Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Supercharged VR's

I can't be arsed. You lot never listen anyway... ;)

It's my fault I come from the school of thought that says you repeat it often enough and loud enough and people might understand..

basil_fawlty!

I dunno dr_mat but the thought of you setting about your Corrado in some quiet street with a branch from a tree just has me chuckling to myself :)

That's not actually Basil Fawlty though is it Jim?

Is it not a scene from the film Clockwise?

I could be wrong....

Im pretty sure if you go supercharged the 268 cams will need to come back out trebor.

Are you sure....? what about the manifold these two cost me shed loads

Yes, 268s are too wild for supercharging. The manifold is OK, that can stay put.

You can easily flog the cams on ebay at a minimal loss.

Worse news is the manifold, though ok for use with a charger doesnt do much. Only about 10lb/ft in the midrange from some graphs I seen instead of the 30 you get normally aspirated.

It's not all bad news, you can easily sell the VGI and 268s on ebay. Guy Hartley and VR6 SC use the VGI with a supercharger, so they must have seen the benefit of retaining it.

The stage 1 charger doesn't do much till about 3500 rpm anyway as it's very progressive, so you're still going to get the benefits of induction tuning up to and around that rpm.

I had my car dynoed with the charger alone and with the charger and vgi together and the peak power and torque was identical. The vgi does give a nice bit of extra shove low down though so it's worth keeping. I've sold mine now as I decided to go for more boost instead. On the subject of reliability, I haven't had any problems as a result of having a charger, just the usual vr6 niggles, so in my experience s/c would be a good option.

ok, just read this, good thread now :)

My basis for my argument is that I know a lot of people with charged VRs and I dont know of any that have blown up. Pretty convincing argument for me really.

No I havent actually driven more than 20 miles on a supercharged vr, but I do own the charger, and I can say for definate that its not putting any extra wear on my engine.......mainly because its sat on a shelf in my loft :wink:

Hi there, my first time on here as one of my mates knows i run supercharged VRs and he wants my experience to be known.

First of all, my everyday thrash car is a Vento VR6, with over 183,000 miles on the clock.

This car has ran a Vortec supercharger for at least 75,000 miles and is driven without mercy all of the time.

It doesn`t use any oil, is quiet and has been totally reliable.

As far as i`m aware, its never had the head off and is still on its original timing chains.

The last major trip it took part in was a 1900 mile thrash through Europe in 3 days!

I also have a Golf with a Z engineering charger. This car has covered 70,000 miles without any issue, but it obviously hasn`t covered any significant mileage.

so as far as i`m concerned supercharging VRs doesn`t reduce the reliability of the engine.

Regarding poor reliability issues, a mate has a passat VR6. This isn`t supercharged, but it is in the process of getting the head gasket replaced, at a mileage of.......

203,000! :shock:

Sorry for such a long post, but to summarise, Basil knows nothing! :roll:

So some folks have been lucky then? ;)

A VR6 with 183k miles and original timing chains is a freak of nature in itself, unless it's running the later single chain setup! :)

Interesting though - it seems these cars last MUCH longer out in the US. We rarely hear stories of untouched VR engines hitting 200k over here. Perhaps it's the climate? Or the auto gearboxes? Or the long distances? Or the fact it's a 2.8? Who knows?

VW's engine design dept probably do, but I'll bet they won't tell us.

A VR6 with 183k miles and original timing chains is a freak of nature in itself, unless it's running the later single chain setup!

Interesting though - it seems these cars last MUCH longer out in the US. We rarely hear stories of untouched VR engines hitting 200k over here.

Ermm... remember who runs this site Basil!

Andi's has comfortably exceeded 200k now hasn't it - all original too IIRC?

As always, the key to engine longevity is timely maintanence and frequent oil changes.