Sign in to follow this  
Dirtysouth

perfect timing!! No heat from heaters

My heaters have decided to take the winter off!!! all the directions work fine i.e windscreen and foot wells but the heat has just gone and dont know were to start looking any one got any tips on wat to check??

cheers Muks

Dirtysouth, check that both heater pipes leading to the matrix get hot. They go through the bulkhead on the pasenger's side.

If they're hot, you have a damaged heater flap control cable.

Even with the heater temp set to "cold", hot water still circulates through the heater matrix. Supply of this heat to the inside of the car is contolled by a plastic flap, behind the dashboard.

There's a "safety valve" on the heater matrix. If the pressure in the matrix goes too low, compared to the incoming pressure, this bypasses the heater matrix altogether to prevent it being blown up.

Could be this valve preventing hot water getting into your heater core.

If your water pump was screwed, so would your engine be........

get the lower shelf out of the passenger side (6 obvious screws, dead easy), and you can reach under the heater block in the centre of the dash. You should be able to see the two bowden cables at the bottom, iirc one of those is the heat/cold control flap.

cheers guys i am going to have a go at it 2mrw hope all goes well and i can source the problem without too much hassel let you know what happens.....................

cheers muks

I've got all the bit to fix the flap so it blows on screen but now after a while heat hot the all of a sudden it blow cold air any know why it does that is it the matrix knacked :mad:

If I parsed your text correctly, Craigs8vgti, yes, you might have a knackered heater matrix.

But then you might also have a touch of scabies, it's kinda hard to tell without punctuation or grammar... ;)

Does it start to blow lukewarmish air as the engine warms up - then go cold again? Thats what mine did. Theres some kind of valve in line with the heater pipes. Just at the back/right hand side of the engine near the expansion tank. Follow the pipes and theres some metal contraption fitted. This needs replacing - its only about £15, but i cant remember what its called - sorry!!!

was that on your g60? ill look at that bit, as thats what mine does exactly is it near the bulk head or further into the engine compartment? hope i can sort this problem out one day im fed up talking myself into the fact its not cold its winter it is cold! i need hot air!

Im pretty sure thats what it is. That was on the G60. Its kind of behind the engine, almost under the dashboard. Its a part about 6 inches long with a metal bit at one end. Easy to replace as its inline with the coolant pipes, just need to undo the jubilee clips and replace it. Good luck, and keep warm...

I have got the same problem on my rado.

I spent 2 hours yesterday trying to figure out what was the problem was with my heaters. I replaced the heater pipes with the valves on them, no joy. Replaced the both pipes without the valves, no joy, still cold air.

The pipes are luke warm when the engine is running hot - Does this mean I have a damaged heater flap control cable or a new plastic flap behind the dashboard?

The pipes are luke warm when the engine is running hot - Does this mean I have a damaged heater flap control cable or a new plastic flap behind the dashboard?

The matrix pipes should be the same temperature as the rest of the cooling system pipes. Water circulates through the heater matrix whenever the engine is running. Interior air flow temperature is controlled by a flap next to the heater box.

i had a go at mine 2day and found out its a faulty control cable when i turn to hot it does not push the adjuster all the away but when i tried it with my finger it works so for now i have left it hot for now.

Does anyone know how to replace the cable? from what i saw it didnt look like an easy task??

cheers muks

Have this same problem on my C......i have taken the bi-pass valve off and replaced with two straight through heater pipes.....still no good though.

yeah seems like a common problem,i thought it would be interesting to bring the thread up again then start a new post......

Anyway i'm having this problem im just wondering if anyone has changed the online bi-pass valve as well as the water pump??