Sign in to follow this  
hutchyvw

Speakers missing???

I,ve just prised off the 'speaker covers' in the corner of my dash as i was going to wire up the speakers which i thought would be in there (i just presumed there was no sound because they were disconnected) . However the holes are completely empty??? :(

They are speaker covers aren't they? :oops:

its a 1990 1.8 16v, with no sunroof, manual windows and elec mirrors, i believe its quite an early one. It should still have come with speakers there tho surely?? :?:

cheers hutchy.

I also cannot find any wiring in the holes, or any evidence that speakers have ever been screwed in there???

it has speakers in the door pods that work tho?

its all very dissapointing, i was hoping to replace all the speaker wires with new, and get all five speakers in the front working as well as my 6x9's at the back.

hutchy.

its got speakers in the doors.

so its 10cm speakers for the dash corners, what about the little centre one??

cheers mate i'll prob get some aftermarket ones.

hutchy

the little center grill is just a blanking cover... there's no speaker (or even space for one) under it...

The standard tweeters were mounted on a 10cm(ish) plastic disk with the tweeter just a tiny bit in the middle.

If you're going to be upgrading the speaker wire anyway, then I'd put a proper set of 5.25" components in. You then get properly matched drivers in the doors (straight swap) and tweeters in the dash. You will also get a proper crossover with them which will need to go somewhere.

Be warned that if you're going to make up your own disks to put the tweeters on, that they're not the same on both sides! :)

Also, the Corrado was apparently quite popular with drug dealers, so the tweeter holes could have been very convenient for stashing stuff...

I also cannot find any wiring in the holes, or any evidence that speakers have ever been screwed in there???

the dash speakers are just clipped in to the holes so there wouldnt be any screw holes

make sure if you get a set of 10cm/4" drivers that they are shallow enough to fit under the grills as the 10cm infinity coaxials i had where too high, i ended up using jl audio coponents, tweeters in the dash and the main 6" drivers in the door pods

tweeters in the dash and the main 6" drivers in the door pods

woah what size are the door speakers?

5.25" or 6"?

i am just about to buy some . . .

they are normally 5.25"

but the jl 6" drivers i have got have a very thin surround which with a bit of fiddling fitted in the original pods perfectly 8)

you have just reminded me i still need to cover the inside of the pods in dynamat :roll:

hutchy, I reckon yours must be about the same age as mine, the manual windows werent about for long as far as i know, and mine has them too! although i dont have door speakers and IIRC it wasnt a standard thing for a while (might have been an optional extra) perhaps a previous owner re-routed the wires from the dash to the doors to get some bigger speakers in?

cheers for you help fellas, i've just been out and bought some 10cms for the dash and 13cm's for the doors, i'll wack em in tonight :)

hutchy.