Sign in to follow this  
G60

G60 coolant leak

so i'm backing out of my dad's driveway shortly after showing him the car (he hadn't seen it before this past weekend) and he goes "you're leakin on my driveway!"

sure enough, coolant from right about where the charger bracket on the outlet side is, so the coolant drips off the oil pan basically. i just took that bracket out when i did the charger and there is a hole under there for when these blocks were carbed. i was told that this hole that the charger bracket covers will leak oil if not sealed properly... not coolant.

so.....i'm guessing that the leak is coming from the oil/cooland heat exchanger where the oil filter screws in. is there anything else around this location that could be leaking coolant. the engine bay is pretty clean so i can usually see leaks or any problems, but this is down under the charger bracket.. or somewhere near there.

any ideas?

Could be waterpump... If the car's been sat for a while, the seals dry out and then leak when the car starts getting run again... They're a sod for it... :roll:

Other stuff around there that often cause leaks could be:

The multi-outlet rubber hose that goes between the pump, block and oil cooler. (known to split at awkward times...)

The outlet flange from the front of the block with the 2 temp switches in it.

(it cracks or leaks from the gasket. If it's this, replace the plastic flange as well as the O ring as it'll probably crack when you change the O ring anyway! :roll: )

The metal pipe that runs round the front of the engine, over the gearbox end and up to the interior heater pipework. (normally corrodes at the corner of the block by the gearbox though)

The plastic thermostat housing part of the water pump which has a habbit of cracking and causing a leak.

Or, as you correctly point out, the oil cooler itself which is a favourite of mine to change when I buy a VW these days! :roll:

Sorry if this sounds like a nasty list, none of these are particularly bad to do (or expensive) but this is a pretty good list of the bits that often leak in the area you described... :wink: