Sign in to follow this  
billinjah

strut top mount fitting

does anyone know where its gone if not does anyone know if i need spring compressors im just changing the rubber piece with the bearing init not the spring plate as ive got coilovers iirc there is a nunt that holds the spring cap on so i shouldnt need compressors.

As far as I can tell, the bearing and mount assembly is all head together with some special nut/sleeve and when you take it off the spring/shoch comes apart. So yes a spring compressor is necessary. I may be wrong as I've only looked at it, but I will be doing it tomorrow morning.

Upgrading to VR6 upper strut mount and bearing.

If you have coilovers - you won't need a spring compressor.

There is a "tube" nut which holds the top mount to the strut assy. It can be removed with a hammer & screwdriver but it's preferable to use the right tools (which I have).

Bring the new top mounts to MK on Sunday & I'll change them for you :wink:

Bring the new top mounts to MK on Sunday & I'll change them for you

cheers for the offer steve wish id read that first i started today but one of the tube nuts was knackered i took ages to get it off! :mad: now i cant get one till monday doh! what does the proper tool look like? as i dont want to bodge it on like the previous owner! it looked like hed put it on with his teeth!

Sounds like he's used the hammer & screwdriver approach.

GS&F sell the correct tool & your local branch should have them in stock. From memory, they're around £7 & come as a pack of 3 different sizes.

How knackered is the tube nut that you have ?

If necessary - I can fetch a tube nut from my car & lend you the tool to tighten it with. You'll need to send me another tube nut & the tool back in the post though.

the thread is shot it should screw on easily but i think there was some debris stuck in there from when he hit it with a hammer to get it on! i saved the threads on the shaft with a chase. oh well its a trip to gsf on monday thats a good price for a special tool i take it you do the tube nuts too?

Place I buy parts from usually sells the tube nuts when they sell new mounts, what a dumb design.

I pulled mine off this morning and once the prings were compressed they came off with my fingers. Put the new VR6 ones in and it feels much much nicer. Too bad I found that my drivers side shock is completely blown and needs to be replaced so I get to pull it all apart again soon. That and I need to get an alignment done sooner than later.