Sign in to follow this  
Reggit

Bloomin' temp gauge

I usually have a temp gauge that reads low, at most 65 degrees in normal conditions...

however, tonight I'd driven about 5 miles on a cold engine and pulled up with engine idling for about 5 minutes, on setting off again I noticed the coolant warning flashing and gauge rapidly making for 120 degrees with the fans runing.

Stopped car and looked under bonnet, nothing seems amiss, water level on max marker, top and bottom radiator hoses at a similar temperature, warm but not hot, drove home cautiously and noticed that the gauge lowered whilst driving by about 10 degrees, as would be expected with airflow around radiator.

I've recently had sender out, but have no reason to suspect air locks as car has been driven a bit since doing this. Only thing differend was replacing the plastic guard that fits over the temp senders, and after removing this gauge showed normal (for my car!) temperature again.

I'm at a loss with this one, I'm guessing problem is electrical as engine (and stat housing) didn't appear overly hot. Although I may swop the sender with a spare as a matter of course.

Anyone got any thoughts???

Went through all that on Saturday on a member's car!. Ended up changing the stat, housing and coolant because his needle wouldn't go above 75, but the engine was OK as yours is - so don't bother with all that!

It's likely to be the temp sender (yellow I think) or the guage itself.

Damn this sounds familiar. It happened to me tonight, that after a spirited run back from Harrogate, I was pootling though the centre of town and the warning light stared flashing (but the fan wasn't on). The radiator was hot, as was the water in the header tank, but the temp was reading only about 75 degrees (as was the oil temp). Is there any way of checking if the temp sender gague is working? (iIn laymans terms please :) ).

Cheers,

Tom

Almost the same deal with my roommate’s car. We just replaced his blue/black sensors and flushed his coolant system. We don’t get what’s going on... after driving the car for 5 min or so (taking it really easy) the temp will go up to over 230 and the light will start to flash! My car only gets to 230 if I am driving the hell out of my car. We are stumped because we just replaced the sensors and flushed the coolant. Any ideas? Could the new sensors be bad or even the wrong ones?

230!!!!! i take it thats farenheight (spellcheck!!!!) didnt realise US spec were in different scales on temp aswell!

whats 230 in C?

I get the same darn red light someties too. I'm guessing its electrical because I too had the coolant flushed and the water level is fine. The light sure is scary though. Hasn't happened for a week or so though. Mine also will run at the 230 mark if I drive for a while then idle, but the oil temp rarely goes over 200. I've in a Car & Driver mag that the oil should go over 200 every now and again. Is this true? Also, one time the oil jump from not reading it to 200 back down to 140 ect. What is that?

Thanks,

230!!!!! i take it thats farenheight (spellcheck!!!!) didnt realise US spec were in different scales on temp aswell!

whats 230 in C?

Oh yes, and their gallon is smaller than ours and they go by 'quarts' instead of litres. Not to mention their octane ratings are different to ours too. The sooner the whole world goes metric, the better. And they drive on the wrong side of the road....and what the feck is a 55mph freeway limit all about? Most of their V8 sedans pull 55 at tickover! What a waste!

Mind you they could run a car for a week on 40 bucks worth.....where as that would cover a day's use over here.

Nah, it’s only like 2.30 USD per gallon here. It’s actually much cheaper here with the currency change. You guys are getting screwed...yes, our speed limits suck... (Normally its 65 not 55).