Sign in to follow this  
bcstudent

bcstudent's garage

Very Nice bcstudent, havent seen this in Norwich before, looks well clean, must get myself some of them german style plates.

Look forward to seein this :D

Nice looking car mate. You've done well cramming all that kit into the boot!! Looks like one sorted sound system you've got 8) Also applaud the licence plates.......might have to steal your idea as i'm in need of getting a couple done up for me motor!!

Good work 8)

Nice car!

I love the ICE install - very well executed 8)

Have you thought about dynamatting the boot out? You won't believe the difference that makes.

Cheers chaps, however.....

I can't take the credit for the plates, I got the idea and the URL from someone else on here....dazzyvr6 I believe - although I went for the yellow rear plate because I don't like to tempt the old bill (and so far I've had no bother).

The ICE install is only partly my own work - the story is that it was originally built by my mate for the boot of his Rockford Fosgate equipped Mk.2 16v Golf. When he sold the car he gave me all the woodwork (I had a Mk.2 8v GTi at the time) and it just sat in the shed for a couple of years. During a chucking out session a couple of weeks ago I came to thinking that since the Corrado is based on the same floorplan that it may fit. I had the sub and a couple of amps sitting there so I had a go. The result was this: the false floor dropped straight in as did the sub box/power section. The sides required cutting down as the rear panel is not guite the same shape as the Mk.2. This presented quite a problem as I had to lose 65mm from each side (off the hinged sections) leaving me with not a lot of room to mount the amps. Hence, there is now a Hifonics amp driving the sub where there was previously a physically-too-large Alpine. Trying to find a decent mono amp no wider than 9 inches is a bit tricky.

I had intended to start an install from scratch but in the end it seemed a shame not to use the gear that I had. I'm glad I did now as the result is quite pleasing. Not sound-off standard by any means but it's not bad and IS made from stuff I had laying around! The only expense (apart from the Hifonics amp driving the sub) was £40 worth of cabling as I really couldn't be arsed to scrap around looking for bits and pieces. Everything you see in the car was installed by me (as my mate's are mostly dangerous around anything electrical) and the cabling is nothing short of art itself! I'm very picky about who I let touch the car, despite being a bit of a banger.

I thought about Dynamat but in the end it turned out to be an exercise in "what can we do for the least amount of cash?!" The install is fairly modular by design and can be completely removed in about 40 mins to allow access to the fuel gauge sender/lift pump if necessary so maybe one day of it's all pulled out I may Dynamat while I'm there.

Incidentally the only holes drilled in the car are the four points where the sides are screwed to the parcel shelf lip. The parcel shelf is shite too - it's only temporary (hence the black carpet on top) and is a cut down version of the shelf that came out of my last Mk.2 8v, but it makes a good template!

I appreciate your comments and will make sure my mate knows that his install was well received. :D

Genesis do some nice Mono-blocks which are less than 9" wide, but you're sorted there anyway....and Genesis ain't cheap!

I would defo recommend dynamatting (or better and cheaper equivalents) as it makes such a difference! I've got about 20 kilos of stuff Audioscape use in my car. Under the rear seats, entire boot floor (both double layered), rear arches, doors, rear quarters etc...... and also on top of the matting is 5mm neoprene sheeting. I spent 9 hours today at Audioscape doing it all and my back aches something chronic!

The net result of all that is a car that now has Mercedes levels of interior refinement (all clips, screws etc replaced at the same time) and volume level, say 15, is now equivalent to volume level 20 beforehand.

Anyway, you've done good with that install, well impressed 8)

Well coming from a man of your obviously high standards, that means a lot!

I looked at the Genesis Profile Sub amplifier, and the mini-block. Both fitted in the space (just) but they were £350 and £600 respectively.- way too much. In the end the Hifonics Merlin was under £200 and it's a very capable amplifier indeed. It was a bit of a gamble really because I couldn't find much info. on it.

:lol: I know a good install when I see one and yours is pukka 8)

Yeah the Gennys are very pricey unfortunately :( But such is the way with handmade kit. Each amp comes with a test certificate (as do other makes) and my 4 channel Series III, rated at 4 x 50W RMS actually delivers 4 x 102W RMS into 4 ohms, but Genesis are known for their very conservative output figures, hence the term "Genesis watts".

By comparison, my Alpine MR340's test cert came out at 4 x 40W into 4 ohms at 12V.......but is sold as 4 x 35 :?

But anyway, that's getting too far into the realms of silly priced stuff and I'm sure your kit provides ample volume and sound quality!

To be honest I have no idea who the wheels are made by. I bought them off a mate who was skint - I didn't really want them but he needed the cash at the time. After I put them on the car I was like "hmmmm, not bad!" They have something like "Racing Power" on the centre cap. The multi-fitment hole pattern isn't ideal either. However, they are no heavier than the standard Sebrings.

As for the rest of the car, crazymarcel has now seen it and can vouch for the fact that it's quite tatty in the metal and is flattered by the pics! At the end of the day it's a 14/15 year old work-horse......

You know what they say - "you can't polish a turd."

LOL....I'm amazed that nobody has mentioned the dubious stain on the passenger seat!

(it was the leaking passenger window, honest)

LOL....I'm amazed that nobody has mentioned the dubious stain on the passenger seat!

(it was the leaking passenger window, honest)

:lol: It's when you get the car and it's got a white stain in the middle of the seat that you have to worry... :roll:

And you can polish the turd, it is a Corrado after all. Nothing a few grand on a re-spray and re-trim won't solve :lol:

A few grand spent on a £900 car.....um, don't hold your breath!

:lol: yeah I was joking... sometimes it's just not worth it :(

I got the joke btw.....just in case you thought I was having a go.

I kinda like the all-round "used" appearance of the car......it suits me because it gets parked in a car-park at a university with loads of pikey students smacking doors into it and stuff. This way I don't have to care! The car is fairly solid, apart from a grotty driver's door, so I'm just waiting for it to blow up before I stick a 1.8T in it (although with 114k on the clock I might be waiting a while). It'll make a classic street sleeper 'cos it looks so shite!

ur corrado is lookin real nice there mate really like how ya have done the stereo setup there really quite stealth :D

Cheers mate, I appreciate your kind words. In fact I appreciate everyone's kind words. To be honest the car's done me proud for the last 12 months and I should probably be nicer to it. The problem is it's hard to view it as anything other than a 14 year old banger that's next to worthless because basically that's what it is!

However, I love it to bits and as bangers go it's got to be at the "classier" end of the scale!

I've just taken delivery of this. Ok, I know it's not: a) a Corrado, b) a Volkswagen or c) a car....but it does have 1046bhp/ton and I'm very pleased with it. There seem to be a few members with bikes out there who may appreciate it....anyway one picture does have a dirty Corrado in it.

Just for the sake of it, here's a 'seasonal' pic of the Corrado as it currently looks, i.e winter wheels on, covered in crap and battery on charge. Yummy!

The Land Rover in the background has seen considerably more use than the Corrado in the past couple of weeks.

* EDIT *

I've just noticed there's snow on the roof - hopefully it'll be the last of the year.