Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

4WD (syncro) conversion (UPDATE: 20/02/05)

Well Paul, you have confirmed my suspicions. That is exactly why I did not bother with the 4WD and stuck with the Quaife Diff instead. The syncro system has an 80% 20% bias off the line, so the front wheels always light up just like a normal FWD. The 4WD is awesome once your rolling in the wet, but I would rather not have all the weight for the rest of the time. Someone needs to dump a quattro system in there, then we are talking!!

Jay

you can't even feel the weight, and it actually makes the car feel more planted. it's worth it for the independant rear suspension.

I haven't had a check underneath yet, I may have destroyed the viscous coupling!

you can't even feel the weight, and it actually makes the car feel more planted. it's worth it for the independant rear suspension.

I'm looking forward to driving mine to see how it handles, I never built mine to drag so therefore I think the syncro system will suit me ok, plus with my power at least I won't have much torque steer like an equivalent FWD car would have.

STOP PRESS

seems I can't blame the wheels pin on the 4wd after all. Got sick of hearong that awful rumbling noise under the car so I got it up on axle stands and put it in gear with the engine idling.

bizzarrely, front wheels turning, rears not, and that noise from underneath? still there. stuck my head underneath and to my horro, the prop was spiinning, but the VC and rear diff wasn't!!

turned it off quickly and got under it to assess the situation.

the 3 bolts (whoch I bought new from VAG) which hold the prop to the VC are too short. they've only been in 2 threads deep, and have stripped the threads out of the VC. then the prop spinning has machined away the alloy and knackered the VC, it's totally shot.

I think it's been loose for a while, but the drag launch finally sheared the bots of the threads out and twisted the rubber coupling too.

just had a complete mare of a job taking the prop off,

the VC is toast, I need a new one, which has to be off a vr6 syncro........I may as well make another one out of rocking horse shit.....

at this moment, I'm thining about breaking the car, I'm totally and utterly sick of the sick of it.

Seen on clubgti your serious about breaking it, seems a waste after all the work and you said it yourself:

Run it fwd, get the engine management working properly and enjoy, 4wd can come at a later date when you eventually find a coupling.

Alternatively dont you have a Haldex setup you could use from your 2.8 24v engine?

STOP PRESS

seems I can't blame the wheels pin on the 4wd after all. Got sick of hearong that awful rumbling noise under the car so I got it up on axle stands and put it in gear with the engine idling.

bizzarrely, front wheels turning, rears not, and that noise from underneath? still there. stuck my head underneath and to my horro, the prop was spiinning, but the VC and rear diff wasn't!!

turned it off quickly and got under it to assess the situation.

the 3 bolts (whoch I bought new from VAG) which hold the prop to the VC are too short. they've only been in 2 threads deep, and have stripped the threads out of the VC. then the prop spinning has machined away the alloy and knackered the VC, it's totally shot.

I think it's been loose for a while, but the drag launch finally sheared the bots of the threads out and twisted the rubber coupling too.

just had a complete mare of a job taking the prop off,

the VC is toast, I need a new one, which has to be off a vr6 syncro........I may as well make another one out of rocking horse ****.....

at this moment, I'm thining about breaking the car, I'm totally and utterly sick of the sick of it.

MATE, funny you should say that because when I was attaching the prop to the VC, the bolts didn't seem long enough, I to bought new ones from the stealers as well. Both my old man and I said they didn't seem long enough!!!! I'm going to get under the car asap and pull a bolt out and see if I can buy some longer ones....

unlikey mate!

Man, that sucks... I got utterly stressed at a minor cooling problem on mine so I can't even begin to imagine how gutted you are... I'm not going to say don't break it, like everyone else will, cause only you know how you feel about the car... At the end of the day, you can feel proud of what you've achieved thus far - you've done more to your car than most of us ever will!

Can you not portion part of the blame onto VW and try and reclaim some of the cost of a new VC from them?

