Sign in to follow this  
dav

error code G28

Got my C-VR hooked up to a "snap-on" diagnostic tool yesterday (does the same thing as VAG-COM) and the only error code it came up with was

a G28 - speed sensor :?

what is this?

where is this?

thankx dav.

Got my C-VR hooked up to a "snap-on" diagnostic tool yesterday (does the same thing as VAG-COM) and the only error code it came up with was

a G28 - speed sensor :?

what is this?

where is this?

thankx dav.

8) - was the car running when you got this code?

Yes i think that it was,

just found out i can get hold of the "engine speed sensor" for about £120 is this a good price. Also is it somthing i should change a.s.a.p :?

well if it wasnt you would get that code!!!

So clear the code - go for a drive then plug in VAGCOM or whatever you have and try again!...

Would check its a definate code fault before shelling out dosh *:)

Oh and I maybe wrong but if its a genuine speed sensor code then the engine wouldnt run *:)

Thanks Scott, quality tech support.

Will get it checked again.

Don’t want to shell out any more dosh just yet, just ordered all the parts I need for sorting the cam chain will probably do clutch at the same time & crank oil seal. :(

this thing drinks money faster than fule. :x

whatever you do DON'T BUY A NEW ENGINE SPEED SENSOR.....mine came up a couple of times last year when Ess Three did the VAG-COM check on my C......checked with the local stealer and they said you need a new one too....but also checked with jim curley(star-performance) and he told me that if the engine speed sensor was knack'd then the engine wouldn't turn over at all and wouldn't even run...........it shows up whenever you do a VAG-COM check with the engine off

From the VR6 'tech manual':-

*** Engine Speed / Reference Sensor (G28) ***

Engine speed and crankshaft position are registered by a single sensor located on the engine block. The sensor reads a toothed wheel mounted on the crankshaft to read engine speed. The toothed wheel has a two-tooth gap which is used as the measuring point for the crankshaft position.

* Signal application: *

The signal is used for registration of engine speed and, in conjunction with the signal from the Hall Sender, for recognition of ignition TDC in cylinder Number 1.

* Substitute function: *

There is no substitute functions for Speed Reference Sensor G28.

The ECU recognizes a missing signal from the Speed/Reference Sensor after cranking the engine for five seconds. An impulsing signal is recognized by self-diagnosis when the reference mark signal and Hall sender signal do not correspond.

So in other words, the engine would run without G28, but not very well as the Hall sender (G40) cross references it's signal with G28 for TDC timing and sequential injection. If G40 goes, the engine will retard the ignition and won't sequentially inject the fuel, so it won't run well, if at all.

Don't dismiss it as the brain having a wobbler, it could genuinely be intermittent or faulty. If G28 keeps showing up on VAG-COM, chances are it or it's associated wiring need attention.

Kev

94 Vr6

understand what your saying there(just) kev...but dav only thought (wasn't 100% sure)that the engine was running when the VAG-COM check was done.....this code always comes up when you check the dtc's with the engine off and can easily be diagnosed as a fault unless you know what your doing

as i said in my post mine came up a couple of times last year along with the good ol cam.pos sensor(at inters02 we cleared it and when we checked it again after inters it had appeared.......then we found out about the engine speed sensor always coming up when checked with the engine off but ignition on)

OK Rodders, that makes sense if the engine is off. I didn't know our dear old VRs were sequentially injected until reading the manual, cool!

Kev

Hello chaps

Just had a chat with a guy who preformed the test and yes the car was not running.

He also thinks that if it were faulty the car would not run, or would run but very badly

Thanks again for all the tech support chaps. :)

On another note, I have decided to change the tappets in my VR, are there any other things that I should consider changing along with them?

OK, G28 - speed sensor - "implausible signal" can be the result of a few things and after some investigation, if it comes up, it's a good idea to replace the sensor.

The sensor costs £22 from VW and is located on the front of the block just to the left of the bell housing. It's secured with a 5mm allen bolt. It's just a magnetic impulse sensor that registers gaps in the flywheel for timing purposes.

