Sign in to follow this  
RobW

Brakes, chips and stuff

So I've just bought a G60.

I do a bit of sprinting and hill climbing and have just had a season with a Nissan 200sx, but I fancied a change...FWD and a supercharger!

It's got a Jabba stage 4 charger, stainless exhaust cat back, weitec top adjust coilovers, polybushed all round, grooved and vented brakes, goodrich hoses etc, still on very smart BBS alloys, oil cooler, maybe the odd other thing.

So far I am very impressed with it on the road. Questions:-

Do Corrados have a brake bias valve and is it the valve just in front of the axle at rear left...looks like one. Mine is overbraked at the back and locks at rear on very hard breaking.

I am use to coilovers but just checking that these weitecs should still be this firm on softest damping....nice on A roads, but obviously jumpy on B's. Take it that is usual.

Feels like it will be very useful on the track...will have it 4 wheeled and cornerweighted pre season.

Should I decat..will it give me a horse or two.

Should I go for a chip and pulley conversion...would seem rude not to as it already has an uprated charger. Jabba are very near to me so would they be the boys.

Should I go for an induction kit at the same time and what one is recommended.

Does anyone on the forum already sprint or compete in a Corrado, would love to talk to them if possible. In sprints I will get caned by the 4WD turbos in our class but I am thinking this will be one of the only FWD's in the 2 litre and over class (40% penalty for forced induction you see).

Will do a search but I am looking for a sound 200bhp to be competitive...will my charger, and chip/pulley/induction/exhaust be enough or any more dodges I should be looking at initially.

First VW and I've had over 30 cars :!:

Should I go for a chip and pulley conversion...would seem rude not to as it already has an uprated charger. Jabba are very near to me so would they be the boys.

thats if they want to do the plain old G60's now :roll: ...........as(by all accounts) they seem to have lost interest in the very product that helped make their name.............G-werks, JMR or Pit-stop are who you need to speak to these days

Decat and definately go for the chip and smaller pulley- makes a big difference :twisted: Wouldn't really bother with the induction kit- go for a panel filter and a JMR cold air feed instead.

What sort of 200SX were you driving? S13, S14, S14A? What mods did you have? Love the SX S14A. Would like a low mileage one but the pennies can't stretch at the mo' :(

Jabba are a complete bunch of wa**ers. Complete total and utter lying ba**ards !!

Their so-called expertise & customer dis-service is well documented elsewhere on this forum.

Jabba are a complete bunch of wa**ers. Complete total and utter lying ba**ards !!

now come on steve mate.......don't hold back :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Speaking from personal experience :mad:

Speaking from personal experience :mad:

and from what ive heard you aint been the only one :shock:

Do Corrados have a brake bias valve and is it the valve just in front of the axle at rear left...looks like one. Mine is overbraked at the back and locks at rear on very hard breaking.
Yes - that's the one, prone to seizing

Should I decat..will it give me a horse or two.
Yes - not needed for MOT either

Should I go for a chip and pulley conversion...would seem rude not to as it already has an uprated charger.
Yes - get a SNS chip, smaller pulley & red-top (hi flow) injectors from Darren http://www.g-werks.com

Should I go for an induction kit at the same time and what one is recommended.
Yes - Jetex cone filter & heatshield, buy seperately & do not pay the extortionate amount of money that Jabba charge. Also remove the carbon canister to allow free flow of cold air into the air filter.

Also consider getting a Golf G60 front mount intercooler - the Corrado one is useless

AndyVR6...it was an S13, pushing 270 brake on a T28 with big cooler and other mods. Fragile bottom end on these, and fragile elsewhere as well. Need coilovers to make them handle but over all I would rate 200sx as a very good car. S14a maybe a bit more cumbersome, has large overhangs and just feels haevy unless it is bushed and sprung and generally fimed up...large horsepower potential for relatively easy mods as well.

How much extra BHP could you expect from a de-cat ?

Only a real benefit on force inducted cars. They have much less requirement than normally aspirated cars for back-pressure fron the exhaust system. Less restriction from the exhaust = more power.

With a correctly set-up engine maybe gains of 5 bhp & more responsive throttle could be expected. With an engine that's not set-up correctly - you'll notice no gain whatsoever.

How much extra BHP could you expect from a de-cat ?

Only a real benefit on force inducted cars. They have much less requirement than normally aspirated cars for back-pressure fron the exhaust system. Less restriction from the exhaust = more power.

