Sign in to follow this  
Rawhide

VR6 Newbie - a few problems with my new purchase

Hello, VR6 newbie here so please scuse my ignorance! I've posted this on the yahoo group but would appreciate any advice you guys can give..

I've now put 130 miles on my '92 VR6 and am getting to know it a little better. However I have noticed what feels like a slight missfire at low revs. Whe pulling away gently or blipping the throttle at idle it feels like its missing a beat. Its fine at higher revs and still makes plenty of power and I managed to get a run at 32 mpg so I don't expect its anything serious. The car has not seen much use for a while (been in storage) so I have put some injector cleaner in the fuel in case its a blocked injector. I have checked the leads and they look ok so I was planning on getting some new plug and popping them in. Do I need any special tools for this?

I have also noticed a distinct whine coming from the engine. Its not loud but it is related to engine speed. I am guessing it a pump of some kind but don't know where to start. I don't think its the water pump as this was changed approx 20k ago by VW. Any ideas?

Finally I had a good look at the broken sunroof and the motor seems ok but the sunroof pulls out of line so I am guessing its the 'cable' that has gone.. Can this be ordered direct from VW or will they only sell me the whole unit. I will keep trying breakers in the meantime. I have found the handle to manually wind the roof closed but I can't get the panel to drop the last 1cm to make it tight. Do I just have to live with this or am I missing something. Not a huge inconvenience but above 80 it makes quite a noise...

Thanks in advance for any reponses!

Neil

As your car is a '92 I take it it has a distributor and not a coil pack? Reason I ask is that coil packs have a tendency to crack causing misfires.

Most likely thing I would say is plugs or leads, you say the leads look ok, how did you check them? The heat of the vr6 kills leads so if they have been on the car a few years I would say thats probably where your problem is.

For the sunroof I think theres a repair kit available but I dont know what parts are included, there are other threads on this though if you have a look about.

Just thought I would also mention, theres a special tool for removing the plug leads, it should be clipped to the bonnet stay. If its not there then the leads may have just been pulled out in the past causing damage.

Hi there

Welcome to the Corrado forum (CF) I drive a VR so the problems you have sounds like the car needs new plugs and rotor arm and dizzy cap and you may as well puts some new leads on. If the car was in storage for a while it would be nice to give it a good treat and im sure it wont miss fire.

My car missed a beat and it was due to a doggy lead and plug but the car drove fine when it was higher in the revs. You may find that you have particular problems on the first plug IE dirt etc especially as the car has been left, the oil may have seeped in and it just need a good service and a blast to clear the car out. I did that and mine is so much better, it will feel lkike a different car!

The whine could be the power steering belt / pump, the belt could be too tight or the pump is struggling, without out seeing the car I wouldnt know, check the level of power steering fluid which is just up from the battery.

The sunroof you can have fixed, I dont know if your handy with mechanical stuff, but I fixed mine, I took the roof lining out and removed the sunroof and purchase the new cable from VW, it has attached the part that attaches as the sliding mechanism, it wasnt that expensive, I think it was around 25 pounds or something like that. Its easy to get the sunroof out / in, it just looks complicated to do but providing you know where the new part goes and how to attach it then its fairly straight forward. My local VW /Audi fgarage tried to charge me £300 to fix it which is why I got my mate who is an engineer to do it for a beer!!

You can sort your roof out as a tempory basis, if you get into the car, use a metal thing strong object and see where the runner is, just drag the tunner with your tool to try and shut the roof a bit more and leave yourself enough space to be able to get your tool out, it no use trying to push the roof down / closed!

I hope my suggestions help and if you have any worries let me know. When other people reply if there ideas are the same then Im sure you are onto a winner.

Thanks - I must admit it only pulled the lead slightly off but they didn't feel like they had seized (corrosion) and didn't feel brittle. I assumed it was the plugs as I read through the service history and can find no reference to replacing the plugs. I know that the plugs are long life ones but the car has done 69k miles so I would have thought they would need doing soon.

