Sign in to follow this  
TomB

A Thousand Curses

While this is a 'problem' there's nothing I can do to fix it, hence I'm posting in 'General,' but mods feel free to move.

Something went horribly wrong with the 'rado today when I put my foot down. To keep a long story short, the RAC came out and I've just been towed home, but when performing a compression check to see what was wrong, there's no compression in one of my cylinders (RHS when viewed from the front). Can anyone suggest what this might be and how much it's going to cost me when I take it to the garage next week?

Could I be talking about a new engine here?

Cheers,

Tom

Well as it appears to be Engine related ... or thereabouts, I'll move it accordingly :)

More details? Did you lose coolant? Did you hear an enormous bang? Did the engine stop dead or just lose power? Was there oil on the spark plug that was removed to do the compression check? What colour is the oil in the sump? (Is there oil in the sump at all??)

So many questions....

Sorry, I was too annoyed to type straight last night...

As I reached a 60 limit, I dropped into third and put my foot down, and she was accelerating as normal until about 3.5K revs, when the engine got louder as if I'd just blown a chunk out of my exhaust. The sound really reminded me of a Harley, but there was no loud bang when it happened. I changed up and reached 5th as normal, and while I was maintaining speed, acceleration was very slow. When I had to change down to come to a halt, the revs rose as normal.

When I pulled off from the lights, I was accelerating, but there was just a massive loss of power (like being back in my old 950cc 205). I limped to the VW dealership about 500 yards down the road and called the RAC as no-one was available to look at it.

There was oil on the plug that was removed I think, and yes there is oil in the sump. There's been no coolant lost, and the engine still runs, but it sounds very loud and unhappy.

The car had a new head on it in 2003, could this be anything to do with it?

Apologies for sounding like a complete numpty, but when it comes to car mechanicals, I am.

Cheers,

Tom

Cheers Pablo. If that's the case, how difficult was it to sort out? Just dreading the garage bill...

mate its just one possibility. i had to get the head off, new valves (10 of em) and head skimmed etc. luckily the pistons were ok.

was caused by the timing belt heading south and cost me abot £600 mates rates.

but as i say its only one possibility. may be a few things :(

One thing I remembered is that the RAC chap said that it could be the bottom end. Any more thoughts anyone...and any idea if there's a 'Car Maintenance for Dummys' book out there or similar :-). I really need to learn more about how modern cars work...

Cheers,

Tom

Well I spoke to the garage this afternoon, and apparently the camshaft is damaged, and the hydraulic tappet (?) above the cylinder destroyed. The head's coming off to fix it, and see if there's any more damage. While the head's off, I going to get the timing belt done. Can anyone suggest anything else that it would be beneficial to do while the head's off?

Cheers,

Tom

mistrall, that's been done, and the replacement will be like for like. G60Dub, what sort of work is involved in that? Bearing in mind that all work is being carried out by the garage...

if it's damaged a tappet, and the camshaft you WILL need at least one new valve... :|

Make sure they use a NEW cambelt tensioner when they do the belt...

Another chance to sell an odd valve????

Tom, I have a spare set of valves for a 16V in my garage. I also have an inlet can from a KR if you need it. Lastly I have a KR head with a couple of bent valves. There appears to be no other damage, which was why I bought the set of valves. I just haven't had time to build it back up.

All will be cheap and as I am from York might be able to deliver on a visit to my mums?

Gavin

h100vw, you are a lifesaver. I had a call from the garage about an hour ago to tell me that the head has been damaged, and is scrap. I asked them to give me a weekend to try and find a replacement! How much are you looking for for the valves and the head? Could you drop me an email at mailto:[email protected] or PM me as soon as possible? I'll be prepared to travel to pick up parts or pay postage as I'm looking to get it back on the road asap...

Much appreciated,

Tom

P.S If you have an exhaust cam lying about as well, I'll take it :-)

mistrall, that's been done, and the replacement will be like for like. G60Dub, what sort of work is involved in that? Bearing in mind that all work is being carried out by the garage...

Argh local garage probably not the best place to say something like that... TSR sell ported heads/exchange basis? As for output not to sure, depends on the stage you have..

check http://www.tsr-performance.com maybe able to give ideas on price etc!

Well thanks to H100VW, I now have a new head, G60Dub, the porting's out, but will polishing add anything? If so, how easy is it to do yourself? What sort of things would I need?

Cheers,

Tom