With a correctly set-up engine maybe gains of 5 bhp & more responsive throttle could be expected. With an engine that's not set-up correctly - you'll notice no gain whatsoever.

Agreed. A bypass on a VR will have little to no effect. In fact, Vince at Stealth found a whopping 2hp from a Milltek sport cat and system on a Golf VR6. Some £500 well spent I feel, not.

The reason these Subarus etc see 20hp from a cat-bypass is two-fold:-

1) Forced induction. These engines appreciate a freer flow than NA. NA engines are setup with exhaust back pressure in mind and many, many people are left dissapointed by their expensive "baffle-less" systems. The VW systems are way better than people give them credit for. I bought my Milltek purely from a "it's cheaper than OE" perspective and certainly wasn't expecting any extra power from it.

2) They have 3 cats as standard, yes *3* !! And if you look at their standard front pipes, they are partially blocked deliberately, restricting flow by at least 20%.

As Steve says, you'll get minimal gains from a G60 and none at all from a VR - as proven many times by the master himself, Vince.

K

AndyVR6...it was an S13, pushing 270 brake on a T28 with big cooler and other mods. Fragile bottom end on these, and fragile elsewhere as well. Need coilovers to make them handle but over all I would rate 200sx as a very good car. S14a maybe a bit more cumbersome, has large overhangs and just feels haevy unless it is bushed and sprung and generally fimed up...large horsepower potential for relatively easy mods as well.

Yeh, have heard the S13 was a bit fragile- nice rusty tailgates too! :? How does the C compare in performance?

The only S14 I've driven had uprated dampers and springs- felt really tight and very fast. The good thing is it doesn't cost much to tune them- bren device, colder plugs, panel filter and decat all for under £200 giving upwards of 260bhp- fantastic- all through the rear wheels too so you can actually use that power :twisted:

Any G60 nuts living near me in Kings Lynn, Norfolk ?????

Haha. I live in Marham! Know everything there is about a G40, as ive a race/track car but I also drive a corrado G60 as my daily drive. Which is about to have some ghetto engine mods! I know a fair bit about the G60 so can help you if you like.

A corrado G60 would be good at hill climbing and sprinting! I wont say anything about the polo's abilities though at it since this is a rado forum and wouldn't be right. :lol:

Paul

Andy VR6....260 on just those mods would be doubtfull...more like 220 tops and 230 running a bar plus. Wing mounted intercooler is the problem. Very restrictive charge cooling. Has to go.

Handling of this corrado on coilovers is far superior to my old S13 on uprated struts and springs and roll bars...I can tell that even on the road. S14's are known to be less nimble than S13's. It is generally accepted that you have to lock down that rear subframe and get em on coilovers to reallly get them to handle.

My S13 was a lot faster in a straightline though...plain bhp.

Once the corrado is making a strong and accessable 200bhp I think it will probably be quicker on technical circuits...I'm hoping so and will find out next year.

Incidently out of any modification to the 200sx that I did, the most dramatic was fitting uprated anti-roll bars front and back...an instant change in cornering attitude and behaviour.

RobW, you can raise the boost loads with the Bren device.... surely you could get 220 just by doing the 'Free Boost Upgrade', so with the Bren device, colder plugs, decat etc you'd be well over 250 at least :?: Never had a 200, but did a lot of reading up on http://www.sxoc.co.uk when I was going to buy one.

How was the S13 in the wet? Mate told me yesterday that she passed a S14 crashed into the central reservation facing the wrong way- it was pouring with rain :? She said the young driver was standing next to it looking very puzzled :lol:

Andy VR6....I made a point of never pushing it in the wet. The plain facts are this:-

An S13 or 14 feels long and thin...now I may be talking out my arse but thats the way they feel as you drive them.

Unless you have that sub frame locked down they have a mushy feel at the back...."great grip, great grip.....whoops no grip!". Lock it down a bit and the "give way" is more predictable.

You have the old turbo delivery that suddenly pushes a lump of torque at you...just right for surprise back end loosening.

You need good tyres....mine came with a nice set of Pirelli 6000's.....useless. I popped it on Toyo proxes....massive improvement.

Why do you think they are the dogs at drift competitions....virtually unbeatable, but also those guys can make it stick at that angle...not much chance on the road.

All in all...tail happy.

Fun though.