Sign in to follow this  
joebloggsVR69

Help!!! VR6 won't start

hehehe :lol:

theirs nothing wrong with my grammar

I never said anything about your grammar, I'm sure she's a lovely person... ;)

I'll get me coat..

Yes, back to the thread topic please :wink:

I cant bear to be VR6-less much longer :cry:

I'll try and jump start it tonight, maybe test the starter motor to see if its getting any current

Now you're talking. Why risk the timing chains if you have the wherewithall to test the starter for current?

you can also take the thin wire off the starter solenoid (it's a spade connector) and connect a wire from the solenoid up towards the battery. Touch the end onto the live of the battery and see if it turns the starter motor... MAKE SURE THE CAR IS NOT IN GEAR FIRST!!!

If it turns over, then you have a dead ignition switch or immobiliser, if it doesn't you have a dead starter motor... 8)

*Update*

I was gonna jump start it last night, but I didnt even need to... :roll:

I thought I may as well try starting the car up one last time, and lo and behold, it started! Admittedly, the starter moater really groaned and took several turns before it fired up, but it did start :shock:

So know I'm back at square 1 - was it cold weather (i.e. damp) that affected the starter motor? Was it a dodgy battery? Even though the battery was fully charged...

I might just go and buy a new battery just for the hell of it, so at least I can rule that out :|

check the wiring mate.

check the little wire that connects to the starter motor

check the water levels in the battery

if the battery is suspect (or of unknown age) get yourself a new one

make sure the earth straps are in good condition / tight

As you're getting odd starting, unplug the big multi-pin connector adjacent to the coilpack and check for corrosion on the pins. You might want to check the ECU plug is free of corrosion too. Check all the earths etc too as mentioned already.

Definitely replace the battery - winter's coming up and you need plenty of juice to crank that big lump over when it's -10 outside!

Yeah, I still reckon it's the starter motor, but I may as well get a new battery seeing as I dont know when it was put in the car :|

At least once I've bought the new battery I can rule it out as being the culprit :D

joebloggs,

Today my VR6 is doing exactly the same as what you describe, be grateful if you could let us know if you find the problem. Cheers

After all that, it turns out it was the battery :oops: :roll:

Goes to show, it's usually the most obvious thing :wink: Car now starts up straight away. I would have thought leaving the old battery on a charger for a full 24 hours would have topped it up, but I guess not.

New battery cost less than £55, Bosh Silver from GSF. I'm sure the Halfrauds ones were about £70 :roll:

When my battery went, I found that I could charge it overnight and it'd manage 12v in the morning. After a single startup of the car, and then a drive to work, and being parked all day, I found it was down to 7 volts... But it was still managing to turn the engine over, albeit slowly!!

On closer inspection I found all but two cells were pretty much dry, and decided to get a new one.. No problems since.