Fine wine, Belgian chocs.

Lennys love machine....

nice,you know i kinda miss that standard loook on my car sometimes but clean bodywork :D

V. cool.

You know, those wheels are my favourite on the C. Well maybe I'm a bit biased........(though mine are only replicas).

30mm lowering??? Again, imo looks best.

very nice mate i like them in red when they are all shiney and clean !!! kepp it that way dont let the buggar fade on ya

Christ on a bike. It's nine years today since I updated this thread and my Corrado is still just the same.

542898_3545156984869_1805381096_n.jpg

576842_3545158984919_1150832610_32680107_1982949258_n.jpg

I took it for an MOT today and it sailed through which shouldn't be a surprise as it'd only done 173 miles in the year!

I promise to use it more this year.

Love the fact you've stuck with the car all this time. Wish I could keep cars for such a duration! Looking stunning in red too.

Doesn't time fly when you're having fun?

I've had this for over thirteen years now and can't see me ever getting rid of it.

It's been an interesting couple of years since my last update and I'm pleased to say that I've used it more over the last couple of summers than I have done in the previous seven years. I changed jobs early last year and now, thankfully, I do without a company car (absolutely despised the BMW 1-series with a passion anyway) so over the summer I now alternate the Corrado and the 2cv as my daily driver and I'm loving it.

In May last year (2014) I had a smashing day out at Rockingham as I'd somehow managed to blag my way onto a photoshoot for Practical Classics...

..the subject was 90s coupes...

2014-05-28%2010.29.25_zpsrjzow0u0.jpg

...and we all got a go on the track in the rain...

DSC04373_zpseikkmoda.jpg

...this was taken at about 30mph while the photographer hung out the back of an old 5-series estate...

Laurens%20Parsons%20Photography-283_zpsjzrhgm0o.jpg

The article was in print later in the year...

DSC04433_zpshbx2cg0j.jpg

...and although there were a few inaccuracies in the article (24-valve head?) the guy who wrote it (veteran journalist John Simister) was a proper fan of the car and loved blasting it down the lanes surrounding Rockingham with me in the passenger seat.

DSC04434_zpsus4jqraj.jpg

And the verdict of the comparison?

DSC04435_zpsct1givu7.jpg

Quite right too.

This year (2015) has been a bit more challenging and expensive. The old thing has always had a bit of an appetite for oil, and the coolant has needed topping up every few months but when I put it back on the road in March something was wrong. Sometimes when I put my foot down I got a lovely blast of blue smoke out of the back and one of the spark plugs kept oiling itself up every hundred miles or so. A compression test showed that one of the cylinders was down so I had to bite the bullet and get stuck in...

20150510_174601_zpsfbcuhwe8.jpg

Now, I've had engines apart before but nothing like this. I can rebuild a 2cv or Beetle engine no problem but this was something else.

It seemed pointless to take the head off with the engine in the car as the clutch and timing chains would have to be done while I was at it so I whipped it out and took the head off. It was obvious what the problem was:

DSC04985_zpsr6igdtta.jpg

I presume that the head gasket had been weeping very slightly and allowed some coolant into this bore which had sat there over the winter and corroded the cylinder wall which then damaged the oil control ring when it was started up.

DSC04992_zpslmks28ev.jpg

By the time I'd finished it's had a rebore (to 82.5mm), six new pistons, timing chains and tensioners, oil pump, water pump, every seal and gasket, new valves, valve guides, stem seals, very minor head skim, etc, etc.

DSC05115_zpsxmzr0tme.jpg

The only thing I didn't replace was the bottom end bearings as there was absolutely no wear at all down there.

20150715_220300_zpsjim39xgk.jpg

The block was acid dipped and painted in heat resistant light grey, the gearbox was cleaned up and painted Citroen 'Gris Nocturne' as I had plenty of that and I'm quite amused at painting my Corrado engine and box to match my 2cv.

DSC05120_zpsyw6uwtfg.jpg

It was a pleasure to rebuild and I learned a lot along the way. Every single nut and bolt was torqued to spec according to the genuine VW manual I'd thankfully bought many years ago.

20150725_181949_zpsg8xg3zk7.jpg

I've done 17oo miles in it since then and (touch wood) it has been no trouble. It hasn't used a drop of coolant and the only oil loss was down to the only thing I neglected to torque to the correct spec - the sump plug. That could've been nasty!

So we're all set to go for another 13 years with a bit of luck. She's going to get a bit of paintwork over the winter (just bumpers, spoiler, mirrors) and I've been looking into getting something done with the drab original upholstery but I suppose they'll be stories for next year (or whenever I get around to updating this again).

Edited by Fine wine, Belgian chocs.

Still here.

She's going for a set of new tyres tomorrow followed by an MOT.

The tyres are in a dreadful state. Not completely bald but cracked like crazy paving all over and they're only 13 years old (!)

I'm going for Pirelli Zero Neros. I'll report back in 13 years and tell you if they're better than Continental Sport Contacts.