Sign in to follow this  
samm_cvr6

1.8 20V TURBO ENGINE CONVERSION

I am looking into an engine conversion for my VR6 since it needs a rebuild anyway and has covered 134k miles.

I have searched the net and found one person who has done this (tho I know others have too) and he has suggested that the 150bhp lump is the best one to go for because it is easy to tune, is this right?

I don't know much about this engine but from what I have read the 225bhp version is certainly more receptive to ecu re-maps.

I have been offered the 225 version with only 3k miles for £1,950+vat. I have also seen the 180bhp version advertised with 17k miles, ecu,keys, steering column and clocks for £975, will it work out cheaper to buy the 150bhp which is likely to be much cheaper and then tune it??

It will be a shame to lose the awesome sound of the VR6 but I thought that this will be made up in improved drivability due to the 1.8 20v being a lighter block??

I have heard of companies like TSR and stealth but they are about 200 miles away from me, will a good local VW mechanic be up to this job?? :D

One of the mechanics at Dubsport has a VR6 converted G60. He has now sold the VR6 engine and is currently fitting the S3 1.8T 20v.

surely it has to be a lot more cost effective to re build your vr6 motor

im a big fan of 1.8t motors but there is a bit more expense than just the initial motor and if you then have to pay someone to install it all your going to have a £3-4k or even higher bill for a motor with not a lot more bhp than what you already got

then adding the cost of higher insurance premium better to stick with the vr6 imo

Yea, I will see how confident my mechanic is, as far as I'm aware, it is just the ecu and bosch injection system I will be shelling out for in addition to the engine, to get the VR6 to 225bhp will cost a lot where as it is much easier with the turbo lump, so may be cost effective, and surely the value of the car will go up by sourcing a new lump far more than if I keep the old VR6 lump. I think if the rebuild costs more than£1,500 I will just go ahead and get the 1.820v turbo and if less then go ahead with rebuild.

Anyone rebuilt there VR6 recently? how much?

8)

From what I've read in other posts - buying a new VR6 engine complete from VW costs about £1800 +VAT. So rebuilding one isn't really cost effective. Someone did ask if the new VR6 engine from VW was a 2.8 or 2.9 - not sure on that one!

if i were you mate i stick with the vr cos i know i would replace a vr for a 20vt as much as i like mine but you are right about it been cheaper to tune and to be honest thats about the only anvantage,cos it shure as hell doesnt have as much class or character as a vr

I only wish I coould afford the R32 engine but I unfortunatley it is pipe dreams for me!

been offered a v64motion thru the net for £400+vat but will have to make sure it is a good one as seems a bit cheap!? :lol:

400 quid for a 2.8 24v??!?!? :shock:

bloody hell I'll have 2 as spares!

to me though, I have to agree with mike, if the vr bites the dust, get a nice low mileage 24v, its the natural progression to the vr, more technology in it, more power, hopefuly better fuel economy, but retaining the VR character.

Not many 24v corrados about too which is nice 8)

Yea spoke to a few mechanics as unfortunatley there is no way I could take this on, even if I knew how I just don't have enough time, most of them will be very reluctant to fit a second hand/used engine due to nightmare stories.One mechanic in particular made a point of saying in his words how the 20v turbo is "a pile of sh*t!". I think he was referring to all the troubles and complaints he had from customers re bent valves and timing belts snapping all the time. This took me as a suprise as I had always thought it was quite a robust engine!? 8)

samm crv6 wrote

One mechanic in particular made a point of saying in his words how the 20v turbo is "a pile of sh*t!". I think he was referring to all the troubles and complaints he had from customers re bent valves and timing belts snapping all the time. This took me as a suprise as I had always thought it was quite a robust engine!?

and that has to be the BIGEST pile of sh*te ive heard about a 20vt

No one remembers the 100s of thousands out there that are racking up millions of miles between them. They only remember the handful that die due to neglect.

Gavin

Agreed on the 24V route......it's a much better engine than the 12V. Better management, better flow, more power available.

The 150 bhp 1.8T engine isn't much cop, can only realistically go up to 180-200 with the standard KKK03. This is why everybody goes for the KKK04 equipped 225 engine, more scope for improvement.

The Golf boys are still absorbing all the 1.8T lumps, so prices are still quite high for those due to demand but the 24V can fetch some very reasonable prices as it's not as appealing in terms of tuning.....but it can be made to kick butt with right kit and is a very smooth and grunty engine in standard tune anyway.

There is definitley more demand for the 20v turbo right now as opposed to the 46 4motion lump. Ben I would of thought you would be leaving R32's with the kind of set up you have! :)