The sensors tend to lose resolution with age (heat eventually destroys magnetism) or there could be some metallic crud on the flywheel ring.

Cheers

Kev

Nice one mate, will add that to my things to change list.

My car is currently at a garage getting a new clutch, new upper chain, guides and tensioners.

Sure something else will come up too.

Getting all the above done for about £450.

good??

kevhaywire, Have you done the MFA check sum it tells you iff the SS is working as you drive its bananas to look at!!

G60Jet, I dont think you get that on the later C's, there extra MFA features are more limited.

My mistake, the engine speed sensor is actually £121 plus VAT, which is absolutely scandalous for a magnet and a bit of wire. The one the dealer got in for me (thinking it was G28) actually turned out to be the cam position sensor, which I don't need. Due to the cock up, they've knocked 20% off a G28 for me, which will arrive tomorrow.

I had a lengthy chat with Vince today about G28 and the general consensus is, if it keeps reappearing in the VAG-COM fault code list (engine running) then change it. There is a coil inside the sensor which can malfunction intermittently, hence VAG-COM not always registering it.

A faulty engine speed sensor also throws out the idle valve and cam position sensor.

We shall see what happens tomorrow!

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6

Well changing out the sensor has cured my problems. My advice to anyone with a VR6 that gets the G28 error is to replace the sensor.

The engine is much smoother and torquier and goes ballistic at 4000rpm, as a good VR should.

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6

Well changing out the sensor has cured my problems. My advice to anyone with a VR6 that gets the G28 error is to replace the sensor.

The engine is much smoother and torquier and goes ballistic at 4000rpm, as a good VR should.

Good to hear that mate. You were letting the Vdubs get to you down the last few

weeks...

Yeah I was getting a little cheesed off with the old beast but I've had VWs all my life, so expect a few faults from time to time!

It's frantically fast now and really smooth :lol:

I just hope it stays that way now!

I'm still disgusted by VW's pricing policy on Corrado parts though.

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6

Reading this and a few other threads, you must have changed a lot of bits recently Kev!

Which means empty wallet = thankyouverymuch Mr VW Parts-Stealer!

Hsa anyone got the lead that goes from tha laptop to the carrado socket?

Would it be possible to copy it and make a lead up?

Could i get the pin out for the serial etc from anyone?

I have VAGcom software, my C is OBD1.

Chris

Hsa anyone got the lead that goes from tha laptop to the carrado socket?

Would it be possible to copy it and make a lead up?

Could i get the pin out for the serial etc from anyone?

I have VAGcom software, my C is OBD1.

Chris

All factory standard Corrados are OBD1, only the socket differs - i.e. early ones use 2x2 connecter and later (post '94???) uses OBDII style connecter (but still talks OBD1)

Have a look here for lead schematics.

I've made a lead up myself, but it's not working (yet!) - doubt if I'll ever find the time to sort in my hectic life....... :x :x :? :o :(

Keep thinking I might just have to splash out the 200USD for pukka VAG-COM and have done with it :cry:

Reading this and a few other threads, you must have changed a lot of bits recently Kev!

Which means empty wallet = thankyouverymuch Mr VW Parts-Stealer!

Erm, not too bad to be honest, since getting it in Feb, it's had the following done:-

New clutch, top mounts, Engine speed sensor, cam position sensor, plugs, air filter, fuel filter, coil pack, HT leads, VT front mount, Turn2 gearbox mount and new pads and front discs.

The coil pack I got cheap anyway and that and the leads were just done as a process of elimination, so didn't really need doing. The other stuff is just regular servicing bits or done for my own satisfaction, like the brakes and engine mounts as they didn't strictly need doing either, I'm just fussy!

The only 'issues' I've still got are noisy tappets, non working sunroof and a messed up heater direction knob (still!) which are all common C stuff!

RE the VAG-COM, just order it from Ross tech mate and be done with it! I contemplated making one up but it's not that easy and if you damage the brain, you've got no comeback! I ordered mine on a wednesday afternoon and it was at my house on Friday morning courtesy of DHL.

Plus if you register (which you can only do upon purchasing the cable), you are entitled to software updates etc etc

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6