Sign in to follow this  
jamest

80k service...

hey,

ive currently got a golf vr6 which has just passed the 80000miles mark!

(i had a rado but someone went up the back of it and wrote it off!)

it is overdue a 10k service but to be honest i was qouted 180quid and that seems kinda pricey. I wouldnt say i am technically minded but am quite handy and was just wondering what would need doing to it for this service and whether the things are possibly to DIY?

I know i wont be able to do everything but tasks like changing the oil are within my capabilities!

Basically what im lookig for is a list of service jobs, what can be done myself and what cant, and the cost of taking those that cant to a non-rip off garage!

any help appreciated, cheers

if its been well maintained prior to you owning it.........then 80k should be a biggie.........fuel filter(every 20k miles),spark plugs(also every 20k miles),coolant change (every 2-3 years) and of course air/oil filters........i would also check when the Serpentine belt was last changed as these are only checked at 60k intervals(if they are checked at all)............but don't take it for granted that whoever is quoting for the 80k service will do all or any of the above........you have to make sure they tell you what they are going to do for the price quoted.......as £180 sounds just like a $tealer oil-lube service so plugs and fuel filter won't be included let alone the serpentine belt