Sign in to follow this  
fla

Removing tint from rear lights

I've want to remove the dark blue tint from my rear lights to return them back to red (have been sprayed blue), with smoked indicators. Is this feasible to do or will this just ruin them? If it is possible, can anyone let me have a how-to? Failing that, I'll tint my regular lights.

you should be able to get the paint off with some elbow grease, a large cloth and some paint thinners...

Wear gloves though, and try not to inhale the fumes too much... ;)

Whoever tinted them in the first place should have rubbed them down first. So when you take the paint off they may be dull. I dont know if you can polish them back up. You'll probably find it best to best to rub them down again and re finish them. I like red with white reverse lamps and then lacquer the lot.. :-P

Who's is that car in the background with the ZW1s on it? He has good taste in wheels :D

Lights in the foreground were very well done...but I keep getting pulled over when they're that red.

Why doesn't a manufacturer such as FK etc make all red lights, surely there will be a decent amount of demand for them judging by the amount of cars with home sprayed jobs on the forum. I really want all reds, but I am not willing to break the law to have them on my car. Has anybody on this forum asked these aftermarket light manuf.? Sorry to deviate slightly from the thread...

All reds are tricky to make....next time you're around a modern peugeot, you'll notice the clusters are some kind of hybrid orange/pink/red affairs but look 'all red' from a distance.

Plus many of you have struggled with green bulbs etc etc.....they can't sell anything that won't meet TUV approval, and all reds won't cause they shine through red, or at best a very dark orange, which some colour blind old farts would see as red.

It's doable, but they'd need quite a few orders to make it worth their while. I wish hella would do some, cause FKs are poo quality.

Kev? how do Hella get away with selling Green, Blue, Black, Clear, RED and other colours for the Polos then?

Kev? how do Hella get away with selling Green, Blue, Black, Clear, RED and other colours for the Polos then?

They're not red red though are they? See Peugeot comment above, they use special filtering and as I say, I wish Hella would make some but they won't :(

umm, Suppose they are kinda pinky red... :|

Ah, just get some smoked ones... they look great! ;) :lol:

Thanks for the tips chaps. Will try this soon. In the meantime, how do you spray the indicators but leave stripes so they shine orange (like Moonlight VR and OSV) - after rubbing the lens down, firstly what would you use for strips and second how do you ensure that they are absolutely straight?

If you have a look at the rear lights you'll see that the lenses have sections to them - I just striped along these lenses using (of all things) Halfrauds bodystyling stripe! :lol: The narrowest one is what you need, should only be about £1.50...

Didn't rub down before spraying, just applied the stripes, sprayed three coats of tinting spray, removed the stripes, then did a fourth coat, then lacquered. Tinted my indicators green and all is peachy! Probably would have been better to rub down before the lacquer but mine's only a Passat and I was in a hurry...! ;)

If you want green bulbs I can do you a set as I still have lots of paint left. There's another big thread in Exterior about this, and there's a pic of my lights lit up in there too...

I have a red C and was thinking of tinting the tail lights red. Anybody recommend a paint in Halfords?

Cheers.

Baz.

They sell special "tinting spray" in a range of colours.

Just a bit of feedback - the best way i found was to carefully use a scalpel and slice the paint off. All this then needed was a polish with normal car polish and this removes any scratches.