Do you need special tools for removing the plugs as well?

Just a normal plug-removal-tool and an extension bar is fine.

I got the HT lead set from http://www.eurocarparts.com - good quality and value if you just want normal leads. You can get better - but depends if you want to spend £50 or £150 ;)

Thanks for the info Rams! I will definately not be using VW for the sunroof. It might just be my local dealership but they had a very 'snooty' manner and refused to even glance at my car until I had given them £45 + VAT and quoted £700+ for a new sunroof.. Yes - I know they are running a business but their attitude was a bit off..

Good to know that I can just replace the cable. I think this is all that has gone. Did a bit of exploring and I can see all the mechanism and think I can do all the sunroof work myself. Not yet taken out the roof lining but I'm sure when I do this all will become clear!

No worries mate, my car is a 93 so they are practically the same. The headlining needs to be slid out of the car through the tail gate, keep it flat, try and get someone inside the car to push up and help you guide it back. There is an allen key that you can wind the roof mechanically and when you have got the roof out and fixed the part use the tool to make sure it all works ie opens and closes as the last thing you want to do put it all back together for it not to work.

My sunroof still doesnt slide, I meed this bit next, when I bought the car rthe roof only tilted then that broke and I have fixed that part so my roof tilts fine now just want to get the sliding part done as its nice to get the roof back on a nice warm evening! I love cabriolets, so its the closest I can get to!

The spark plugs - use some long nose pliars to put the leads on and off, make sure they are tight on the plug, remember even new plugs can be faulty!

It might just be my local dealership but they had a very 'snooty' manner and refused to even glance at my car until I had given them £45 + VAT and quoted £700+ for a new sunroof.. Yes - I know they are running a business but their attitude was a bit off..

Welcome to the wonderful world of VW Stealers... :| The majority of them are the same.. they'd rather see you pootling around in a nice new Golf than an 8 or so year old Corrado (despite the Corrado being waaaay more desirable imho).

My dealer is really good, there is one older guy that is a bit of a wet fish but I have started to build up a repore with a yonger chap that likes c's and he said that he recognised my voice on the fone as Im always getting bits.

I had a problem with my sunroof - still do actually and he said pop it down and I can have a look and tell you what the problem is and find you the correct part.

I agree with what you said though mate, but they arent all bad. Thats a fair point I think. I am just waiting for the day that I go to pay and he knocks some money off...... pigs might fly! We should do a massive raid in Germany for all the corrado parts joke! I will hopefully have a dream tonight about pulling off the job!!

How about this.... Drive through the doors with a massive lorry and say, '' OK I DONT WANT ANY HEROS, BUT JUST PUT ALL THE CORRADO PARTS IN THE TRUCK AND NOBODY GETS HURT'', i think the sun is getting to me!! Just ignore me.Im board at work!!

The whine could be the power steering belt / pump, the belt could be too tight or the pump is struggling, without out seeing the car I wouldnt know, check the level of power steering fluid which is just up from the battery.

Sorry dude, the VR has a belt tensioner that applies the correct tension by it's own springs, so therefore impossible to have the belt running too tight.

The distant whine is common on the VR engine, you do have to listen for it though. It's really quite on mine and not always noticeable. Could be alternator bearings or something.

The sunroof you can have fixed, I dont know if your handy with mechanical stuff, but I fixed mine, I took the roof lining out and removed the sunroof and purchase the new cable from VW, it has attached the part that attaches as the sliding mechanism, it wasnt that expensive, I think it was around 25 pounds or something like that. Its easy to get the sunroof out / in, it just looks complicated.

The part you need has been replaced by a generic 95-97 Passat & Corrado 'Repair Kit'. It's £46+VAT. This consists of a new cable with guides (the bits that snap).

The best thing to do, if you can find one, is fit the complete assembly from a 95-97 Passat, providing you can live with a glass roof.

