Sign in to follow this  
monVR6

Latest handling problems - (VR6)

Sorry to bore you all with continuing handling problems!

Noticed on the way home that the steering felt alightly heavier whilst turning left and in general on the motorway the car weaves slightly like it's windy - even if it isn't. Anyway, near home, I was manouvering in a car park and when winding the steering back off full right lock, there was a knock from the front of the car. I reversed back on full left lock and there was another knock. Strangely, the steering now feels heavier on right lock!!??!!

This all sounds a bit racky to me!! Bushes have been done, new Weitec suspension, top mounts, trackrod ends, new front tyres, new ball joints, alignment several times - still the car feels unstable and nasty to drive. Please help!!!!

Yep definitely sounds like the rack.....especially as everything else has been done. Have you looked underneath for any fluid leaks?

Vince had a customer in 6 months or so ago with the same symptoms and it was the rack!

Yep definitely sounds like the rack.....especially as everything else has been done. Have you looked underneath for any fluid leaks?

Vince had a customer in 6 months or so ago with the same symptoms and it was the rack!

I dunno Kev, always on about the rack, there are more things to a woman you know.. :lol:

Racks, women, fluid leaks !!!!

I'll check for leaks - and then start saving. How much is a new rack then - is a recon worthwhile? And how long might the current rack have before it has to be done - or does it just get slowly worse - (MOT coming up) !!

The rack on my VR6 has been in less than perfect condition for the last three and a half years/50k miles.

Might not need to rush unless you really hate the way it feels.

i rely shudunt be lgingnon after cuming back frum the pub..... :oops:

New rack: £398 + VAT from the dealer. You can't get them anywhere else.

Recon rack: £around 290 + VAT from the dealer, or £229 + VAT from GSF. I can't vouch for the quality till I drive mine on monday!!

I can't vouch for the quality till I drive mine on monday!!

Be really interested to hear how it all goes - don't really enjoy driving mine at the moment - and it's frustrating coz I can feel how good it can be underneath the dodgy steering. Perhaps I should cancel my forthcoming wedding - could do the rack and get a shrick! Hmmmm

Good luck with your rack anyway!

i rely shudunt be lgingnon after cuming back frum the pub.....

Where would that be then Mike, there aren't any decent pubs in Ledbury :hic: :silly:

Before you go changing the rack, be aware that new components can be faulty, or indeed may have become insecure. Best to check the systems thoroughly before going to this expense. You say you have had the alignement done many times, this suggests that a component or components are altering the geometry at random. Again i reiterate get the systems as fitted checked first before further expense. When checking the systems be sure to check the front subframe security and integrity, corrosion and stress, over the age to be considered, is now a relavant factor.

Before you go changing the rack, be aware that new components can be faulty

Thanks John - I certainly will think carefully before weighing into a rack. The alignment's been done a number of times because of the bits that have been changed - (over a period of time) - I think it's worth getting it checked again though before going down the rack route!

At my last service, I asked them to check over the suspension steering handling in general - so fairly confident it's all as it should be?? I'll redo alignment and go from there - updates to follow.

Further to John's suggestion, just had the alignment reset which had somehow knocked itself out!! The car feels much better but still not sure it's completely right. I may change the power steering fluid - I understand that may help!!

Anyway - now drives nice and straight, but putting any power down pulls it to the kerb!! The saga continues - but at least it's much nicer to drive now !!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

My rack was £150 from ebay, brand new VAG. Keep monitoring eBay as there is a guy on there that regularly sells VAG surplus & obsolete stock at cheap prices.

My car was totally transformed with a new rack. Self centering coming out of a corner is amazing, no tugging and even weighting. I went through all the usual things first and Stealth discovered that BJs aren't necessarily OK when there's no slack in them on the ramp. It seems at 30 degrees steering angle, slack is present and is overlooked as mechanics always check them with the wheels straight ahead.

Stick with it. Mine drives as it should at long last and I'm glad I went through the hassle of solving it.

I'm sticking with it Kev - and saving at the same time !! Do you think changing the power steering fluid may help?? Could dogy engine mounts make it pull left under power??

Cheers

A refresh of the old green slime cannot hurt. Is the pump OK? not noisy or leaking? Mine is mega noisy, got another one to put on but it's getting round to it!

Pulling to the left under acceleration - hmmm...what camber did your man set the front to? -1.2 negative?

Mounts won't really affect the torque steer really but VT ones will certainly bring about some other and welcome benefits.

Do you think you might have a binding caliper on the nearside front? and possibly rear?

Was your car aligned on a 4 wheel laser jig?

Hmmm - think it was laser - there were things - (technical term) - fitted to each wheel and the measures were shown on a computer.

Before - left front camber 0.23

After 1.31

Before right 1.42

After 1.26

Haven't checked calipers - can have a look at that. Earlier I mentioned the knock I hear when coming off of full lock - any ideas whether that is part of it??

Yep that was a 4 wheel job then.....

I'd have liked the cambers to be set to -1 or -1.2 precisely personally but your readings are well within tolerance.....and they change when you go over bumps anyway. What readings did you get for the castor and toe (tracking) ?

Knocking coming off full lock - could be any number of things. Worn rack, slack or siezed top mount bearings, slop in the BJs, loose subframe bolts, worn bushes...... really hard to say for sure mate and given all those things are recent, I just don't know..... I think the best thing is an afternoon spent at Stealth. They will find the problem for sure.