Sign in to follow this  
radodale

induction kit

i currently have a K&N induction kit but i want a bigger foam one to go with the supersprint xorst i am getting. i have had the pipercross from the r32 recomended.

anyone any advice as to if this is correct?

if not what do you recomend?

The filtration with PiperX is awful, stick with a decent cotton one like the K&N one you already have. The std airbox is probably better than an open kit anyway which sucks in hot air from the engine bay!

Get yourself some aluminium tubing, remove the carbon canister and re-locate your cone behind the front bumper. This will give you excellent COLD air flow.

Just bought a kit from Intake_power on US Ebay for £50 (including the K & N cone!). Arrived after about a week. The tube is a few cm's too short, but the seller is sending out a longer coupler, so should have it up and running in the next few days- IMHO this is by far the best route to take if you want an induction kit. Just got the cone on at the moment, and there is a slight power loss when the engine is warmed up. Sounds great though :twisted:

Here's mine.

BMC Carbon CDA.

I don't usually bother with induction kits as they normally do sweet FA, but with the Schrick and 268 cams, the engine benefits from this filter. It's a proven product and shown to liberate 7hp from a standard Golf VR6 on Stealth's rollers.

I don't usually bother with induction kits as they normally do sweet FA, but with the Schrick and 268 cams, the engine benefits from this filter. It's a proven product and shown to liberate 7hp from a standard Golf VR6 on Stealth's rollers.

Fair enough but i've also heard that you will loose 7hp by Blu-tacking a VR6 badge to a Shrick Manifold....

Another vote for the BMC CDA kit here... The sound it makes is spot on too, I found the other cone filters way too loud!!

Radodale - Don't see many vr's driving around Halifax :)

kevhaywire - Did you have to drill any holes to mount your CDA to the bodywork ?

The BMC CDA is a nice bit of kit- bit on the expensive side though. Apiro do one that's pretty much identical at half the cost...

Kev and Dan, what's the sound like with the BMC? Louder than stock?

Yeah, it isn't cheap but I think it was money well spent. Its quite a bit louder than stock but more subtle than a K&N (which stayed on the car for a couple of hours before my head hurt)

It gets much louder if you take off the cold air feed. Mines only goes about 15cms to behind the light, same as Kev's by the look of it.

I've been offerd a BMC from a mate for my VR but in two minds about fitting it. I've currently got a 57i and it sounds the business anyone run a bmc on their vr but WITHOUT the cold air feed??..............i wanna know if it will sound better then my 57i

kevhaywire - Did you have to drill any holes to mount your CDA to the bodywork ?

Nah, I just shaped the supplied bracket strip so that I could bolt one end to the carbon canister mount and the other to the filter. Took all of 10 minutes to fit :D

The noise it makes is superb! A nice muted growl when you floor it at low speeds which then turns into a strange, but cool, raspy noise at 4000rpm onwards. Neither tones are obtrusive, unlike the K&N 57i.... there's no way I could live with one of those.

bmc cda here, it sounds bloody geogeous ! doesnt sound chavvy just quality :-)

Certainly does! Totally addictive sound..... I've heard one before on CrazyMarcel's standard car (engine wise) and rated it. Mine's only been on since the weekend and I just had to go out at lunchtime and blast it to hear the noise!

It sounds even better with a schrick VGI and 268 cams :D I can't believe how much stronger the engine feels in the bottom end and midrange with this filter.... a must have for VRs!

Nah, I just shaped the supplied bracket strip so that I could bolt one end to the carbon canister mount and the other to the filter. Took all of 10 minutes to fit

Ah, i see... I think i'll re-mount mine when I have some spare time :)