Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

loud ticking sound? (fixed-open snifer pipe-lol)

Video doesnt download correctly i'm afraid..

But i'm going to guess that its the tappets that are noisy. Try uploading it again!

Don't work either mate! :(

Ah it does - you have to start a new browser, copy and paste that URL and then rename it to an AVI when its downloaded.

that sounds pretty nasty... :|

It's still difficult to tell from that video as the sound is distorted, but it sounds like your little end bearings (the ones in the piston end of the con-rod) have gone or something has gotten inside one of the cylinders like what happened to my engine...

As a cheap quick check, make sure that your spark plugs are all in tight and that they're all completely intact and haven't fallen apart... :| Otherwise, you need to get a proper mechanic to have a look at that... :?

That doesn't sound like tappets to me!! that sounds nasty I think Henny could be right with little end bearings it sounds like ity's firing on all four cylinders though so doubt it's a plug thats broken!!! I would get the oil pressure tested before you drive the car anywhere!!! :(

The little end bearings are on top of the conrod which has a gudgeon pin that goes through it to join the conrod to the piston. If it is them that are shot it's an engine out jobbie ( expensive and time consuming) and your best bet would be to source yourself another bottom as the KR bottom ends are very easy to get hold of and cheap.

Does your oil pressure warning light come on and the buzzer go off at all? When you switch the engine on does the oil warning light go out pretty quickly?

the oil light goes of straight away - there is no noise though...

it sounds louder in the video than in live but ity is still quite loud

is the exhaust manifold not cracked?

sounds weird :?

if it is the little ends and its a kr/9a lump then you can leave the engine in,take off the head,drop the sump and pop the pistons and con rods out.

good luck with it m8 :( :)

exaust manifold is cracked - and the little rubber thing on the exaustr testing pipe cas melted off so there is exaust gass comihng out of that

exaust manifold is cracked - and the little rubber thing on the exaustr testing pipe cas melted off so there is exaust gass comihng out of that

Get a new cap for the sniffer pipe and re-assess the noise. The one on my Passat had a hole in it and it sounded like the tappets were knackered.

Gavin

ok will try something out in a moment , it amases me how much trouble a car can be when you buy one that you fall in love with lol , (hooked on corrados ) lol

cheers

taped up the sniffer pipe and the noise has gone - wish i had thought of that lol thanks dude

if you want to clost the page thats cool lol

well the ticking has gone due to the snifer cap put on which is a releaf but i do have a few problems here and there and it would be good to know your only down the road - does he have a good rep with the rados?