Sign in to follow this  
kangaroo

Blackout when fans kick-in

Okay, not so much a blackout, but just recently whenever the cooling fans kick in there's a dip in power; the headlights and interior lights dim and even the car itself will lurch for a split second. Most noticeable when I'm crawing along in a queue.

Could it just be a naff battery? or something else? Car seems to start ok, perhaps a tad sluggish, but it always fires up.

Thanks for any advice.

Horrendously OT but.. where did you get the vectorised Corrado graphic in your avatar from mate?

Yes! Please!

If you wanna email it me it I can stick it on some web hosting for you (mailto:[email protected])... or if you have your own hosting then no worries. I'll delete these posts once its all sorted so it doesn't mess up your thread here.

kangaroo your battery is just getting a bit low, they usually do over winter, a good charge should sort it out!

The Fan motor saps a lot of current (check the size of the fuse next to the coolant bottle!) so will momentarily dim the lights and other extraneous electrical systems, as do the leccy windows just before the cutoff circuit kicks in.

A good way to beef up the electrical system is to go to GSF and get a 74AH Bosch Silver top battery, upgrade the negative to body earth strap to 0 guage, add an additional 4 guage strap to the engine, upgrade the alternator output wire to 0 or 2 guage and upgrade the headlight loom.

You would need a mega current draw to dim the lights after that little lot :)

Thanks for the replies, Gibber and Kev! Will give it a charge overnight and see how it goes before considering Kev's uber-upgrade :)

Jim: sent you the pic!

yup, with Kev here, clean up/replace the earth wires and you'll notice one hell of a difference... 8)

Just to conclude this one: gave it a charge and clean over the weekend, seems to be ok again! Will be keeping an eye on it though...

Cheers for all your help.