VW are a waste of time, I complained about the new crank oil seal I bought off them, which turned itself inside out after 3 months, knackering m y bottom end, and all they'd off me was a new £8 seal.

Ben, ditch those bolts, they need to be 8mm longer, they only go into the coupling 2 threads deep, and there's a good 100 threads in there.

found another rear diff and coupling in holland, so I'm going to get that and hopefully it'll be here when I come back from the Isle of Man. Until then it's time to forget all about cars and have a bloody good break from it all and come back with a fresh outlook and decide then what I'm going to do with it.

Ben, ditch those bolts, they need to be 8mm longer, they only go into the coupling 2 threads deep, and there's a good 100 threads in there.

Will do buddy, sorry that you had to find out the hard way! Have a good break and then hit it strong once the new VC arrives! :)

new rear diff and vc is here, fitting it today, hopefully it'll solve a lot of my problems.

You got it fitted Paul? Whats the story with the bolts, I plan to get some this weekend if I have time, so you reckon we need 8mm longer bolts?

Ben

dunno what he has done with the bolts but the car is pretty much fettled now.

4wd is working and the other grumbling noise was coming from them daft track tyres he was running.

dunno what he has done with the bolts but the car is pretty much fettled now.

4wd is working and the other grumbling noise was coming from them daft track tyres he was running.

hows yours coming along coxy?

yeah, got it sorted, I cut down the r32 bolts. they were too long, but had proper hex heads so I could tighten them up better.

still got a slight noise coming from somewhere, but the 4wd is working a treat now (as proved at harewood house last weekend ;-) )

mine moving along slower than an axtra slow witted sloth, thats just mistakenly eaten a full ganja plant...

I have just bought a scrapper corrado to rob all the sundry bits off that I need to complete the job.

Might get a bit done over the weekend - I really havent got a great deal to do to complete. Painting the biggest job I am going to have - do I have it painted straigt away or leave it a bit, probablies best to paint while the interior is out.

mine moving along slower than an axtra slow witted sloth, thats just mistakenly eaten a full ganja plant...

I have just bought a scrapper corrado to rob all the sundry bits off that I need to complete the job.

Might get a bit done over the weekend - I really havent got a great deal to do to complete. Painting the biggest job I am going to have - do I have it painted straigt away or leave it a bit, probablies best to paint while the interior is out.

what’s wrong with the paint??? It’s got character :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Managed to get some longer hex bolts for the VC, need to chop off about 4mm and then they are the right size.. just trying to get as much done on the interior so those bolts will have to wait.

Coxy, you might as well crack on and paint the thing. If not just do the inside for the time being... you keeping it yellow?

Paul and Coxy are you going to be at E38?

what’s wrong with the paint??? It’s got character :lol: :lol: :lol:

It certainly has character :lol: and aits now splattered to bits with under seal/stone guard etc.

Ben, I am keeping it yellow, original colour, no special mixes. I dont think VR6Banana could take it if I painted his old car blue lol

I was speaking with the painter and he agrees it should stay the original or as close to the original colour as possible. Its the car identity, its like a D list celebrity in certain corners of the country!

Should be going to Edition 38 - when is it?

what’s wrong with the paint??? It’s got character :lol: :lol: :lol:

It certainly has character :lol: and aits now splattered to bits with under seal/stone guard etc.

Ben, I am keeping it yellow, original colour, no special mixes. I dont think VR6Banana could take it if I painted his old car blue lol

I was speaking with the painter and he agrees it should stay the original or as close to the original colour as possible. Its the car identity, its like a D list celebrity in certain corners of the country!

Should be going to Edition 38 - when is it?

2,3rd of Sep matey, you better be there, would be nice to meet you at last, same goes to others.. Paul H etc etc

Coxy you have a PM.. :D

excellent thread!nice to see how much works involvled,only thing is its almost shattered my dreams of takin something like this on,anybody fancy converting mine for me :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ahhhh PhatVR6 cracks me up....... :-P

PhatVR6 = vince @ stealth?