Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged Junkie

Not Happy, G-Man HELP!

I am so pissed off right now :mad:

Just spend 3hours fitting an Mocal oil cooler i got from Darren and after fitting the cooler, finding a place to run the hose from the cooler to the oil filter fitting and so on....

Fitted the sandwich plate to the bottom of the filter hosuing and went to fit a new oil filter and the fecking thing won`t fit anymore :p :evil:

NOT HAPPY!

What the feck is going on here, now do you get these kits to fit?

Given up at the mo, cable tied the sandwich to something and fitted the oil filter as usual

but why doesnt it fit, there is no room for filter to fit onto the plate without cutting the lower cross member!

HELP!

never fitted one myself, does the G60 have a stock oil cooler - assume you're removed that from what you say.

remember someone saying something about having to shorten the threaded tube to get em to fit - try doing a seach defo been raised at some point.

I am so pissed off right now :mad:

Just spend 3hours fitting an Mocal oil cooler i got from Darren and after fitting the cooler, finding a place to run the hose from the cooler to the oil filter fitting and so on....

Fitted the sandwich plate to the bottom of the filter hosuing and went to fit a new oil filter and the fecking thing won`t fit anymore :p :evil:

NOT HAPPY!

What the feck is going on here, now do you get these kits to fit?

Given up at the mo, cable tied the sandwich to something and fitted the oil filter as usual

but why doesnt it fit, there is no room for filter to fit onto the plate without cutting the lower cross member!

HELP!

give me a call mate .. ill tell you how to fit it.

there are two ways to fit these either by removing the water cooler/heater all together and then you can carry on using a std oil filter or if keeping the water cooler/heater use a normal vag oil filter without the nut on the bottom this will then clear the crossmember. or... do as supercharged of this forum does and cut the nut off the bottom of the std g60 oil filters . :lol: ian you should of maybe given me a call prior to fitting this as it would of saved you alot of swearing and futher questions you want me to answer it would be alot easier to give me a shout on my phone. cheers D 8)

Calmed down abit now, Sorry didnt mean to go off on one....Just really annoying to get that far and then have a silly thing like that stop me :(

Anyhow, Does cutting the bolt off the bottom filter work?

Using Mann filters from GSF are these alright?

Might try again friday, I`ll give ya a call before i start thou just incase :roll:

Also picked up some 3in1 professional lube spray to lube the charger internals, is this ok to use ? Its a ptfe spray, but i better check before i do it dont want more hassle :wink:

Cheers

Ian

Using Mann filters from GSF are these alright?
Yes - they're identical to the OE ones - Mann used to make them for VW !

Do not use any VW or Mann filters that do not have a nut on the bottom - these filters do not have the internal valve inside :!: The correct oil filter is unique to the G60 engine & fits no other engines.

Better to buy the correct G60 oil filter with a nut on the bottom & cut it off if you need to. Personally - I would remove the standard G60 oil cooler sandwich plate & replace it with the Mocal one, this will enable you to use the standard G60 oil filter without cutting the nut off the bottom.

Also picked up some 3in1 professional lube spray to lube the charger internals, is this ok to use ? Its a ptfe spray, but i better check before i do it dont want more hassle

i can provide you with a can of the product we use to lube the chargers ... i too also recomend you completly do away with the water exchanger like stated above give me a call before you have another go and i can talk you through it ian no problems... :lol:

Regarding the Mann filters, if you compare the quality of the construction with the OE VW filter, the Mann filter appears of a much higher quality

does anyone know the deal for SURE with these vag filters.....ive always ran a std gti filter on mine and assumed the differance was just the nut

i mean the non nut vag filter fit loads of engines ....im sure it has the valve in it

for what its worth :p jabbasport :lol: told me years ago that thats the only differance and they use these filters....

steveo29, I'll check on Monday, when I get back to work. As far as I know - the filters are different internally.

Why noy just use the correct filter, instead of something which may look similar ??

& for what it's worth - I wouldn't take advice from Jabbasport on how to butter a slice of toast :wink:

Yep, I just hacksaw the nut off my oil filters but should have the RSR outlet soon so next time I'll be fitting that and getting rid of the OE cooler all together....

Just hacksaw the nut part itself if you need to, only takes a few mins, don't saw where the spot welds are as you'll end up with a lot of holes!!

