Sign in to follow this  
the_croft

Changing 1st and second gears on my corrado g60

Can anyone tell me how much hassle it would be to change the 1st and second gear from my g60 for Vr6 1st and 2nd.

also how much it would cost?

Thanks

Easier & better to change the whole box for one off a MK3 Golf GTI 8v.

These boxes already have longer 1st & 2nd gears.. :wink:

Changing the gears for VR 1st and 2nd cost wise is a difficult one. It all depends if you can get a good quality VR box at a decent price second hand. Ive done it and managed to pick up a box that the casing was damaged but the gears inside were like new. I got that at the rediculousy low price of £55 from ebay. Thats a bit of luck on my part as they will usually go for quite a bit more.

If you were to buy the gears new you need the input shaft (which has 1st & 2nd on it) then the opposing 1st and 2nd, reverse and the IIRC the 5th gear retaining pin, I think thats it, however that will cost you well into £600 from the stealers.

Then you need a reputable gearbox boffin to take apart both geaboxes and build the one. Vince at stealth is the best for this. He charges again IIRC about £750 for the complete rebuild (replacing synchromeshes etc) plus if you bought a secondhand VR box another £75 to strip that one to get the parts out.

Just remember though, if you bought a secondhand box, there is no guarantee to the condition and usability of the gears inside!!

use the vr6 gears then u will get 60mph in 2nd gear
MK3 Golf GTi box will also give 60mph in 2nd gear.. :wink:

You actually get to around 65mph in 2nd with VR gears. This is better as with standard G60 gearing you can only get to around 55mph in 2nd and therefore making 0-60 times slow due to 2 gear changes.

it also means that when you hit 3rd gear you're higher up in the rev range and are smack bang in the peak torque range for the G60 engine, so it also improves your 30 -> 70 (or above ;) ) times as well...

The reason I did mine originally wasn't for 0-60 times... I did it because I sat down with Vince and had a long chat about what I wanted from my gearbox... I felt that I was happy with the box in general but always felt that 2nd was just too short and the 2nd -> 3rd change was too big a jump in ratios meaning that it bogged down into third when REALLY giving it some... I didn't get that problem after the rebuild... 8)

Phat_vr6 had put me onto the idea initially (and actually managed to source me a VR6 box :notworthy: 8) ) so I had an idea about doing it, but it was Vince who actually convinced me it was a good idea... 8)

Thanks all for your info, not really wanting to spend in the region of £500 upwards. Might consider trying to get a mk3 gearbox but if its gonna cost too much ill stick with what i have, am totaly happy with the 3rd gear as it really shoots up to 80, just on the bottom end some cars have pulled away a bit more than i would like........

what about a box from a passat gt,2.0 16v???

how would this box feel on a g60?

neil. :)

AFAIK, it was the Mk3 GTi 16V box that was discussed a few times in a few different threads on this forum as a direct replacement for the G60 O2A box. Don't know about the 2.0 8V box though. Isn't the engine in the Passat GT 2.0 16V the same as in the Mk3 Golf GTi 16V i.e. the ABF tall-block ?

Cheers,

BigEastSideVWG60

Isn't the engine in the Passat GT 2.0 16V the same as in the Mk3 Golf GTi 16V i.e. the ABF tall-block ?

its the 9a engine m8,basically the same bar a slightly diffarent,some say,insignificent conrod ratio :? :lol:

i think all mk3's are rod change?

just found the ratio's for the 9a o2a too. :-P

1st 3.778

2nd 2.118

3rd 1.429

4th 1.029

5th 0.837

R&P 3.684

neil.

didnt you get a shorter final drive too tho... ?

Nope, that would have been pointless IMHO... what's the point of putting in a LONGER 2nd gear and then shortening EVERY gear in the box by changing to a different final drive?!?