Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Which Coilovers?

I'd say that looks pretty much like mine is now. When I got my tape measure out yesterday, I worked out that by dropping it down by 40mm from what it is now, it would close the gap above the wheels by just over half.

I was told to be prepared for the possiblity that it may not make that much difference if your standard set up as sagged over 12 years or so?

Ok then, what drop have you guys and girls got on your C's? If 40mm might not be that noticable then what drop should I be looking for?

Old Volkswagen don't die, they just get lower............. :mrgreen: I doubt that a std cars suspension would sag by 30 mm, unless a spring broke.

I have removed std gear from tons of VWs in my time and none were the same after the new kit was fitted. Most of all my Corrado and that was the Weitec kit with the 'longest' springs.

With MK2 Golfs it tends to make a difference as 8v GTIs are taller than, 16vs which are jacked up compared to G60s.

A kit that drops an 8V 40mm would have hardly any affect on a G60 when you take into account the factory height.

If you are desperate for 40mm, you'll have to get coilovers.

Gavin

approx 80mm arch sits just above the tyre

That sounds like quite a drop! Is that what yours is dropped to?

I had originally been thinking that I could get away with 40mm as I was planning to change my front spoiler from a 90mm to a 50mm and was hoping that I shouldn't have any problems with grounding the car or anything (occasionally my front spoiler catches the road when there are dips and things).

Maybe I need to try and calculate how much my car might have sagged on it's original suspension and then work out where it will sit based on different lowering amounts.

Any other views would be most welcome.

If it helps, I've got a 2.0 16v. Does the standard ride height differ much between the different models of Corrado?

i'm running a 90mm front spoiler, there are some pics on page3 in my gallery (link below) of different ride heights i tried

Remember 80mm taken out of the ride height is also an 8cm reduction in suspension travel.....think carefully about this. Suspension should be done once, not two or three times because you hate the ride.

Go for H&Rs, they always drop VWs to the right level without sacrificing travel and therefore ride comfort/practicality.

Tbh, slammed Corrados are common....Corrados that sit 'just right' are becoming a rarity, as are the breed of people that suscribe to sensible drops it seems.

i'm running a 90mm front spoiler, there are some pics on page3 in my gallery (link below) of different ride heights i tried

Don't suppose you happen to know what your C was lowered by to achieve each of the three different heights do you?

Re: the 90mm spoiler - don't you have any problems with it grounding? Unfortunately (or fortunately) my C is my daily driver so it needs to still be semi-practical. Also can't decide whether to see if I can afford coilovers or just go for a fixed lowering kit. I don't really think I'm going to want to keep playing around with the height, but I don't want to go and buy a fixed lowering kit and then find I'm not happy with the ride height!

Remember 80mm taken out of the ride height is also an 8cm reduction in suspension travel.....think carefully about this. Suspension should be done once, not two or three times because you hate the ride.

Go for H&Rs, they always drop VWs to the right level without sacrificing travel and therefore ride comfort/practicality.

Tbh, slammed Corrados are common....Corrados that sit 'just right' are becoming a rarity, as are the breed of people that suscribe to sensible drops it seems.

So with H&Rs am I looking at coilovers or just springs and then another manufacturers shocks? And what mm are the H&R springs that you recommend?

my c is a daily driver , no mate just the usual slow down for sleeping policemen, otherwise the 90mm is no problem (i really dont like the 50mm)

i dont know the heights as i vernier from a point at the bottom of the shock to level them

kev i can see your point of view but you need to play about to get a happy medium between the appearance and ride comfort with coilovers

my c is a daily driver , no mate just the usual slow down for sleeping policemen, otherwise the 90mm is no problem (i really dont like the 50mm)

i dont know the heights as i vernier from a point at the bottom of the shock to level them

I imagine that North Wales isn't all that flat either - so that's quite reassuring if you don't have any real issues!

So with H&Rs am I looking at coilovers or just springs and then another manufacturers shocks? And what mm are the H&R springs that you recommend?

Just the springs. Best partnered with Koni TAs. I've yet to meet anyone that isn't happy with the ride comfort and reduction in height offered by the H&Rs, which is -35mm. These cars are for driving remember, not spending half your time on the road avoiding common obstacles.

Just the springs. Best partnered with Koni TAs. I've yet to meet anyone that isn't happy with the ride comfort and reduction in height offered by the H&Rs, which is -35mm. These cars are for driving remember, not spending half your time on the road avoiding common obstacles.

Thanks. Is 35mm significant enough so there isn't a huge gap anymore between the top of wheel and wheelarch? Do you have any pics showing your car with this drop so that I can see what sort of gap you are left with in the wheelarch?

Sorry to ask the question about the FK Highsport, I've just done a search and can see that quite a few of you recommend them so will strongly consider getting a set of them now.

Highsport are fine. Konigsports are worth the extra if you plan to regularly adjust the damping, but I'll bet most Konigsport owners never vary this. In fact there's little point doing so unless you are using the car in the track IMO.

35-40mm drop on Highsports gives good ride quality and handling. At least, I'm happy with mine. Serch for pics of my car in the gallery if you want to see how it looks. I still have to be careful with speedbumps: Dead slow speed is needed for a few of them round my way, so I wouldn't want to go lower.

Even if you never adjust the damping after fitting, the Konigsports still have the advantage of you being able to set the damping to the level that suits you instead of the Highsports which you can't alter from the factory.

i put fk's on mine and it's down about 50mm it feels much better than the old suspension and is still drivable for everyday use pretty chuffed with them really.