Sign in to follow this  
Riley

self servicing g60.

alright guys n gals :wink:

im wanting to replace a few bits on the raddo,if anyone could give any specific info on the following,that would be great. :D

1/spark plugs-what make and number do i need as an original replacement.

2/dizzy cap/rotor arm and leads-are the gsf ones ok if they do them? or how much from vw?

3/oil-what grade? was thinking quantum silver 10w/40's?

4/oil filter-gsf one ok?

5/fuel filter-again gsf?

6/air filter-would like to retain original paper type.

7/coolant/antifreeze-tis the blue stuff i need yeah?

8/is it worth renewing the power steering fluid?

9/lambda sensor-will be having a de-cat pipe soon,thought id replace this as a matter of course at the same time,unless your gonna scare me with the cost??? :oops:

10/all temp/fan switches etc...anything else?

sorry for the mahooooosive list,but im new to g60s/corrado's and always like to make sure everythings as it should be my self,have the use of a mates garage.

so any pointers etc appreciated.

neil. :D

1. Plugs std W6DPO or G40 W5DPO. Some folk like these in modded engines. Check ebay, plenty for £20 plus postage.

2. Dissy cap and rotor from GSF ok. I'd save the money on leads, no gain to be had if they are ok at the moment.

3. Quantum silver is the right stuff.

4. Most will recommend the proper G60 filter. I'll endorse that too. It has a big nut on the bottom so you can undo it with a spanner.

5. GSF ok for that.

6. ditto.

7. I can never remember so I'll let someone else pipe up on antifreeze.

8. PS fluid is not a service item except topping up. I'd leave it.

9. Just be really careful when take the cat off that you don't snag the wires. They can be pricey, not as bad as suffering the hideous fel consumption though.

10. Buy a blue temp sender to keep in the glovebox.

11. Unless your surnae is Branson, put some money away and fix it as it goes wrong.

12. Has the charger been rebuilt??

Gavin

7. Coolant / antifreeze - go to your friendly local stealer for some bottles of G12+ - make sure its G12+ and not G12 as if your Corrado is currently running with G11, it can make some nasty gel like crap that bungs up the coolant system! G12+ is a kind of pinky purple colour so you should know if you got the right stuff :)

check engine mounts for movement. if theres some check the harness wires on the o2 probe. proper wiring here is essential to proper running of the engine. if its looking poor id replace the probe too. AF gauge does wonders for indicating potential issues with the lambda system.

I can answer number 2 for you cause I am doing mine at the moment. My local VW dealer wanted £36 for Quantum leads (which I have been informed you should avoid like the plague, and after seeing the state the quantum ones mine got into I agree) but £100 for OE!! I just got a set from Bahn Brenner for about £70 including delivery. BARGIN

As for the dizzy cap and rotor arm local dealer charged just under £15 for both. They are cheaper at GSF but as I cant get to one so including delivery charge its about the same price.

I agree with H100vw, just got some spark plugs from ebay for £20. A guy on there seems to have a couple of sets always for sale. I got mine in a few days after paying.

Hope this helps

thanks a lot guys,much appreciated :!:

h100vw,the charger was rebuilt to stage 2 at jabbasport 10k miles ago...

seems to be pushing around 11psi,after the mfa type check. :)

do you mean go for an original vw oil filter h100vw?

cheers again people :D

neil.

Just a quick tip before you attempt to replace the fuel filter, soak the screw in Plus Gas for a day, its very likely that the screw is rusty and will round off and it will be better to replace it with a bolt.

I did mine on sunday and there is no way that screw would undo so i had to take the clip off which goes around the fuel filter and have held it on with cable ties untill the new clip comes through

thanks m8,am i right in thinking the fuel filter is under the rear drivers side sill/arch? well under the floorpan?

Yes it is, there a crosshead screw that is at the top of the filter is this cant be undone then the whole bracket can come off...2x 17mm nuts.

The clips on mine were non reuseable so if may be worth buying some jublee clips to prevent urself geting caught out.

thanks m8,am i right in thinking the fuel filter is under the rear drivers side sill/arch? well under the floorpan?

Yeah thats the one!!! 8)

My bolt that holds the clamp round the f/f was also very rusty so I just undid the 2x17mm nuts that hold the clamp onto the chassis and took it off and cut through the bolt which then came ouit in 2 parts, I then just got another m6 nut and bolt greased it up and bolted it back upto the chassis. Job done 8)