Sign in to follow this  
Gareth

Mk 4 calipers

ive used the search and almost worked out what parts i need but i phoned GSF today and they can supply the calipers but the people i spoke 2 had no idea what flex hose is required.

and the calipers are on an exchange and because i havent got a set of Mk4 calipers to send back i wont get the surcharge back thus pushing upto around £85 each, On UCP website is a genuine caliper 4 around that price. prices before VAT. (this is just the piston housings alone)

i also looked on C&R's site but there site says Mk3 Caliper kits.

so are the flexy's custom made? or from another car? ive read that they are custom made but i just wanted to check.

i'd like 2 fit genuine calipers, if i can buy the flexy's on there own!

where can i buy the the flexy hoses?

and 1 more thing :? can i use the Mk4 carrier or must i use the corrado carrier's :)

all help is gratefully recived :)

You can get the braided hoses with banjo fitting specifically for fitting the MKIV rear callipers. Same kit as for MK2 Golf AFAIK Cand R sell them amongst others.

Speak to C&R, they do the mk2-mk4 conversion hoses and the calipers

I bought mine at Inters last year and the cost was £121 in total!!

£50 for each caliper (no exchange) and £21 for the Goodridge hoses

Obviously those prices were for the show but I don't think they ask for the old ones back as no one wants the older style calipers any more...

I got a set inc hoses from C&R via mail order and it was £200 all in for the lot.

I'll be selling them soon, so if you're not in a hurry they'll be cheaper than getting new ones (they're only a couple of months old anyway)

Dinkus, them sets you have, will they fit straight onto a 2L 16v 1992, or does it need different hoses etc?

The hoses are the aforementioned Goodridge braided adapter hoses and are the same for all Cs, so they should just fit straight on.

The hoses are the aforementioned Goodridge braided adapter hoses and are the same for all Cs, so they should just fit straight on.

Please add a price :lol:

Please add a price :lol:

As I don't actually have the vehicle for breaking at the moment, I am just logging interest, rather than selling the parts.

A complete price list along with pictures, where possible, will be placed in the 'Parts For Sale' forum when they are available.

Apologies for any infringement of the forum rules, Mr. Super Mod. Sir. ;) :lol:

is the improvement in rear braking big? the std rears are awful! my handbrake is pitiful! also the handbrake cable do you use the corrado item?

is the improvement in rear braking big? the std rears are awful! my handbrake is pitiful! also the handbrake cable do you use the corrado item?

It won't really improve if your rears are working but maybe they aren't? - If you've only owned the car a year or so they may have never worked!

It will make the handbrake alot better, there's an improved mechanism using the existing cables

It will make the handbrake alot better, there's an improved mechanism using the existing cables

Don't rely on it too much though.

My car managed to roll itself off the drive and into the middle of the road when I thought it was well-on on the handbrake! :oops:

Phone call from my neighbour "Dude, is you car supposed to be in the middle of the road?"

I was only jesting bud :)

:lol: I know :) I should have attached the doctor's sig to the bottom ;)

Don't rely on it too much though.

My car managed to roll itself off the drive and into the middle of the road when I thought it was well-on on the handbrake! :oops:

Phone call from my neighbour "Dude, is you car supposed to be in the middle of the road?"

It transformed mine, with the Mk4 calipers the handle would come up maybe 2" tops and be seriously well on. Kev even tried to push it down a hill with just the handbrake on and couldn't budge it :D

I think I just got used to mine always being 2-notches being well-on. It's lengthened a bit in the cold weather, so you need 3 really, or 4 if you want it very tight indeed.

I found that with the MKIV calipers on the rear I could finally pull a good handbrake turn, where as with the original (MKII) ones, it'd just make the rear suspension dip slightly... :|

Yep agreed with comments so far on MK4 calipers. They actually work and overall braking is improved, not just the handbrake. Pedal feels a lot better too.

Thanx every1 and thanx dinkus for the thought.... anyway i sorced and purchased 2 calipers and the flexy hoses. i'll let u all know when i get them fitted. it would be nice if i had new guide pins as im not sure what condition mine are in but ive been informed that i would have 2 buy new carriers as they come with the pins.

apart from making sure i use copper slip on the back of pads and also on the new studs i bought, any tips for durring fitting (like is there a torque for the banjo stud?) or just VT or maybe VFT?

anyway any comments welcome :)

and mk3 98 model gti rear pads are the ones to have? how about make of pads pagids? dont really want to sand down pads as im bound to sand the at an angle!

Standard C pads will fit, but yup, the Mk3 GTI ones are the best fit.

Pagid FR pads work very nicely with the standard VAG steel too...