Sign in to follow this  
ANDY16V

WING MIRRORS

My wing mirrors need replacing so i decided to phone the dealers and they gave me a price of 45.00 quid for the left mirror and 35.00 quid for the right one. im thinkin this is a bit on the expensive side and is this the only way forward or could i go down the scrap yard and find a vw with the same size mirror glass? cheers in advance!

Welcome to the forum...

They are Corrado only as far as VW's go (but the same mirrors are also fitted to a few TVR's and the Mclaren F1)

That price is right as they are the heated sort, chances of finding good ones in a scrappy are slim as as they are heated, they eventually corrode around the edges...

Other options are getting generic mirror glass and cutting them to size and sticking on, also someone mentions that there is a BMW model with a similar shape available from Halfords....

Welcome to the forum...

Other options are getting generic mirror glass and cutting them to size and sticking on, also someone mentions that there is a BMW model with a similar shape available from Halfords....

where can you get generic mirror glass from, and how do you then cut it to shape, ie curved? desperate to change the glass in mine, the magnification and blindspots are awful :-(

ANDY16V, I think you clicked the 'new topic' button...

Many thanks.... i will investigate bmw option at halfords, one more thing does the mirror glass prize out easily? any pitfalls to avoid? thanks again

£45 for a left and £35 for a right????????

Thats a £100 less than I was quoted!!!

What! - Nah, he's got the right prices, I enquired a few months back... I did question why one side was cheaper than the other tho...

£45 for a left and £35 for a right????????

Thats a £100 less than I was quoted!!!

you not get quoted on the actual mirror housings?

Yes, I concur he is right with the prices. I changed mine a wee while ago and the real things ain't cheap. But if you want heated mirrors you gotta pay the money.

Did all Corrados have heated mirrors? Are they on the same switch as the heated rear screen or something? Mine don't look heated, but the righthand one has certainly corroded as supercharged describes...

Did all Corrados have heated mirrors? Are they on the same switch as the heated rear screen or something?

Yes and Yes, there are 2 types of glass available tho... Flat and Convex

WENTN TO HALFORD THE OTHER DAY TO ENQUIRE ABOUT THE BMW MIRROR GLASS TO SEE IF IT WAS I SIMILIAR MATCH AND DISCOVERED TO MY AMAZEMENT THAT THEY HAD A MASSIVE SELECTION COMPLETE WITH A INDEX LISTING HUNDREDS OF CARS WITH ALL THEIR REF NO'S FOR RELEVANT MIRROR GLASS . CORRADO MIRROR GLASS REPLACEMENT WAS IN THERE AND I'VE ORDERED BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT.. 6.49 EACH. NOW IM NOT SURE WHETHER THEY ARE A DIRECT REPLACEMENT OR THE STICK OVER EXISTING, HOWEVER IT IS DEFINETLY GLASS AND NOT FILM. I'LL LET EVERYBODY KNOW HOW I GET ON ....FINGERS CROSSED

Cool, let us know -I tried to order from there a while ago but the glass wasn't listed in there normal selection and my mate who worked there had to ring somewhere for a price but never managed to get one...

I ve got mirror glasses before made by Pearl products for a fiver each I got them from the motor factors I used to work at but most motor factors should be able to get them

It appears to be a new range, with the remains of old stock lurking on the side, i could be wrong.... im a bit dubious of the quality tho, any hoo we'll have to wait and see

cheers

Yes and Yes, there are 2 types of glass available tho... Flat and Convex

Is that from the stealership? I'm desparate to change my mirrors for something that actually shows something useful.

Is that from the stealership? I'm desparate to change my mirrors for something that actually shows something useful.

Yup, expensive tho (see page 1)

OK next question, Supercharged, when you say flat and convex are available, does that mean that either type is available for either side? Or do you mean the passenger side is one type and drivers side another type. Sorry to go on but the mirrors are the one thing about the Corrado that I can't get used to, definately need changing!

Got the wing mirror glass through from Halfords today the order numbers are: left hand side SRG -247, right hand side SRG-246 and they are made by SUMMIT. they basically fit over existing with a sticky pad and for 6.49 each it cant be bad :)