Sign in to follow this  
neillo_2000

If you had 4,000 pounds to spend....

Thought i'd get a few arguments going here between a few of you, i hope you don't come to blows, lol !!!

I am looking at buying a completely standard 1995 vr6 but the price i am gettin it for is a lot lower than i had expected to pay (lower cause i had budgeted for a storm i had seen with pretty low milage but have been advised against it after learning it had made best friends with a lamp-post and a wall in a previous life).

As i still have the money sitting there to spend on a car, i have wanted since i was knee high to a pigmy with short legs, i intend on spending the money improving the performance on the bad boy.

If you were to have 4 grand in your pocket and a completely standard car what would be the best way of spending it to attain the best performance. I have done a lot of research into it myself but have got told so many different things by so many differnt people my head is spinning! :roll:

Any info you could give me, preferably that won't make my head spin any faster than it already is, would be gratefully appreciated !!!

Would you also be able to give me names of stockists for the parts to??? i live in N.Ireland but am willing to travel for the best deals etc.

Thanks in anticipation !!!!

8)

joebrent :

looking at your car there mate, don't think i've ever seen Venom's lookin so good on a car, suit it a lot better than i would have imagined ! Wise words from you too chief, think first funds will be spent on full overhaul of engine, gettin all cleaned out and all hoses and all replaced and engine mounts too like you say. Would you be able to recommend any engine mounts? i've seen many dieefernt types mentioned on the forum but which would be the best for me pocket against the best for the wagon ?

dinkus:

lotta info there chief, cheers for your time!

firstly, why did you go for seperate springs and shocks over a coilover package? do the set that you mentioned work well together compared with a coilover set?

big breaks are a definate, if your gonna go you gotta stop plus with a big heavy engine like the one in the c stoppin power will have to be good ! ones you mentioned would be sweet!

Would prefer to go for the cams over the likes of a supercharger as wanna keep car normally asperated (causes less problems and less price in long run). I've been findin out a bit about the Shrick cams for to go along with the VGI. Cam wise, is there any other makes that could be recommended ?

godskitchen :

Can tell by your name you have a liking for the long nites out and the longer mornings in after, lol !! Cheers for your sudgestions but intend doing very little to interior of wagon as would prefer to spend funds on gettin it movin that bit quicker. You've noted some top notch gear there tho, you got your car stacked like that?

tafkadm

OOPS gotta go will write more later

H&R springs & Koni top adjustables ~ £800

All new engine mounts (VT front mount), suspension bushes and front wishbones ~ £275

Mk4 rear calipers and braided hoses ~ £200

288mm front brakes (from VR6 Golf) and braided hoses ~ £300?

Shrick VGI ~ £1100ish

Shrick 268 cams ~ £1000ish?

Plus err whatever's left for labour :D (prices are all fairly accurate, but I dunno how much you pay for 288mm brakes and the cams)

Edit: Oh and I'm gonna move this to general car chat...

Mini Mac in the glove box, with an 80Gb HDD, 7" coustom mounted touch screen TFT to go in the tape/voltage hole, i want this set up and i think i will be able to get it done for under a grand, be great to have 80Gb of music/video plus loads of options for the future like voice control of stuff!

Welcome to the Forumneillo_2000, good to see another member from Northern Ireland. Might be a good idea to hook up with MikeVR6 of the forum if you haven't already. He lives in Bangor and travelled across the water for his VR6. He could probably give you a few pointers.

Look forward to seeing your car when you get one.

Yo neillo. Nice to see someone else in Bangor has taste! :lol:

£4k hmmm....

Well firstly, set aside £600 for an "emergency fund" for those little unexpected things that let go. :)

Assuming you're buying a standard unmodified example.

1) Handling - £500 for springs/shocks, £6-700 for new wheels and tyres. May as well get all the suspension bushes and top mounts done while you're in there £150? plus couple of hundred labour.

2) Performance

- £350 for a miltek stainless system and de-cat.

- £160 for a Carbonio or BMC induction kit. (not much gain but sound sublime)

- Uprated discs and pads all round £210

- (instead of induction kit) VF Engineering Stage 2 Supercharger Kit with all the extras!

http://www.vf-engineering.com/vw_corrado.htm

Don't forget to budget around £250 for a FULL service and all fluids change as soon as you get it. Always worth it for piece of mind.

Give me a shout on 07867 536140 if you want to meet up.