Sign in to follow this  
daveh

Steering problem - Possible MOT failure?? - Please help!!

Howdy all,

New to the site, but not new to Corrado's. I've had my 2.0 16v for nearly six years and I still love it. Unfortunately, I'm experiencing a problem or two as the miles increase - hopefully someone can help.

My steering wheel can move up and down (not much, but very noticable) even though it is locked by the adjuster.

In other words, when I use my normal wheel height setting, there is play in the mechanism up and down. But when I use a different wheel height, it locks rock solid.

VW noticed this at the last MOT and said that is was a known fault, aparently made worse by the fact that I am responsible for over 80% of my cars mileage (they said I had 'worn out' my setting on the wheel adjustment).

Please help!!! Replacing the steering column is VERY expensive. Does anybody know of a fix??

Many thanks, Dave.

P.S. Wish I'd found this site earlier! Great info and very freindly - Hope I can contribute in due course.

Forgot to mention. VW also added (helpfully) that if it gets any worse, they will fail the MOT. Nice.

Dave.

Doesn't move about of its own accord, but I can move the wheel up and down a little as I drive. Usually gravity ensures that it is at the 'bottom' of its range, but I guess bumps can cause the wheel to move as well (but they would have to be quite big).

Out of the four height positions, the three I don't use hold the wheel very tight. Unfortunately the one I want to use has some slack in it, meaning I can move the wheel a little even though the height adjuster is 'locked'.

Apologies, difficult to explain. Please let me know if I need to have another go.

I think I know what you mean as I heard Vince at Stealth mention a similar thing to a customer, and it is an MOT failure as you say as the column is deemed unsafe and could drop when driving :oops:

Don't quote me but I'm sure I've read on here somewhere that it's do with the locking mechanism and a lock washer fails or falls out or something. Have you tried the search?

My issue is slightly different - it clonks and wobbles over certain bumps and I'm pretty sure it's just worn top and bottom column bearings, which you can replace in a fixed column, but I hear you can't on an adjustable one :x

Same here regarding the positioning. If the car is unladed and low on fuel, the top 3 positions feel loose and slack but the lowest setting restores the correct feel and weighting. Very bizzare. There's no movement as such though.

I've not bothered to investigate it as it's not really bad enough to justify £500 on a new column imo.

Welcome to the forum btw :)

Thanks for the info.

I've got 6 months until the MOT is up again, but as the problem seems to be getting worse I was hoping to fix it before then.

The really annoying thing is the the column is perfect on the other height settings (mainly because they have never been used) but the wheel has vertical slack on my setting. Coupled with the fact that the driving position is uncomfortable in any other position means I might be screwed :x .

The only thought I have have is to weld a small plate (steel: approx 1 x 4cm) to bridge the gap between the two steering column sections, beneath where the height adjustment hinge is.

This would mean my column is then fixed (ie non-adjustable) but should be safe to drive. Any thoughts??

Dave.

P.S. I've had the lower column cover off (three x-head screws and pull gently), and the two parts I want to weld together appear to be a cast alloy of some sort. Any ideas about welding to these??

Cheeky barstewards telling you that a "worn steering column" is a known fault. That's like telling you that worn tyres is a known fault.

Put the column on another setting and take it to another garage for MOT. Tell VW to go screw themselves if they think you're paying £537+VAT for a new column... :roll:

I (and quite a few others) have had problems with the steering feel which is helped by moving the wheel to a different setting. Mine is now on the bottom point - (which for a short-arse like me isn't too bad) :? It felt really weird at first, but you soon get used to a new position and as the steering feels so much better - it's worthwhile persevering I reckon. Good luck with it . . .

I've found that although moving the column to another setting *appears* to fix the problem for a short while, it doesn't really seem to fix anything, it just alters your perceptions for a while.

I think the basic issue is that you need to tighten up the whole column, UJs and rack.

I think I might have a closer look at the column myself.

Does anyone know of a good workshop manual for the Corrado? I looked on the Haynes website - Scirroco and Golf listed, but no Corrado!!

daveh, Welcome to the forum.

I had the same problem. There is a steel pin that the adjustment teeth drop into and this had come out of the casting slightly on one side. I managed to tap it back in to the hole and all is perfect now. As for the other positions being ok I'm not sure but if I remember correctly my 'other' positions were ok when I had my problem. Have a look if you haven't already.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

I've just popped out and had a quick look - too dark to see - will try again tomorrow.

The mechanism looks quite complicated, from what I remember from yesterdays swearing session with my car.

It appears to have one locking pin (and corresponding rack) for positions 1 and 3, and a whole duplicate assembly for possitions 2 and 4. Very strange.

I'm hoping that I might be able to swap the parts over, so that my setting is repaired.

In the mean time, I will start looking for my biggest hammer............'Just a little tap' you say!