Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

Tyre Depth?

Does anybody know what depth of tread new Toyo Proxes T1's come with. I am doing a trackday next month and know how much tread I have left so I am just wondering if they will last the day if it dry. 4.5mm & 4.8mm. Track will be open for 3 1/2hrs.

I know how many miles I have done on them plus another trackday so it will give me a rough idea.

Its a bit of a wide subject but that does help. The last trackday I did the rubber was rolling quite badly on these tyres so obviously it looked worse than it was. Suppose I could just swap the fronts and backs around when they get low.

Its a bit of a wide subject but that does help. The last trackday I did the rubber was rolling quite badly on these tyres so obviously it looked worse than it was. Suppose I could just swap the fronts and backs around when they get low.

If the tyres are rolling and you're getting wear on the sides, over-inflate them. On new tyres there is a little triange on the side of tyre, right by the edge of the tread. For every mm that you wear past the tip of the triangle, you should have 1psi more air in.

All very useful if you haven't already scrubbed the triangles clean off like I did :roll: :lol:

So you recken my pressure were too low the last time? The edges have had some wear as well and I am pretty sure the trianlge has gone. Roughly what pressure should they be for a 16v for a trackday. I am sure I was running about 30-32psi.

So you recken my pressure were too low the last time? The edges have had some wear as well and I am pretty sure the trianlge has gone. Roughly what pressure should they be for a 16v for a trackday. I am sure I was running about 30-32psi.

I've got no idea for a valver I'm afraid. On my VR my fronts were wearing about 6mm and the rears only 3mm ish, I put them all up by 6psi to keep the balance between front and rear the same.

It's going to be entirely dependent on how hard you're driving it, how soft your tyres are and how long you're out on the track for (i.e. how hot/soft the tyres get).

Edit: I managed to find a picture of what you're looking for on google. It's not huge, but you get the idea.

I never knew that's what the little triangle was for! You learn something everyday :-P

Neither did I til the other day :)