Sign in to follow this  
MFP

Cross drilled brake discs

Anybody know if you can fit Cross drilled brake discs to a VR6 on 15" Speedline wheels?

Cheers

Matt :?:

zimmermans from GSF are spot on IMO.

Please excuse my ignorance, but who or what are GSF? When I replace my discs I want Cross Drilled Ones and would like some advice on where to get them and do they need new/different pads as well?

Thank's for your help people

Anybody know what the part numbers might be? I've had a quick look on their site and can only spy cross drilled discs for the rear wheels.

You're best off ringing them up, ask for a pair Zimmerman Drilled discs and Pagid fast road pads, I'm using them on mine and can't fault the set up. I think it was only about £115 for the lot.

Just don't use a hard pad (Mintex M1144/M1155) with Zimmermans or they will warp. Tbh, I've tried Zimmerman's, Black Diamond and Pagid grooved discs and they are no better than VAG discs with pagid FR pads. Take metal away from a disc and you remove it's heatsinking properties. Only the cast 'drilled' discs such as 911s have are any good.

Just don't use a hard pad (Mintex M1144/M1155) with Zimmermans or they will warp. Tbh, I've tried Zimmerman's, Black Diamond and Pagid grooved discs and they are no better than VAG discs with pagid FR pads. Take metal away from a disc and you remove it's heatsinking properties. Only the cast 'drilled' discs such as 911s have are any good.

The only benefit you get from drilled disks is that they allow the gases that build up between the pads and the disk to escape. This only happens if you're giving your brakes some serious stick. The benefits from gas dissapation also have to outweigh the loss of heat dissapation, pad contact area and weakening of the disks that you get from removing chunks of metal from them.

On a 911 and M3 yeah, otherwise you a charlatan!

Holes and grooves are useless unless you keep them clear of compacted brake pad residue anyway, and not many people can be arsed to do that of a Sunday morning with a tooth pick!

nothing wrong with wanting cool looking brakes is there?

Depends who you want them to look cool for. You average chav pikey might think standard size drilled discs are the mutts sausages but everyone who knows what the score is will not be particularly impressed. A set of 330mm drilled discs crammed under the wheels with 6 pot calipers and slick shot wheels will look a lot cooler, IMHO

or you could just get of those crappy shark tooth things, look nice though, what with the rather large unswept area going rusty :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: