Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Beesting

Universal Lambda Probe (Again)

I know this has been discussed before and I have spent hours reading previous threads but I couldnt find any clear answer to what Universal lambda probe I need. I am 99% sure its the three wire one, just need confirmation for peace of mind before I make the trek.

I asked VW for one and they said they are on back order for next couple of weeks and I need it fixed ASAP. So its off to GSF for me tomorrow night after work.

So if anyone can help I would be real greatful. To those that are sick of seeing lambda posts...I apologise

:oops:

Get a genuine one or one from GSF that is terminated with a proper VW plug. Universal plugless ones are a pain in the butt. What car is it? VR6s use a 4 wire one, G60s use either a 3 or 4 wire one depending on year and valvers use a 3 wire one.

Sorry should have mentioned its a '91 G60 on a J plate. :oops:

I spoke to GSF and they said they dont have any genuine ones in stock just the universal type. I presume these are the plugless ones? I really dont like driving it when its over fuelling so my options are kinda limited!! :cry:

I've fitted 2 of these "universal" types. The sensors themselves are okay, so long as the wiring is properly soldered & not crimped.

My only reservation would be that your existing wiring plug may be quite worn. Check the condition of the plug, next to the OSR engine mount. If the plug's okay then you should be okay fitting a universal sensor. If the plug looks old & knackered - get the OE sensor that comes with a new one.

'91 G60 should be the 3 wire type. :wink: (2 white & 1 grey, from memory)