Re the filters... I thought all VW (or MANN) filers had the non return valve, I thought the difference with the G60 one was a smaller mesh to protect the charger from debris as it has an oil feed! VW specifically produce a filter specially for the G60 so I'd use it! its only a couple of quid more than a standard one :wink:

Just been reading through this thread ref your thoughts on fitting oil coolers. I have fitted Mocal kits to Corrados for some time now and have allways taken the stance that the objective is to improve the cooling of the oil. So why is it that some of you want to leave the original water fed item in place, when this offers minimal cooling and indeed acts moreover as a heater? Furthermore if the OE cooler is to be left in place just to accomodate the hoses surely this makes the fit a right mess. Personally i find that the nut welded to the base of the G60 filter is most useful when removing these units, given the tight access, so why would anyone want to cut it off? If you are fitting a cooler kit surely this is recognition that the oil cooling on the G60 is poor at best and thefore complete replacement of the OE system is the only option. After all the OE cooler is easy to remove, and one has then the choice of either using pre water fed cooler hoses or making a pipe to link the hoses that would have fed the OE cooler. Done this way the install takes on OE appearance and quality, offering a good operational fit, whilst being able to accomodate the correct G60 filter unadulterated.

I agree with John, why leave the std oil 'heater' on when the object of the exercise is to improve the cooling?

I do have to also comment that the removal of the std oil cooler, reduced the load on the water system to such an extent that my Golf rarely came out of the white during the winter. I am pretty sure the radiator on a G60 Corrado is smaller than that of a Golf.

Even with the oil cooler fitted the oil temp could get as high as 130 on a track day but as soon as you back off to warm down, the temps started to drop rapidly.

Gavin

must admit didn`t really think too much about removing the OE water exchanger before i started this little project but now i am going too, just so i can fit the correct filter without getting a chainsaw out :evil:

Just wondering what you do with the hose going into the water exchanger ?

But anyhow, forgot to mention to Darren about the other hassle i had with the kit, Which is i couldn`t get the hose pipes you sent fully onto the connectors going into both the cooler and the sandwich plate :( No matter now hard i tried the hose would only go over the second barb and come to a complete halt, so i put some clips i had laying around on, do you think these will be alright like this? even tried removing the hose and start again but they want move at all :roll: WHAT FUN! :D :roll:

Anyhow, Am tired, think am too old to work nights now :wink: I`ll give ya call 2moro Darren

Cheers

Ian

I'll just add in another "dump the original heat exchanger" vote... makes life one hell of a lot easier! :)

A squirt of silicon or something helps when assembling these pipes. Holding the fiiting carefully in a vice helps. MAybe you can cut the pipe off and try again if you have a bit of spare length on them.

You can use 2 replacement hoses from a carbie 8Valve to bypass the std oil cooler.

Gavin

Just wondering what you do with the hose going into the water exchanger ?

You can either connect them together using 2 90 degree copper joints (bit of plumbing needed) and 2 hose clips or you can get the pipes of a mk1 which don't have the extra bit on them - darren keeps these in stock i think....

does anyone know the deal for SURE with these vag filters

The deal for SURE is that the internals of the G60 filter are different to those inside other VAG filters. I did some checking this afternoon. :wink:

Why risk shagging your engine/supercharger for the sake of an extra couple of quid every oil change :?:

stevemac.....what did you find differant??? just intrested :roll:

The G60 oil filter has an internal valve - very close to the internal screw threads, where the filter screws on to the filter housing. Some of the other filters also have what apears to be a valve but this is much further down inside the filter.

IMO - after all the money that we all throw at these cars, trying to save a couple of quid on an (incorrect) oil filter is ridiculous.

Sounds like I should remove my original heat exchanger :cry:

It looks like I'm not running a G60 oil filter :shock:

I would place a good bet on the valve inside the oil filters is a non-return valve (NRV) to prevent oil flowing back into the sump when the engine is switched off. As these are just spring based valves and the type of spring used would be decided by the manufacturer then the pressure at which the valve operates can easily be varied.

So as the oil from the engine is used to lube the charger I would guess that the VAG engineers decided that they needed an uprated NRV to try to keep the charger primed with oil before startup.

In other words if you don't use the genuine VAG oil filter you could well be reducing the life of your charger!!! :shock:

I would place a good bet on the valve inside the oil filters is a non-return valve (NRV) to prevent oil flowing back into the sump when the engine is switched off. As these are just spring based valves and the type of spring used would be decided by the manufacturer then the pressure at which the valve operates can easily be varied.

So as the oil from the engine is used to lube the charger I would guess that the VAG engineers decided that they needed an uprated NRV to try to keep the charger primed with oil before startup.

In other words if you don't use the genuine VAG oil filter you could well be reducing the life of your charger!!! :shock:

Sounds like a good explaination to me 8)

When VAG moved to hydraulic tappets they spec'ed a NRV for all the oil filters.

It's the position of the valve that is different in the G60 oil filter :wink: