Sign in to follow this  
billinjah

pulling to the right under power

my g60 pulls very slightly to the right under power ive changed the strut top mounts the all of the wishbone and rear beam bushes and ball joints. im thinking either the front engine mount or the steering rack mounts as sometimes i get a clonk from the front end when steering at low speeds oh and ive had a full laser alignment carried out car handles like a dream apart from this! any ideas? could it also be a steering rod end?

did you have it tracked on a full tank and with ballast for the driver on the seat! if not get it redone

Camber changes under load, tracking doesn't.

VW don't set tracking like that at the factory, so there's no need to do it now.

ha brake caliper yes i have found it sticks before good call steve good excuse for mk4 calipers that!! would a worn cv joint cause pulling? also which side would be worn to pull to the right?

billinjahg60, Power follows the course of least resistance. If the RH CV joint was very badly worn, this joint would be more difficult to turn & the car would pull to the right as more power would be fed to the LHF wheel.

why would the car pull to the right if the left had less resistance surely it would pull to the left if the rhs cv's were worn or is the beer already affecting my train of thought?! how many other forum members think about their cars when they've had a couple and cant work out what the fork is going on!

Diff unit feeds power to the wheel which is easiest to turn - this is the reason why cars get stuck in the snow. The wheel with less resistance gets more of the power.

Diff unit feeds power to the wheel which is easiest to turn - this is the reason why cars get stuck in the snow. The wheel with less resistance gets more of the power

yes so if the right hand cv was worn surely it would make that drive shaft harder to turn then the car would pull to the left? the left being easier to turn?

ive been driving around trying to figure where the prob is thing is if it were a worn cv i would think it would pull gradually to the right but this is very sudden lurch to the right then lurches back to the middle as soon as you let off the power.

not sure i used powerflex

i have noticed a clonk from the steering at any speed now doesnt do anything else just clonks! ill put it on the ramps tomorrow is there a way to check the track rod ends?

a bent wishbone can cause the pulling to one side,i reckon youd know if youve banged a wheel etc though? :?

unless its always done it?

neil.

Is the powerflex part number PFR85-207 for the bushes ?

Better be, otherwise i just ordered the wrong part :cry:

Anyone confirm this?

Have you check the bolts holding the wheel on, Had a strange clonk everytime i pulled away, turned out to be the wheel was loose :oops:

yeah checked wheel bolts new wheel bearings too i think it must be drive shaft related as its affected by power rather than steering related are gsf's cv joints any good or should i go vag?

yeah checked wheel bolts new wheel bearings too i think it must be drive shaft related as its affected by power rather than steering related are gsf's cv joints any good or should i go vag?
Fitted GSF ones to my G60 10k ago with no problems.

cool thats next weekends jobs then!
We don't list them for G60's, although we do stock them. I'll post our part numbers for all 4 joints on here tomorrow night.

G60 CV joints :-

LH Inner – 43937K - £34.50

RH Inner – 43938K - £34.50

Both Outer – 43892 - £34.00 each

All + vat

We stock 2 different qualities of these joints - only use the exact part numbers above

im going to do the rear calipers first as the handbrake doesnt work well at all the drivers side is seized solid then ill do the the cv's maybe if that doesnt solve it if its still doing it at the mk meet maybe you could have a drive steve see what you think?

Be sure to replace both rear calipers & not just the one that appears to be sticking. When 1 rear caliper goes, the other usually follows very closely behind.

I can have a look for you at the next MK meet, if it still pulls to one side.

I can have a look for you at the next MK meet
cheers mate yeah i brought two from mike edwards just getting the rest of the bits together dont suppose you have a part number for the gsf caliper windback tool and the mk3 pagid FR's?

You won't need a windback tool, if your fitting new calipers.

We keep the Pagid pads in stock but I have no idea what the part number is - I'll find out when I get to work tomorrow.