and chrimbo in one. (one of the benefits of being born 3 days before xmas)

Think it's time to dust that old chestnut off and try it out on my missus! :)

Cheers Dinkus. That actually looks quite tidy with flipper turned off, dunnit?

Sounds like the pioneer owners are happy, so I think its the 7600

it is a little over budget, so I'll have to see if my better half is feeling flush!

:lol: Just remembered. As a kid I was able to blag my mum and dad for a bigger pressie with the suggestion of having my birthday and chrimbo in one. (one of the benefits of being born 3 days before xmas)

Think it's time to dust that old chestnut off and try it out on my missus! :)

:lol: nice work my good man :D