Sign in to follow this  
rmn

VR6 engines

Not strictly corrado i know, but can anyone tell me if thee is much of a difference between a sharan vr6 engine and a golf/ corrado

i know they are 2.8 where the corrado is 2.9, but i mean physical differences, i am planning on fitting one into my 2 door jetta as a run around

Thanks

same as the mk3 golf VR6 I think, 174 hp, sounds good and thats about all I know. I think they are the same block but the Corrado one is bored out? I'm sure I'll be corrected

thanks, i had thought that kev

the physical engine should be the same

the corrado was the overbore of the 2.8 engine wasnt it?

Yeah the 2.9 is an overbore of the 2.8, otherwise identical internally.

RE the detuned VR6 for the Galaxy/Sharan (probably the early ones) if the drop in power is that much, bargain on either a very restrictive inlet system (to speed up gasflow) or a drop in Compression ratio.

its an AMY engine from a 00 (i think Sharan), i have yet to see it, but i rekon its a different inlet manifold as it wasnt readily identifiable by the guy who got it for me as a vr6.

if the compression is lower i think i might have a different way of going with the car :)

anyone know where i might get specs for one of these engines?

if the compression is lower i think i might have a different way of going with the car :)

Now that's a plan! Could be a sudden demand for AMYs (if they are indeed a lower CR) if your plan works :wink:

Dunno about the finding info on the specs. Did America get the Sharan etc? The Vortex 12V VR6 forum might be a good place to look?

yeah there are lots of europeans on there too, so its worth a shot, must try and remember my password for there.....

wasn't the 2.4 the V5 engine? I didn't think that Ford had a compact V6 engine like VWs VR6... :|

Yes, there was a V5 engine, 2.4 litres, based on the same VR6 block (but shorter). They used (use) it in the Golf too.

2.3 V5 - think early ones were 150bhp and late ones 170bhp iirc?..

True, I think the 170s are 4 valve too.

Gavin

Now that's a plan! Could be a sudden demand for AMYs (if they are indeed a lower CR) if your plan works :wink:

Dunno about the finding info on the specs. Did America get the Sharan etc? The Vortex 12V VR6 forum might be a good place to look?

No, we didn't get the Sharan here in the states. We only have the Eurovan (Transporter).

I seem to remember someone from the forum mentioned that the VR6 was also fitted to a Merc van, don't know the capacity or state of tune. Anyone know anything else about it? Must be pretty rapid for a van.

I seem to remember someone from the forum mentioned that the VR6 was also fitted to a Merc van, don't know the capacity or state of tune. Anyone know anything else about it? Must be pretty rapid for a van.

The aptly named 'Sprinter'