Sign in to follow this  
dubweiser

bleeding brakes

My problem is that after having my car serviced and inspected it was found that the bleed nipples on my brake calipers were corroded(and possibly seized) and the front drivers side nipple has been sheared off or totally corroded away.HELP!! I want to replace my brake pads and i want to bleed the system but dont want to shear the other nipples so does anyone know the best course of action and what can i do about the nipple that is missing.The bottom bit of the nipple is still in the caliper.Ive been told it is possible to drill them and retap them and replace the nipples with larger size ones but am not sure how difficult this job is or how pricey it is if i send the calipers away to be done.Its a 2litre 16v if that helps.Cheers....

you might be lucky and be able to use an eazi out,best soaking it with plus gas overnight before trying to undo any of the others

Yup, PlusGas should make your life a lot easier getting the other ones out. An eazi-out affair may help you with your missing nipple. If that doesn't work it'll probably just as much to get a new set of calipers off ebay than send them off to be drilled out. If you know somoene locally that can do it, then it shouldn't cost you more than a few quid to get them drilled out.

I had the same problem! But it is your brakes and they are ~10 years old. I played safe and replaced the calipers.

One of my mates showed me a way to bleed them without using the nipples - it is a bodge and I wouldn't use it! Some garages use the trick when the bleed nipples are broken!

If it was me I'd go and get a caliper from a scrappy. One off a Passat, as there are plenty, make sure it has vented discs on it. Undo the bleed nipple before taking the caliper off as you don't want to end up with another busted one.

Or use this as an opportunity to upgrade to 280s.......

If money isn't a problem, then maybe you can buy a new pair from GSF etc. As it is a common caliper, they are 'reasonably priced'.

I keep a pair of Passat calipers in my garage all the time, to save having to mess about when this kind of thing happens.

Gavin

If you are going to replace the calipers, Mk4 Golf rear ones are highly recommended. You get a fully working handbrake as well then 8)

You will need some new flexi-hoses to fit them tho.

If you are going to replace the calipers, Mk4 Golf rear ones are highly recommended. You get a fully working handbrake as well then 8)

He has a problem with a front caliper dude.

:)

Gavin

He has a problem with a front caliper dude.

:)

Gavin

Yeah but he's got stiff nipples all round ;)

You can bleed the calipers from the brake pipe unions if you HAVE to, rather than using the bleed nipple on the caliper. Not ideal but sometimes it's the only option.

Doesn't get the old fluid and air bubbles out of the caliper though...

The trick is to remove the caliper without undoing the flexypipe, then pump up the piston in the cylinder quite a bit, crack open the flexy to caliper connection and bleed it by loosening/tightening the flexy... When you think it's pretty much done, loosen the pipe again, and squeeze the piston all the way back in... this'll remove just about all the fluid in the caliper and get rid of most of the air and old fluid... 8)

It's not ideal, and it's certainly not a good idea to use this method for anything other than bailing yourself out of the sh!t when you accidentally snap a nipple off and have to use the car to go and get a new one! ;) :oops: :lol:

Ive done the above on a fiesta,

but I used a forced air feed from a spare tyre that came a as a kit to push the fluid down through the cap in the master cylinder.

Do mark 3 or 4 rear callipers fix the handbrake sticking ?

Mk3 is slightly better, but still pants, Mk4 have a re-designed mech and they're made of alloy so they work properly and keep working too 8)

Mk3 is slightly better, but still pants, Mk4 have a re-designed mech and they're made of alloy so they work properly and keep working too 8)

so far :)

cheers guys.I already thought about replacement calipers from a scrappy but was unsure which ones would fit as a direct replacement.So a passat or a golf mk4??Any particular model or will any fit???Oh yes and plusgas?Where can i get it?Ive asked at a few places where i live and no one seems to know what it is.Mind u i do live in the north east ha ha.Perhaps its a southern thing(no offence intended)

I looked all over the place for plus gas and eventually found some at my local motor store (the place i never go in!)...

I think someone put up a link to somewhere on the web that sold it...

Is it just me or has the word "nipple" ever been used so much on any other forum thread in the world :lol:

6 times in the first post alone!

But seriously just get mk4 calipers all round I think the post is still up in the recent section of what you need