Sign in to follow this  
G60 Bob

It's still too hot!

Been reading lots of overheating posts as i have the same problwm and think i have everything i need to sort it but just want to check.

Got a new thermostat but do i ned a fan switch aswell. The fan doesnt come on when the car is running and hot but it does come on when i stop the engine; is the switch OK? Is it just that the stuck thermostat not letting the coolant flow so the fan wont come on while its running? The top hose is rock hard and very warm too.

So do i need a fan temp switch too?

Yep, sounds like the Thermoswitch (or wiring to it) - the afterrun is on a different circuit and is controlled by the relays up by the expansion tank.

I'd test it first by unplugging the switch and bridging the connectors...

the fan works on both speeds when bridged but i have changed the theroswitch and the fan is not coming on at all no matter how hot it gets and the over run fan now doesnt seem to be coming on either even though oil temps reached 120 when driving.

i didnt change the thermostat because the radiator gets hot all the way down (and i have hot air through the heaters) blue temp sensor has been replaced, coolant and oil levels are OK but oil temps are about 10 degrees higher than they were before i started having problems.

any ideas good Corrado people?

would the relay affect the fan running off both the thermoswitch and the over-run switch?

I took her for a good run last night and just plodding along normally both water and oil are fine but as soon as i come to a hill or accelerate hard at all the oil temp goes up (water is fine) and takes longer than it used to recover. With the car at a standstill oil temp fluctuates between 112 and 114; still no fan.

Is there anything else i can check?

if the fan works when you bridge the contacts on the connector which goes onto the fan switch, then it's GOT to be a fan switch problem...