Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

4WD (syncro) conversion (UPDATE: 20/02/05)

biggerbigben, I hope it isnt i've had my vr for over a year now and although ive not spent much on the engine i did consider a transplant for somthing that is low mileage and more powerful.......providing theres no major issues it sounds all good.

biggerbigben, I hope it isnt i've had my vr for over a year now and although ive not spent much on the engine i did consider a transplant for somthing that is low mileage and more powerful.......providing theres no major issues it sounds all good.

Yeah, you just need to move the rear gearbox mount and a couple of other bits 'n' pieces and your there! 8)

How do the r32's sound, i ve not heard one yet are they like the vr better or worse?, The vr with a decent exhaut and intake sounds superb what is it like comapred to that/

thanks

The R32 prob sounds louder and more throaty with a decent exhaust. Chargedupstorm aka Guy H has a AMD tuned R32 running about 301bhp, I've been in that loads and it sounds amazing! If anything its too loud....

better, MUCH better.

I've just got my fuel system and oil cooler fittings, so when I get that plumbed in I'll be able to run it again, and this time I will actually do a sound clip.

Are you hoping to get it finished for inters Paul? Looking forward to seeing it...

think he said that he was going to Worthersee.... 8) (i am..)

will be going to inters on the saturday I think.

I was hoping to have it done for elsecar, but my paint man has said he can't do the bumpers for 2 weeks :-(

Oil cooler is aal done, some pics of that coming soon.

just modified the fuel tank to take the bigger SX pump.

not been on here for a while,

and spent about an hour just looking and reading this thread, lots of info there and some really good pictures.

some really good work there guys.

except you ve made some crazzy ideas to start floating round my head.

Not sure if this is relevant so if i'm wide of the mark feel free to ignore me.

I know there was some concerns mentioned about the rear wheel camber when converting a Corrado to 4wd. A friend has just bought a Golf 4 Motion and when making enquiries about lowering was informed there are camber issues on the rear axle when lowered, resulting in uneven tyre wear.

Apparently some firms have developed a solution and developed a kit which allows camber adjustment.

This made me wonder if the same solution would work on the Corrado? and solve the issues.

I was told AmD and Forge Motorsport are 2 suppliers? Is this the product? Would it work?

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/conten ... uct=FMAUTB

Not sure if this is relevant so if i'm wide of the mark feel free to ignore me.

I know there was some concerns mentioned about the rear wheel camber when converting a Corrado to 4wd. A friend has just bought a Golf 4 Motion and when making enquiries about lowering was informed there are camber issues on the rear axle when lowered, resulting in uneven tyre wear.

Apparently some firms have developed a solution and developed a kit which allows camber adjustment.

This made me wonder if the same solution would work on the Corrado? and solve the issues.

I was told AmD and Forge Motorsport are 2 suppliers? Is this the product? Would it work?

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/conten ... uct=FMAUTB

£250 + VAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good idea but not spending that, got something planned instead......

mmmmm dont think it is applicable to the syncro back axle, as the 4motion rear axle is a totally different design. Nice thought though.

I have an excellent idea about eliminating the camber on the back with some minor mods, requires the haldex diff really though.

All forge do is weld in a double ended threaded bar and 2 nuts intot he middle of the rear suspension tie bars (one with a LH thread, one with a RH thread) so it actls like a turnbuckle and can be adjusted in length.

not possible on the syncro axle as it has a totally different setup.

However, I have dreaming up a rather spiffing idea of an eccentric washer, which I shall be putting into production soon to help with syncro rear axle camber issues.

ok..not been on for a long while, but i do try to come on at work and browse through the threads....this conversion in particular is just great to follow! Any chance a few photos could be sent to me phatty of different shots, i.e. rear diff,engine,corrado without the front end...with it all finished. I wanna make an A3 printed poster of your car and have it placed on my wall...coxxy, your doing great too mate...i hope you do get on pvw's front cover!

Fantastic stuff...cya at inters and keep up the work. Sanj.

Well - thought I would post some progress pics up of the my new bracketry for the haldex diff.

Its all mounted and ready to fit up the shafts and wishbones, then I have jut got the prop to do before its ready to be sat on its wheels.

bo11ocks forgot to attach the pics!

BTW I have to admit I sh1t it and got my mate andy in to help with the diff mounting. I trust his abilities as the drag car in the second pic down was all his work.

ok since not a single person was interested in the last set of pictures I will try another couple :roll:

and if these dont work I might try chroming something, that usually generates a few pages of response lol

This is the car back down on its wheels at approximately the correct ride height, note that the camber on the rear wheels is spot on.

Ben I would seriously check the positioning of the rear beam in your car mate, both mine and pauls corrados do not seem to have a camber problem. its a strange one. For me to have any sort of camber problem the wheels have to be tucked right up in the arches :roll:

Nice work Mr Cox and Leigh. That is one big bastard of a diff. it's hard enough bolting up the syncro one, and that's MEANT to fit!

Far more impressive than chromed wiper stalks and lupo wipers...........some people just can't appreciate good old engineering......