To check your HT Leads, get a multimeter (Halfords sell them) and check each lead is around 6KOhms. If they are, then the leads are fine. Worn plugs tend to affect the whole rev-range, so you may have 1 or more sensors out. G28 engine speed sensor is a common one, the Cam position sensor is another and the 02 sensor is yet another! I doubt you have a defective O2 sensor but to check it, prod your multimeter probe into the far right wire (white) of the plug that's on the rear engine mount. Put the other probe to ground and with the engine running (when hot), the O2 multimeter voltage (DC) should fluctuate rapidly between 0.1 and 1 volt. If it stays at a constant voltage, usually 0.4, it's dead.

Kev

94 VR6

[

The part you need has been replaced by a generic 95-97 Passat & Corrado 'Repair Kit'. It's £46+VAT. This consists of a new cable with guides (the bits that snap).

The best thing to do, if you can find one, is fit the complete assembly from a 95-97 Passat, providing you can live with a glass roof.

Kev

94 VR6

Thanks Kev - great info. I have managed to source a LHS cable and guide for a corrado. I was a bit shocked to find it only does the LHS and if you want the RHS its another £46 + the dreaded! I'll pick it up on saturday and try and fit it.

Just one final question - if I was to get a whole assembly from a Passat can you remove the roof panel from the rails and mechanism. I would rather keep the colour coded roof as I'm not keen on a glass roof.

Thanks Kev - great info. I have managed to source a LHS cable and guide for a corrado. I was a bit shocked to find it only does the LHS and if you want the RHS its another £46 + the dreaded! I'll pick it up on saturday and try and fit it..

Let me know how you get on with that as mine still needs doing, haven't found the time! Mine has gone in exactly the same place yours has. The Corrado repair kits used to be £23 per side! VW are stitching us up again.

Just one final question - if I was to get a whole assembly from a Passat can you remove the roof panel from the rails and mechanism. I would rather keep the colour coded roof as I'm not keen on a glass roof.

Not sure on that but I don't see why not. See how you get on with the cables!

Kev

94 VR6

Yep.

Your original roof panel will fit in a passat glass roof, but the interior trim won't.

In the event that you find a Passat with a steel roof, the panels are identical

I rang the dealer today about this sunroof repair kit and the £46 'repair kit' appears to include both guides and cables. Although the system shows left and right guides/cables, when he went to order both, it said all previous parts have been superceded and only one kit is available, so it MUST include both sides. I'll find out on Saturday as I've ordered the kit.

Cheers

Kev

I rang the dealer today about this sunroof repair kit and the £46 'repair kit' appears to include both guides and cables. Although the system shows left and right guides/cables, when he went to order both, it said all previous parts have been superceded and only one kit is available, so it MUST include both sides. I'll find out on Saturday as I've ordered the kit.

Cheers

Kev

Kev - any chance you could let me know which dealer you got this from. I phoned the one in Battersea London and the guy didn't seem to know his ass from his elbow. He did mumble something about superceded but he said it was just the left cable. PM me the details if you want to keep it off list. I'm sure your right on this though!

Thanks!

Basically, the part number starts with 1H and ends in 14A, can't remember the exact number but I've got it written down at work.

1Hxxxx15A and 1Hxxxx16A have both been superceded with 14A, that's all you can get now. If that turns out to be one side (dealer thinks it's the driver's side) only, then I'm not paying for it as it's no use to me, I need the passenger side. I'm hoping this 14A part will include both sides as it's pretty stupid to sell only one side. It's hopeful as 15A and 16A were £23 each, so summing the two together as a 'repair kit' at £47.03+VAT seems logical. I'll post the result on Saturday but the dealer is Wolsey in Ipswich, on 01473 240800 if you need to speak to them.

Cheers

Kev

Cheers dude.. I'll phone the monkeys in Battersea again and see what they've got. They said they had 'it' in stock so I shall pop down on saturday and see what 'it' is :)