Sign in to follow this  
rs200f40

20VT into a G60 Corrado again....

Hi,

Sorry to start another thread about 20VT conversions.

I've been trying to gather information about installing a 20VT engine into a G60 Corrado. What I'm concerned about is that it appears to be an easy conversion to do and I must be missing something.

Is there anyone who has done this conversion and can advise if I'm missing something really obvious, I've found the following.

Transmission - Use G60 Gearbox/flywheel/linkage/driveshafts - VR6 clutch?

Cooling - Use G60 radiator

Use engine mounts from G60 engine

Modify 20VT downpipe

Change throttle body for cable operated type

Keep G60 starting, charging and lighting circuits

Use G60 power steering pump with 20VT pulley. Or just use 20VT pump?

Use aftermarket ECU

Front mounted intercooler and boost pipes

Engine £1200?

DTA ECU. £800 or megasquirt £200?

Intercooler and piping £200

So basically the engine seems to bolt straight in with the existing transmission. Rig up a front mounted intercooler using the existing one or a larger used one. Not too many wiring nightmares as I'd just use an aftermarket ECU.

Is this really all the major work there is and the conversion could be done DIY for £2000ish rather than the £5000+ some companies are charging?

It can't be that easy can it?

Thanks

Alan.

id like to know more on this too.

id like to use stand alone too so i can map it myself.

anybody fancy give us the low down on whats needed to do this conversion using stand alone.

I've not really any advice about the conversion as such, but I'd say, as with anything, whatever you budget.....double it ;)

I agree with VR6, double it

you could use an emerald ecu with a vw enterprises plug and play loom, the emerald has a dubsport 20v t map in it on day1

you need to modify engine mounts too as the 1.8t mounts in a different position to a g60 or vr

you could use an emerald ecu with a vw enterprises plug and play loom, the emerald has a dubsport 20v t map in it on day1

you need to modify engine mounts too as the 1.8t mounts in a different position to a g60 or vr

yep double it :lol:

you can get the dta from stealth with a basic map on

we removed the electronic vvt on ours over a 100 quid for the mechanical one i think,

there will be pipe work and connectors that you will have to keep buying!

but it did only take 6 weeks which isnt so bad (weekends and evenings only)

Amy

just make sure it is the newer 20v ie aum is a good one agu or aeb for the big power the engine mounts from your g60 will fit on the 20v did with mine any way

alan

just make sure it is the newer 20v ie aum is a good one agu or aeb for the big power the engine mounts from your g60 will fit on the 20v did with mine any way

So I shouldn't need to buy or modify anything to get it mounted in the car with the transmission working, everything I need is already in the Corrado?

After that it's just a matter of plumbing and wiring to get it going?

think you'll find the mounts are the same...

just use the 20v box and change the drive shaft output for 100mm ones.

i ran the G60 radiator for a while but found it got a little bit hot to quickly so i changed this for the VR6 one.

just use the 20v power steering pump all you have to do is swap one of the fitting over from the G60 one.

and as most people have said the bugget never stays at what you set it at cos there are other cost that you never acount for like 20vee t said the are all sorts of nut bolts clips that all add up at the end of the day.

if you have the mechanical know how and can weld then yes you can save a shed load of money but remember it has to look good as well dont just chuck it all at the car like sime people do just to say theyve got a 20v turbo under the bonnet :wink: :D 8)

there's a thread about using Peugeot ECUs on the Club GTI forum... you can pick 'em up for about £20 with loom, wire 'em in and then get the "limp home" map remapped by someone like Wayne Schofield from Chipwizards for about £350 which will then give you a perfect map for your car, as well as OEM (all be it Peugeot!) reliablity... 8)

I agree with 20v turbo, I have had to fork out loads in 'extra' bits, like a new ignition amplifier and the boost pipes + samco hoses weren't cheap either. I know I have upgraded a few bits but never the less there are still hidden costs. Fans for example! x2 kenlow fans cost me the best part of £200 after del and VAT! so you have been warned..

But don't let us put you off as they are an awesome engine (so I am told by people who can driver theirs...lol)

Oh well, it's only money.

Anyone know a good place to find a decent engine, preferably a 225bhp TT version. I've had a look around for the last few hours but have only found 150bhp versions, mostly with high mileage.

Get a 150 bhp and IHI it .. makes sense in the long run

Are the 150bhp engines just as strong as the higher powered ones? If I put a IHI on would the engine internals need to be changed?

how much power you want most of the 20V will take 350 some of them with the bigger wrist pins will take up to 450 in stock form but i would not go more than 350 on stock engine the only dif betwean 225 ones and the 150 are comp is 9.3/1 were 150 180 are 9.5/1 and they use the k04 tubo not the k03 hope that helps

alan

how much power you want most of the 20V will take 350 some of them with the bigger wrist pins will take up to 450 in stock form but i would not go more than 350 on stock engine the only dif betwean 225 ones and the 150 are comp is 9.3/1 were 150 180 are 9.5/1 and they use the k04 tubo not the k03 hope that helps

alan

Thanks for the info. To be honest 280-300bhp would be about as much as I'm looking for, this is supposed to be my sensible daily driver, I've got a Westfield for fun :-)

Looks like a 150hp engine will be fine then, with a bigger turbo.

Thanks

Alan.

just use the 20v box and change the drive shaft output for 100mm ones.

I take it I can use the ones from the G60 gearbox and they are a direct replacement for the 20V ones? Would I still use the same driveshafts?

Thanks

Alan.

no they arnt the same allthough they look exactly the same, the 20v ones have a long allen bolt down the middle and the g60 ones have a snap ring on them,there not cheap either (£60-£70 )but in my oppinion there beter than useing the g60 box which has sh*te gear ratio's.

i'll see if i can find my invoice out and give you the correct part number cos there is about 10 different ones 8) and the stealers dont have a clue.

no they arnt the same allthough they look exactly the same, the 20v ones have a long allen bolt down the middle and the g60 ones have a snap ring on them,there not cheap either (£60-£70 )but in my oppinion there beter than useing the g60 box which has sh*te gear ratio's.

i'll see if i can find my invoice out and give you the correct part number cos there is about 10 different ones 8) and the stealers dont have a clue.

I think I've found the right ones from a 2002 Beetle, think it's either a 2.0L or a TDI that they come from.

Part number is 02A-409-355-D

Does that sound right?

I just want to say good luck

Thanks, I'm sure I'll need it.

I've sourced an engine now so just need to find an ECU and some other bits to get started :-)

Out of interest how much did you get the engine for?

As I've been on the lookout for one and so far am looking at a 225bhp one, low mileage at £1450. Seen others cheaper but missing the loom/ecu.