Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Supercharged VR's

Firstly which is the best supercharger for the VR from what i've heard its the Vortech, also roughly how much do these kits cost, and last i heard many people say that a vr needs to have the internals upgraded pistons etc before turbo-ing or supercharging is this right??? which one gives more brake horse the turbos or chargers.

cheers dudes.....

You can buy s/h vortech kits for about £1000 (I picked my V1 up for £900) leaving you money for boost upgrades and remapping etc. You want either the V1 or V2 for big power. You can buy all the bits separately too and builld a kit to your own specifications.

I bought mine in UK but they are quite rare in this country on the second hand market. If you want a s/h vortech try vwvortex.com forced induction classifieds where they appear fairly regularly and you'll still get a good bargain even with the costs of shipping and importing to UK added on.

Still not clear who's is the BEST kit though fella's, no-one's mentioned the Z Engineering?? kit. Love to know if anyones tried a few different types of charger?!?

I had a Z-Eng for 25k miles and have now got a vortech. The Z kit is a good kit and the zr2 is the one to have but nobody sells the Z anymore although they do come up occasionally on the s/h market. The vortech is superb too, v smooth and powerful and ulimately more upgradeable than the Z (you can buy pulleys easily to increase the boost whilst the Z charger's boost is fixed). Personally I'd go for a vortech v1 or v2 as you can use the dual idler pulley (prevents belt slippage), the belt tensioning system is well designed and all the parts are available separately.

Speak to Guy Heartly, he has the charged VR6 storm in dark blue. He has had a nightmare time with his charger and has changed a few times from one make to another. He will no doubt put you in the right direction. 311bhp is the proof of that!

Yes G H had a few Z chargers which sprung oil leaks so he switched to the VF-Eng vortech v9 kit. He's got low comp pistons (and loads of other stuff) so he can wind up the boost safely.

Yes G H had a few Z chargers which sprung oil leaks so he switched to the VF-Eng vortech v9 kit. He's got low comp pistons (and loads of other stuff) so he can wind up the boost safely.

Who makes the best low comp pistons, cost?

Who makes the best low comp pistons, cost?

I would go for a US manufacture as the current exchange rate of $1.92 to £1 is rather good.com.

Have you tried EIP Lee?

some one convince me to supercharge a 12v vr6. Everyone Ive spoken to in the past said its a bad move. Maybe things have moved on "WATER INJECTION" etc - However whats the point if you cant put the power down. I looked in on VR6oc.com and most owner want or have chargers

I have a stage two VF charger on my car. If your motor is healthy, it will take the charger just fine. My kit was installed at 80k. You do not need to make any internal modifications to your motor. VF designed their kits to be bolt on and go. I've got the stage 2 kit and have had no problems...and I've put over 15k on the V9 Vortech charger.

The one thing I do recommend doing is, changing to stiffer motor mounts.

Corrado_misc_012.sized.jpg

I wish people would stop saying that these chargers reduce the life of the engine, I firmly believe that is utter cack.

If the engine has previous fault on it it will invariably make itself shown but I dont believe supercharging a VR does any damage to the engine what so ever.

ok...! Lets say that supercharging a health 12v vr6 no problem. What about putting the power down (wheel spins in 3rd etc)

Traction isn't a big problem as the power is quite progressive. On a dry road wheelspin isn't at all excessive. In fact I rarely get the wheels spinning, only in first gear on full throttle. Obviously the tyres get a bit overwhelmed in wet conditions but otherwise it isn't an issue if you're sensible.

I wish people would stop saying that these chargers reduce the life of the engine, I firmly believe that is utter cack.

I'd be inclined to say the exceeding the factory spec on the bottom (and top) of an engine by around 50% is going to make a significant difference to the lifetime of the engine, myself...!

Designed to last for 200k miles on 181lbft, and now you're pushing 265lbft through the same components? Of course it reduces the life of the engine!

Whether it reduces it to the point where you're rebuilding every year or every three is probably down to how it's driven, but things wear proportionally to the stress they are placed under, simple as that.

Of course, it may reduce the lifetime from 200k to 100k, in which case you're probably not going to notice (or mind, really!), but it will inevitably reduce it!

That's not to say I wouldn't consider it, if I had cash floating around, I'd just budget for an engine rebuild every 50k and maybe be pleasantly surprised when it lasts 80k! :)