Sign in to follow this  
kebabman

Ebay OBD lead

Hi guys,

I have bought an OBD/OBD-II lead and a cheap lappy from ebay and I'm having no luck getting it to connect to my car. :(

Can anyone tell me if this has the right pin arrangement? On my car I appear to have all the pins on the plug, but also one additional one next to the pair at the top. VAG-COM just says "Error 3:Interface not ready" and the green LED isn't lighting up either. :?

IMG_0631-vi.jpg

IMG_0637-vi.jpg

The green LED should light as soon as you plug the interface into the car. If it doesn't, try another car (any recent-ish car will do), and if it still doesn't work it's the interface that's at fault, so send it back to ebay man!

The ECU is under the splash shield on the passenger hand side of the car in the scuttle area.

I can confirm that the pins ARE in the correct positions. I bought the same one off ebay about 2 weeks back and mine works sweet. It keeps telling me I have a ABS fault :mad:

Did you run the port test procedure on the software? Try that but I think the Green light should come on without hooking up the Lappy.

Ok got it working, the cable was a tight fit and felt like it was connected when in actual fact I hadn't pushed it on enough :oops:

Wonder what the extra pin on the car is for? :?

Anyway, I've got two fault codes....

00525 - Oxygen Sensor (G39) - 19-10 - Lower Limit - Intermittent.

00533 - Idle Regulation Adaption - 09-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

So I take it I need a new lambda and Idle regulation sensor (?) :(

The car seems to be running fine although I have had erratic idle, cured by an on/off, a couple of times in the last 6 months, just not recently.

kebabman, Is it a VR6??

You want to clear the codes then go for a run and see if they come up again, you may find that a new O2 sensor will also sort the Idle Adaption error (I was speaking to Vince from Stealth about that and he says that one is normally caused by other thing not working so best to change those first and then rescan)

Jimjam, If you do a search for "VAG OBD" it comes up with quite a few, but here's a link to the same one I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW

Supercharged, yep it's a VR6. I've cleared the codes so I'll give it a couple of days then re-read it. Once again thanks for the advice dude 8)

Is Idle Regulation done with a stepper motor?

p.s. If anyone around the Oxford/Witney area needs their fault codes read, drop me a PM :)

Don't think the ECU uses the lambda when it's idling, so I'm not convinced that they're going to be related.

Ahh so it's the ICV....which presumably has a stepper motor in it. I know these things all too well being an-ex pug man. :p

Saying that I've cleared the codes and done 80miles and they haven't come back yet, hopefully I'll be able to get away without spending any dosh for a bit longer :lol: