Sign in to follow this  
vr6paul

Running Strips

Anyone know how easy it is to remove these from the sides of the C.

Seen a few like this and got me thinking.

Is there any painting (bodyshop work) etc involved or is it relatively straight forward?

Any suggestions please.

Cheers

Paul

I think that they are just glued on. I'm gonna remove mine before it goes into the bodyshop in the summer. Someone has posted about this before (can't remember who though) and I recall them saying that careful heating from a hir dryer will get them off. There will be a difference in paint beneath the strips as that bit of the car will never had sunlight shining on it to fade it away. Be prepared to t-cut like a madman or get it down the local bodyshop.

The C looks good with out hem but they are there for a reason, I would hate to think how may dents and paint chips you’ll each time you leave your C in a car park!! :x

I took mine off, the car looks cleaner and newer with them off IMO, mine looked like a slighlty different shade but its so low down on the car you would have to have an eye ball attached to the door to notice. I had my car completely re sprayed now so it doesnt matter.

Just have some good tar / glue remover and take your time, you will get angrey and just want to scrape it off with something sharpe wrapped around a cloth, but trust me, you slip and you have a nice sratch to then have to worry about.... TRUST ME!

When ever I park in a car park I take up 2 spaces so nobody can park either side of me, hence no door dings.

I had a mate once who owned an E36 M3 Cab in Techno Violet and it was on 18 crome rims, etc, it was a featured car and we went to Fleet service station nr the m3/ m25 and a 4 x 4 with a massive family just parked next to him and the children opened the doors on the rear, passenger side and the rear back doors and they all smacked the side of his car. He went so mad that he couldnt speak, I was just standing there thinking shall I call ambulance for either him or the kids!!

I removed mine buy heating the strips with a hair dryer (for like 20 minutes!) and then cutting the double sided adhesive strips with dental floss. They literally fall off if you do that. Once the strips are off, you can use some Evostik solvent (called glue remover) which breaks down the remaining glue and just rubs off. Don't worry, this stuff doesn't attack acrylic paint but if you think your car is painted with cellulose, don't use it.

Once the strips were off, I didn't like the look of it as it made the car look bare and vunerable and augments the panel gaps and looks untidy. So I colour coded my strips and reattached them which looks great whilst retaining the knock protection.

Beware though as paint sprayers use the side strips as a reference point for blow overs, so you may not like what you see when they're removed.

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6