Sign in to follow this  
matt_corradovr6

tyres for vr6

If you have the speedlines, I think the standard size is 205/45/15 isn't it?

Toyo Proxes are OK - I find that they do not behave all that well in the wet. My favourites so far are Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD-3's though I think they don't actually make em in Corrado VR6 tyre size!

I got a set of 205/50/15 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD2s on standard VR6 speedlines and I am pretty happy with them, excellent dry grip and pretty good in the wet too.

I even saved £120 by jimsG60's post telling of a good tyre shop in Coventry.

Cheers

Ady

I just went down to my ATS dealer and asked for a qoute on the Goodyear Eagle F1's and they said they would be 78quid a corner +VAT, making the total about 360 pounds. :shock: Does that seem right to you guys? These were DS-2's

This is the dilema i had, stupid size the VR has so none of the new compounds are available yet :(

Here's my experiences from what i've tried....not all on a corrado, but imagine the compound is more important than the size....anyway F1s, great in GSD3 compound but don't rate them so highly in the old GSD2. T1-S's are good, but wear poorly and are noisey, new T1-Rs are much improved but not out in 205/50/R15 yet. Yoko A539s great in the dry crap in the wet, i like these tyres. BF Goodrich G Profiler, very under-rated tyre IMO, probably my favorite to date! Wear really well (managed a whole trackday with 2mm left, and only had to change one to drive home legally! no prizes for guessing which one :lol:) grip well, maybe not as well as the A539s in the dry, but they break away really predictably which makes them fun.

Anyway I've just bought a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE720s to try, interesting looking en-even tread pattern on them, they're sat in my greenhouse waiting to be fitted i'll let you know how they go :) Went for these after reading reviews on http://www.tyretest.com, they are supposed to be one of the best wet weather tyres out there, and after this summer I thought that was an improtant factor ;)

I just went down to my ATS dealer and asked for a qoute on the Goodyear Eagle F1's and they said they would be 78quid a corner +VAT, making the total about 360 pounds. :shock: Does that seem right to you guys? These were DS-2's

Yep! Sounds about right with fitting and balancing...not worth it IMO. better off spending less on something like the bridgestones I've jsut gone for, actually rated higher on tyretest.com than the GSD2 and they're £20 a wheel cheaper ;)

I've used RE720s for years and well happy with them. They're a proper sports orientated tyre. The GSD2 F1 isn't. The sidewalls are too squishy. The Bridgeys have a very rigid sidewall aswell as a generous rim protector.

Mine has a full set of Eagle F1s and I've been very pleased with them. Bags of grip, even in the wet. Very even behaviour on the limit, no grabbiness, just a nice smooth break away that's easily detectable and caught... :)

I can see what you mean with the GSD2s, Kev, but as these are the only *decent* tyres I've had on the Rado, I've not got anything to compare with.

There is noticeable "wiggle" (technical term) if you push the car sideways on the sidewalls of the Goodyears, I imagine there are other tyres that don't do that.

My previous car did the same thing though - it had a full set of Conti Eco Contacts on it - primarily cos that was what it had when I got it, and in 45,000 miles I only had to replace a single pair of them (I sold the car with 60% tread all round too!). They also, coincidentally were quiet and low rolling resistance. Wet grip was awful, but then, it was a Vauxhall... :)

Yeah it's that *wiggle* Matt on mid-bend bumps that killed my confidence.

The F1s also don't have a central track control band for good centre feel. The Bridgees do and the centre feel is very precise, well, as precise as the vague Corrado centre steering feel will allow.

I know I keep on about the RE720s but I am not kidding, they are the best tyre on 205x50x15 size. They have the same levels of wet grip as the F1s, if not better, and they pee all over the F1s in the dry, thanks to that stiff sidewall and dual-compound tread.

The GSD2s do have a central band of sorts, but it's not a completely solid line like the GSD3s and tyres like the Proxes and so on.

I will probably try some RE720s next time round (when I've hooligan-ed away the front pair of F1s..).

The only drawback is I really think the F1s look cool....... :)

And just to confirm, it is the GSD1s and 2s I'm talking here.... the GSD3s are totally different and miles better in all respects than their predecessors.

The GSD3s don't have a segregated band mate, they're still part of the 'Arrow' treads. The band I'm talking is completely seperate from the surrounding tread blocks :wink:

Yeah try some RE720s next and see what you think

I have to admit that I did find the Eagle F1's felt very vague at speeds over 80MPH - so most general motorway driving was a little weird. These Toyo's seem to have eliminated that, and have reduced road noise and ride harshness.. but the grip isn't even close to that of the GSD-3's!

Admittedly, the tyres on the front of mine were utter shite, but now I've got the RE720's on the steering has a huge amount more feel around dead center on it. Feels like someone put a new steering rack in 8)

Got 4 more of them in the back of the car at the moment, for the Speedlines 8)

Aww you mean you're not gonna use those lovely Ventus ones? :(

Nah, I cut those off with a stanley knife :mrgreen:

Not really.....They're acutally Hankooks, so not *too* shabby and have reasonable meat on them, so I'll stick them up on eBay for £180 each as they're "Special" Corrado tyres :lol:

I did cut the baldy one off though...... pretty hard work, LOL! But had to try it :lol: